Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE - bunch of silly people with no interest in athletics!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think the Athletics body (or any sporting body) would tell them to go and jump :pac:
    Its important to make it clear that you have to pay for the rights, otherwise Irish TV (and doubtless other TV stations around the world) would be coming back looking for a freebie the next time as well.

As an example Star TV looked for a huge amount of money (£3M I think) back in 2000 for the Turkey v Ireland playoff match for Euro2000. Everyone thought that as the hour got closer they would accept RTEs offer of £250K. But they held out and the game wasn't shown in Ireland, so whilst in theory they lost out on £250K they got it back in the next campaign when broadcasters realised that there was little point in trying to bluff them and you had to pay the price they wanted.

3million was far too much to ask for the game espically if no one else is willing to bid againist you. I am sure TG4, TV3, Setanta and RTÉ could all bid for such a game but lets remember they have to earn their money back and 3million for one International match for a small country (population wise) does not make any sense. As public service broadcasters (RTE and TG4) 3million was certainly out of the question for one match. Can't image that it would be worth 3 MILLION to the commercial broadcasters either.

Which is more important that you build up a following or that you let go of your rights every now and then, TBH I think if Athletics wants to get coverage it is going to have to look at the TV market and at the moment for RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 (even as Public Service Broadcasters) it does not make any sense for them to spend money on Rights for such games. However with a little nurturing from both the Athletics associaations and by the broadcasters Irish Athletics could be as big as Jamaican Athletics, who I am sure earn allot of money from TV rights, but then it is a more popular sport in Jamaica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i wonder if it was even on terrestrial tv in jamaica?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i wonder if it was even on terrestrial tv in jamaica?

Yes it was. Television Jamaica covered it. Here is their athletics schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

There is more to it I'd say, as it's honestly not like RTE not to show even a highlights package. I suppose when you think about it, the maximum number of Irish competitors in any one day was 3, and some days none, it didn't figure highly in their plans. Hand on heart, I think we'll all agree that RTE's sporting coverage is still very impressive compared to the bigger and wealthier stations.. We can harp on about lack of coverage for League of Ireland in Europe, but at the end of the day, away games always attract huge fees and broadcasting home ones do affect the attendence, which in turn affects the club.. for the record, this year was the first I can remember that there was not a single Irish team in the Europa/Uefa cup game shown live, so we gotta presume cutbacks..

And we can't really blame them for that.. can we?

Advertisement