Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Found a small chick in my garden

• 21-08-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

found this little fella in my garden. Seems to be a chick and cannot fly. What should i do with him besides leave him to the cats? Any idea what it is?

Cheers,
    M5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Not sure what it is but unless its injured its only chance is back where you found it. Have you had inside long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Not sure what it is but unless its injured its only chance is back where you found it. Have you had inside long?

Half an hour or so, he was outside about 2 hours ago hopping around. Pretty obvious he could not fly. Came out a little later and it was still there... got it to drink some water and put it in a box, as you see. So u say let him off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I would but not if the cat is sitting there licking its lips! They rarely survive in human care but then others will tell you differently and it is quite big and not exactly helpless looking. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

As judgement day said, its hard for them to survive in human care. Also though, if it cant fly i dont see it surviving the night outside. Unless you know what your at its hard to keep them alive. Did it fall from a nest nearby??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

found one in my garden too , dog got to it though poor thing didnt stand a chance :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Looks like a baby chaffinch. Fairly well fledged. Give it a perch and its parents will feed it. It only needs a couple more days. Unless it's injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Hi all, thanks for the replies

I left it beside the shed and it flew off into the next garden! Had it inside for about an hour. Fearless wee thing, actually had no problem perching on my hand/shoulder. even got a few pics :-)I guess it was best to let it fend for itself anyway. A flatmate once kept a blackbird chick for 5 weeks from quite a small size and it refused to leave her house even when encouraged to do so!

Cheers,
    M5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

is it a twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

great pic

Advertisement