Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaf senescence - early autumn???

• 21-08-2009 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anybody any thoughts or ideas on tree leaves dying earlier this year. Is it just me or are they about a month ahead of normal?

The first week of august I noticed leaves discolouring on trees here in Roscommon and in Galway and the rate of decay progressing rapidly now. It not just one or two species either - almost all types seem to be early.

Does anybody have any records of what dates leaf senescence ususlly starts? Im just thinking that its the cumulative high levels of water in the soils all year that has the trees worn out...! Temperature wouldn't be an issue - as I dont think there's been any frosts yet, and trees in the west seem to be yellowing quicker - I work in Meath.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Cant say iv noticed in fairness. Wil have a look tomo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i noticed it a few weeks ago - first on the trees on o'connell street opposite the GPO, but have seen some horse chestnuts beginning to turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

ive noticed it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

One day last week while driving along the Naas Road a leaf fell on my windscreen and it made me pause for a moment. Then when I looked up at the trees I saw they had pretty much turned and I mentioned to a few different people that autumn has arrived early this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Have not noticed this - perhaps it is a city thing? Everything is still green and leafy out in wicklow. Am I right in thinking Horse Chesnuts are always the first to turn in the autumn? A tree I knew was always turning brown a good 6 weeks before all the others. They are certainly one of the first trees to get their leaves in the spring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Somebody asks this every year. It's the same this year as any. Leaves start dropping in August every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

low nighttime temps? my outdoor tomatoes are completely dead, they usually last most of september. Worst...summer...ever...

Advertisement