Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE - bunch of silly people with no interest in athletics!

• 21-08-2009 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

RTE has been attacked for its "shameful" and "disappointing" treatment of our athletes after it snubbed Ireland's World Championships heroes.

The Irish team manager and Derval O'Rourke's team coach have both blasted the state broadcaster for failing to screen the most important event in world athetics, outside the Olympics.

Coach Tony Shine told the Herald that "only for the BBC we'd be lost" after RTE refused to show O'Rourke's historic appearance in the final of the 100 metres hurdles on Wednesday night.

Pipped

The most successful Irish sprinter in history narrowly missed out on a medal after she was pipped to fourth place in the final.

It was left to the BBC to take up the baton when RTE failed provide coverage.

On the night Derval ran for glory, RTE broadcast live from Athens a Champions League qualifier between Panathinaiakos and Atheltico Madrid.

And as David Gillick bids for glory in the final of the 400 metres tonight -- also unavailable on RTE -- the Irish team manager Patsy McGonagle declared that the state broadcaster's lack of coverage was "very disappointing".

When contacted for his opinioin on the matter, Mr Shine, head coach of the Leevale Athletics Club in Cork, said today: "It's a shame really; only for BBC we'd be lost.

"They interviewed her straight after the race, and Colin Jackson, in particular, made some really positive comments.

"It's their (the athletes') major championships. But we have to live with that."

And Patsy McGonagle echoed: "It's very disappointing from the athletes' point of view.

"On other occasions they have been quite good but on this occasion, they couldn't broadcast."

When asked by the Herald if they intended to show David Gillick's 400 metre final tonight RTE stated: "There will be live coverage of Gillick's 400m final on 2FM at 8.15 pm, and up-to-the-minute reports provided online at RTE.ie/sport."

But listening on radio won't have quite the same impact for the fans and friends of the Ballinteer native as he goes for world glory.

In a statement defending its lack of TV coverage, RTE said that the European Championships were being given priority by the state broadcaster.

Focus

"RTE Television took the decision to focus on domestic athletic events and the European Athletics Championships."

But the performance of the Irish team in Berlin at the World championships has led to calls for a revision of this stance.

RTE has also been roundly attacked for failing to cover St Patrick's Athletics Europa league match in Romania last night, against former European Cup winners Steaua Bucharest, which they lost 3-0.

Ref: Evening Herald

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I agree, if I want to see a he/she run, I should be able to see a he/she run. And I shouldn't need the internet to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So are you saying they're such GAA-long tossers that they'd rather show soccer than athletics? Not sure I follow that logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Changed it to "athletics"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hmmm,you are a struggling braodcaster that needs as much advertising revenue as possible.

Do you

A - Show a sporting event that few people give a crap about

or

B - Show a sporting event that thousands of people would watch

I wonder?

As for the thread title,even if it was a GAA match that was shown instead,so what.

Its our national game FFS.

Every broadcaster will try and cater for its majority viewership and the fact of the matter is,few people care about athletics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Athletics? Really? Who gives a toss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Watchin Usain Bolt's WR 200m was great on BBC HD. Who needs RTE?
    Probably showing re-runs of nationwide or fair city. I hope TV3 wipes their eye with sports coverage next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I wasn't impressed with their lack of coverage of the world championships in Berlin. If the Irish athletes had more support of the government and RTE maybe we would be more successful in the games. Who actually gives a rat's ass about Panathinaiakos and Atheltico Madrid. Fair enough if it was a proper team like Man United or Chelsea, I could see the interest in broadcasting a soccer match. But how much of the Irish population supports one of those teams?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They don't seem to mention in the article who was having sex with which relation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Changed that heading again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

humanji wrote: »
    I agree, if I want to see a he/she run, I should be able to see a he/she run. And I shouldn't need the internet to do it!

and when you say he/she, are you referring to the south african athlete???:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't worry when RTE go all digitally interactive they can have minority interests behind the red button (checks watch....calander...time Period).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I've always been a fan of Derval. If only Sonia had the mental stength that this girl has. Surprised they didnt show the two big races on the telly.

02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not normally an athletics fan but I've really enjoyed watching the Championships this week. The races involving Usain Bolt in particular will stay with me for a long time and were an example of sport at its very best. The efforts of the Irish competitors was also very good. I also remember being surprised at how well that girl Derval did.

I do think it's a real shame that RTE overlooked all of this when it's watching stuff like this that could capture the imagination of some Irish youngster out there and quite possibly inspire him/her to try for a medal one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If they'd been out there, there be another "expert" criticising them for wasting money on minority sports . CL Games and that god forsaken Lord of the Rings gives them bums on seats. Athletics will only do so when it is a part of the Olympics or sadly if we have an almost certain for a medal. Given the choice I'd sooner watch Michael Johnson and Colin Jackson than the likes of our pundits, Kiernan and Coughlan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thread title edited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I thought they should have provided at least some coverage. It is ridiculous that nothing was shown except for bits on the news.
    Who actually gives a rat's ass about Panathinaiakos and Atheltico Madrid. Fair enough if it was a proper team like Man United or Chelsea, I could see the interest in broadcasting a soccer match. But how much of the Irish population supports one of those teams?

You would have a point if RTÉ were not contractually obliged to show a game from the Champions League playoffs. But they had to show agame. Next Wednesday they will again have to show a game live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I do think it's a real shame that RTE overlooked all of this when it's watching stuff like this that could capture the imagination of some Irish youngster

All RTE are interested in is capturing is as much advertising/licence revenue as they can, allowing them piss it away on cable access quality shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Hilarious how people bemoan RTE for not showing it and then hope that TV3 'wipe their eyes in it'.. In that case, why aren't TV3 showing it now?

Considering the athletes that made the finals did so by exceeding expectations, I fully understand RTE for not punting for it, considering it was essentially free to air in this country anyway.. it's called a business decision.

Poor old RTE, damned if they do, damned if they don't.. and all they try to do is provide a nation with a television service that caters to the needs of as many people in the country at any one time, as possible.. something they've been pretty good at, but is far from easy.

In all honesty, if all people here want to watch is American imports then they should either move to America or get a satellite dish. In the meantime be preapred to share your HBO with stuff that actually has relevance and may in some way deliver something with a little bit of Irish Culture in it..

Anyway, got to go, I believe TV3 have an exclusive of Ant and Dec wrestling the Queen (of England)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I don't see how RTE could have don't anything different tbh. All broadcasters who have rights to Champions League matches have to show them no matter how little interest there is in a particular match. That's the contract you sign up to. The Champions League coverage makes a hell of a lot of money for RTE so they are not going to jeopardise that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Hmmm,you are a struggling braodcaster that needs as much advertising revenue as possible.

Do you

A - Show a sporting event that few people give a crap about

or

B - Show a sporting event that thousands of people would watch

I wonder?

As for the thread title,even if it was a GAA match that was shown instead,so what.

Its our national game FFS.
    they could have shown it for 5 minutes on rte1 there are no excuses in this they just don't care about their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Hilarious how people bemoan RTE for not showing it and then hope that TV3 'wipe their eyes in it'.. In that case, why aren't TV3 showing it now?

Considering the athletes that made the finals did so by exceeding expectations, I fully understand RTE for not punting for it, considering it was essentially free to air in this country anyway.. it's called a business decision.

Poor old RTE, damned if they do, damned if they don't.. and all they try to do is provide a nation with a television service that caters to the needs of as many people in the country at any one time, as possible.. something they've been pretty good at, but is far from easy.

So Irish people wouldn't have been interested in watching Usain Bolt run the fastest ever times the world has seen? Horse Jumping at the RDS is OK, but not watching the fastest man ever run the fastest time ever? I think you will find Bolt alone has generated massive interest in the games worldwide and coupled with Irish invovlement in the games, it was worthy of a "punt". I reckon most people in this country at the time Bolt was running the 100m were watching it on BBC and not whatever RTE dished up, so would it not have been a good "business decision" to give the people something they would want to see?

God forbid anything get in the way of the 9 millionth showing of Reeling in the Years eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pjays

I was disappointed that RTE neglected to show the World Championships. I'm not an athlete or into athletics big time but I enjoy watching. I found this year's to be particularly interesting and enjoyable. I have only just gotten NTL in the house so luckily I had BBC for most of it and then was able to switch over to Eurosport to watch the end of the Decathlon and a brilliant Women's High Jump.
    I have to say Berlino the Bear (I think that's his name) has been brilliant to watch:). Every sporting event should have a mascot like him. He was involved with every champion celebrating. It was great to watch! Definitely agree with the poster above. Realistically how many people in Ireland are going to want to watch the Athletico Madrid game. At least Sky had on Celtic and Arsenal. One you might watch.
    I'm just particularly annoyed we didn't even get the chance to watch Olive Loughnane win her medal on RTE. Boo to that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Yet they have plenty of airtime for Derval O'Rourke when she's hawking for that noted athlete fuel superstore, Spar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Pjays wrote: »
    I was disappointed that RTE neglected to show the World Championships. I'm not an athlete or into athletics big time but I enjoy watching. I found this year's to be particularly interesting and enjoyable. I have only just gotten NTL in the house so luckily I had BBC for most of it and then was able to switch over to Eurosport to watch the end of the Decathlon and a brilliant Women's High Jump.
    I have to say Berlino the Bear (I think that's his name) has been brilliant to watch:). Every sporting event should have a mascot like him. He was involved with every champion celebrating. It was great to watch! Definitely agree with the poster above. Realistically how many people in Ireland are going to want to watch the Athletico Madrid game. At least Sky had on Celtic and Arsenal. One you might watch.
    I'm just particularly annoyed we didn't even get the chance to watch Olive Loughnane win her medal on RTE. Boo to that.

Its a pity they didn't show it. But with the cuts in RTE i suppose they have to pick and choose stuff now sadly.

A few years ago did did broadcast World Champs, and also had Uefa Cup football games involving Irish teams.
    This week St Pats played a game in Romania, 1 match away from being 1st ever club to get to a euro group stage.....ok in the end they lost, but i remember seeing 2nd round qualifiers on RTE a few years ago.

The recession hits them too, and the Athletics is big, but they know that 95% of Irish people can see it on BBC or Eurosport...so can't blame them for turning it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Nolanger wrote: »
    failing to screen the most important event in world athetics, outside the Olympics.

Might be the most important event in athletics outside the olympics, but when the olympics is already at the bottom of the sporting pile, it seems about right that the athletics championship is treated as the non-even that it is.

Athletics was buried in Seoul in 1988, having died about 16 years earlier. It deserves no posthumous pardon.

Sandwich wrote: »
    Athletics was buried in Seoul in 1988, having died about 16 years earlier. It deserves no posthumous pardon.

In your opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Of course we forget that there are 2 other national stations TV3 and TG4 that could have also provided coverage of the events in Berlin. Not only do we have 2 other national stations but we even have a sports channel, why didn't Setanta Sports provide coverage?

While RTÉ do have some question to answer, so to do TV3, TG4 and Setanta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Why would Setanta be obliged to carry it and in any event it is a subscription service not available on terrestrial television?

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Why would Setanta be obliged to carry it and in any event it is a subscription service not available on terrestrial television?

No but if none of the 3 Terrestrial Broadcasters are willing to broadcast the event wouldn't you think that Setanta (a sports service) should be interested in the World Atheltics Championships, I suppose they are too busy with coverage of the Schools Rugby.

Elmo wrote: »
    NI suppose they are too busy with coverage of the Schools Rugby.

Setanta should not show Schools Rugby?

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Setanta should not show Schools Rugby?

I amn't saying the shouldn't but it isn't as important as the World Atheltics now is it. And as Bond said .....

"Why would Setanta be obliged to carry" Schools Rugby "and in any event it is a subscription service not available on terrestrial television?"

I suppose Schools Rugby can afford the Setanta Pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭medja

Simple and straightforward, not many would watch the Athletics. I've loads of sports mad friends who would watch almost anything but Athletics does nothing for them. The viewing figures probably back me up.

It hit a sort of peak with Sonia but since then, the irish almost all seem to under preform (with some honourable exceptions of course) and then complain conditions are never right. Obviously that's just a point of view but it's one that many have.

At the same time, the achievements of other Athletic competitors are always under suspicion. That may be unfair but that's the way it is.

Most people can watch the BBC. If they really want to see the Athletics they'll see them. For once Setanta had the cop on not to buy the rights to something that was freely available elsewhere.

medja wrote: »
    Most people can watch the BBC. If they really want to see the Athletics they'll see them. For once Setanta had the cop on not to buy the rights to something that was freely available elsewhere.

But shouldn't we at least support or Athletes? RTÉ, TV3, TG4 and Setanta all show other sports that many wouldn't be interested in.

One of the reason that our Athletes may not do that well is because their is no support from their own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    In your opinion of course.

Of course. But in a lot of other people's also. From its position as the 'purest' form of sporting achievement that it had, and ranking as one of the worlds most popular spectator/viewing sports, it has, like it or not, and whether it has cleaned up its act or not, become very much a minority interest. Ref: direct earning power, popular esteem, recognition, 'celebrity', endorsement/PR value of athletes versus other sports. Most other sports have seen extraordinary earnings and following support growth over the last 20 years. But athletics has diminished. What were peers, are now seperated by a gulf.

In the end I just feel RTE is probably making the correct decision not to show it : availability to the public through another FTA channel, the cost, the public demand and likely viewing figures/advertising revenue. And, I hope without being unfair to any of the Irish competitors, its not as if we were going with a team of world beaters or even challengers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 beni

They will always keep admiring the likes of BOLT. Look at BBC the way they support their Athletes even if they do not win, and I bet they will perform well in Olympic 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If they did a Sky job on the promotional ads, there is a lot there that would have been of interest to the Irish supporters. Most people would be interested in seeing Bolt breaking the records for both 100 and 200, and would be interested in Hession and O'Rourke.

Sandwich wrote: »
    In the end I just feel RTE is probably making the correct decision not to show it : availability to the public through another FTA channel, the cost, the public demand and likely viewing figures/advertising revenue. And, I hope without being unfair to any of the Irish competitors, its not as if we were going with a team of world beaters or even challengers.

The BBC is only FTA via Satellite. RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 as national broadcasters should have taken pride in the Irish Athletics, even if it was just to show the Irish participants' races. Setanta could have earn some kudos with the Irish audience for showing the games on Setanta Ireland (which is available on the most basic UPC cable package.)
    Ref: direct earning power, popular esteem, recognition, 'celebrity', endorsement/PR value of athletes versus other sports.

This may also be due to the fact that it isn't shown as much as it used to be, with pay TV focusing on "big" sports. Again we should support Irish Athletics as much as any other sport.

But RTÉ aren't the only ones to blame IMO.

The BBC is only FTA via Satellite. RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 as national broadcasters should have taken pride in the Irish Athletics, even if it was just to show the Irish participants' races. Setanta could have earn some kudos with the Irish audience for showing the games on Setanta Ireland (which is available on the most basic UPC cable package.)

This may also be due to the fact that it isn't shown as much as it used to be, with pay TV focusing on "big" sports. Again we should support Irish Athletics as much as any other sport.

But RTÉ aren't the only ones to blame IMO.

I agree that we should support our competitors at any sport but Athletics is way down the list at this stage. It's needs a PR job at both national and international level.

However, it's time seems to have past for the moment at least.

Pay TV focuses on Big sports because people watch them. Pay TV does not focus on Athletics. In other words poor audiences.

Setanta may be on UPC on a basic package but it's not free on SKY, while BBC is. It would make no commercial sense for them to show the event. It is fair to point out it didn't stop them in the past showing Events that were free elsewhere and trying to charge (F1, Golf, various football games).

Basically RTE have to work with a budget, they probably made the right call.

I agree that we should support our competitors at any sport but Athletics is way down the list at this stage. It's needs a PR job at both national and international level.

However, it's time seems to have past for the moment at least.

Pay TV focuses on Big sports because people watch them. Pay TV does not focus on Athletics. In other words poor audiences.

Setanta may be on UPC on a basic package but it's not free on SKY, while BBC is. It would make no commercial sense for them to show the event. It is fair to point out it didn't stop them in the past showing Events that were free elsewhere and trying to charge (F1, Golf, various football games).

Basically RTE have to work with a budget, they probably made the right call.

The BBC is not free on Sky it is free on Satellite.

Pay TV need fillers to their bigger sports, as I pointed out Setanta Ireland are happy to support Schools Rugby, but perhaps that is a bit of elitism.

And again if you don't mind if I repeat myself both TV3 and TG4 could have shown these games.

• Advertisement

The BBC is not free on Sky it is free on Satellite.

You're correct of course.

As for TG4 carrying it, you might have a point.

TV3 are a commercial enterprise. they'd end up throwing away money. If they didn't cover such events in a time of boom, it's unlikely they'll do so in a time of bust.

I heard loads of people complaining that they couldn't watch the US golf Open on RTE, I haven't heard a mention of the athletics on my travels.

Setanta Ireland are happy to support Schools Rugby but there was money to be made from it.

I heard loads of people complaining that they couldn't watch the US golf Open on RTE, I haven't heard a mention of the athletics on my travels.

Does boards not count? I don't even like sports :rolleyes:
    TV3 are a commercial enterprise. they'd end up throwing away money. If they didn't cover such events in a time of boom, it's unlikely they'll do so in a time of bust

Grrrrrrr grrrrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Boards doesn't count because it's the internet. It could be just be a certain E.Coughlan who stirring things up...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Realistically how many people in Ireland are going to want to watch the Athletico Madrid game. At least Sky had on Celtic and Arsenal. One you might watch.
    Sky had on Celtic and Arsenal on a different night to the Atletico game. As, it should be mentioned, did TV3 so RTE had no option but to show the other game, which I for one watched because it made a change to the usual English big 4 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

knowing rte they will probably show an hour long show in a week or two with about 15 minutes of coverage

:D

At least Sky had on Celtic and Arsenal. One you might watch.

RTÉ will have the return leg. Sky wont but they will be showing the second leg of the tie nobody would want to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

we have expectations of rte that we don't have of the other stations

did the atheles compete as a national team or as individuals?

why does the government fund our athletes and not have them seen, both the atheletes and rte are funded by the gov and indirectly should be working to get our athletes seen and get their monies worth in inspiring more atheletes,(and get more sponsors) part of sport is being seen doing the sport, why did the gov not finsh the job.

ratings aren't always the final say.

i wonder how much it actually cost so to buy a full package , or highlights package, i know they would have extremely limited in what you could buy and you couldt really just by 5 mins of live coverage of irish finalists.

iaaf should have given it to rte for free if no station in ireland was going to buy it, they could only gain eyeballs for their corperate sponors, i know you suggest that would cheapen the product and other broadcasters would comaplin, but does jamaica station really pay the same amount as french station or other small countries with little tv competition.

iaaf should have given it to rte for free if no station in ireland was going to buy it

Then TV3 and TG4 would ask why they cant have it for free.

I think if it is late in the day and no broadcaster has bought the rights then one of the broadcasters should go to the Rights body of whatever sporting event and let them know that they are willing to broadcast the event as long as no rights fee is incurred. Or that the owner of the rights gives it to who that think are best able to provide coverage.

Note that RTÉ and Setanta did ask for free rights to an Irish soccer team's Champions League qualifier game only to be refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think if it is late in the day and no broadcaster has bought the rights then one of the broadcasters should go to the Rights body of whatever sporting event and let them know that they are willing to broadcast the event as long as no rights fee is incurred. Or that the owner of the rights gives it to who that think are best able to provide coverage.

I think the Athletics body (or any sporting body) would tell them to go and jump :pac:
    Its important to make it clear that you have to pay for the rights, otherwise Irish TV (and doubtless other TV stations around the world) would be coming back looking for a freebie the next time as well.

As an example Star TV looked for a huge amount of money (£3M I think) back in 2000 for the Turkey v Ireland playoff match for Euro2000. Everyone thought that as the hour got closer they would accept RTEs offer of £250K. But they held out and the game wasn't shown in Ireland, so whilst in theory they lost out on £250K they got it back in the next campaign when broadcasters realised that there was little point in trying to bluff them and you had to pay the price they wanted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement