Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is involved in the UL Orientation?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Watch me leave out something totally important. Just pay attention to the twenty or so words in bold text if you're short on time. That's the necessary list.

Day 1:

Welcome session in the main concert hall. That always comes first, it'll be the college president giving you the hello if you're starting on Wednesday or Thursday. On Tuesday it'll be the college veep/registrar. You'll be sorted into groups of about 10 based on your course. That'll be a long affair as people in the same course don't sit next to each other as they don't know each other. This part would be half an hour shorter if everyone was psychic. Unfortunately no-one is but it's nice to be welcomed by the president as while the current guy is quite approachable, you might not see him again until you graduate.

Somewhere in here is the compulsory parent-dumping for the tiny number of poor souls whose parents come with them and want to follow them around for the day. Your tour guide (see below) will either give them the slip on your behalf or very politely tell them to go away as they're getting in the way of the rest of their child's life. Or something in between.

Campus tour. Your group will have a tour guide. They'll take you round the campus. If your tour guide is professional (and we all hope he/she will be) they'll show you all the sights and main places you need to go to, won't lose you and will remember to give you all their mobile number in case you get lost and can't find them. They will at least have the cop-on to give you their name loudly and clearly so that someone else can find them for you if you can't. There was a very high level of applications for the jobs this year so they should all be good and professional. When your tour guide gives his/her name, remember it. You won't need to remember their surname but if you get lost, a first name and your course should be enough for people to find your group for you. Your tourguide may be someone who's doing your course or they may not be. Ask them if they are.

You'll have to enrol. This will mean going to a big hall (block E, floor G, room 10, so it's called EGO-10) and telling people that you're there. You'll have to have the forms they sent you in the post signed and completetd in advance where appropriate (except for the one that tells you not to sign it with anything other than the special magic pen when you get to UL. Don't sign that one). Make sure you have applicable fees paid. Bring all associated documentation that you should bring, the forms have been sent to you. When they're taking your photo, it's the one you'll get stuck with for four years. Keep this in mind when you're grinning like an ape. If all goes well, this will be short. If something breaks down, it will be long and painful so if your campus tour suddenly becomes longer, you'll know that something has broken down. Incidentally, you will still have to register after this in week 1. You enrol for university, then every term you register for your modules. They'll fine you if you don't, so it's important. If you need a form completed and stamped for children's allowance (lots of you will want this) they don't stamp these until week 2 of term. This is not a problem, in fact it's easier for you so put your parent's minds at rest if they're worried about it.

You'll have a course meeting, where you will meet faculty members from your course and possibly be given your timetable and tutorial details. You will have an advisor meeting, where your assigned academic advisor will have a chat with all of you. I couldn't think of anything hilarious to say about these, they are important but boring. A small number of courses will have garda vetting (this only applies if it is a course where there will be involvement with children AFAIK).

Day 2:

You will have a Students' Union welcome session in the concert hall. The welfare officer has said you may need to go to this to get your free tickets for whatever free gig is on (see below). There may be fun, frolics and in olden days people used to give out free condoms and show people how to put a condom on a cucumber. Which is good if you're afraid of pregnancy by marauding cucumber. Putting a condom on a cucumber with your teeth, now that's impressive(ish).

There's something else called "day2 Activity Sign Up". I don't know what this is so I have nothing even hinted-amusing to say about it. Campus clubs and societies are doing things every afternoon during Orientation Week, so it may be associated with this.

There's also a free gig or two during the week. Don't know anything about who, where or when but I'm sure one of the SU peeps can tell you.

All of these things are important. The most important of all of these important things is to enrol. That's why I've included the room number.

I'll probably just redirect anyone else who asks the same question to this thread so thanks for starting it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

sceptre wrote: »
    You'll have to have the forms they sent you in the post signed and completetd in advance where appropriate (except for the one that tells you not to sign it with anything other than the special magic pen when you get to UL. Don't sign that one).

Oooooppssss :o
    Thanks for that.
    Very helpful and amusing

Thanks, I was doing fine till I just realised I'd given the wrong floor for the enrollment room:) (now corrected in case)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

University VP Academic And Registrar Paul McCutcheon will welcome you if your welcome session is on Tuesday. On Wednesday and Thursday you will be welcomed by President Don Barry.

ninty9er wrote: »
    University VP Academic And Registrar Paul McCutcheon will welcome you if your welcome session is on Tuesday. On Wednesday and Thursday you will be welcomed by President Don Barry.
    Thanks, amended (worse, I was told that about two hours ago and forgot). I'm not amending anything else as I should be doing other things but post-post addendums and errata are always welcome:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cheers for the help, Sceptre. That was a work of art.

Onwards to Business with French! :)

EDIT: My orientation days are Wednesday and Thursday, therefore am I free on the Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Amberw122

I am sooo confused, im doing computer systems so i have to go in tuesday but what date is 'Day 2'?? it prob a stupid question but i really couldnt follow the booklet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I'm guessing Day2 is Friday? I'm in Humanities and as far as I can see my Day 1 is Thursday, the orientation booklet faied to inform me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shaner88

Day 2 is the second day of YOUR orientation. If your Day 1 is on Tuesday, then your Day 2 is on Wednesday.
    Likewise, if your Day 1 is on Wednesday, then your Day 2 will be on Thursday.
    Basically, Day 2 is either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Shaner88 wrote: »
    Day 2 is the second day of YOUR orientation. If your Day 1 is on Tuesday, then your Day 2 is on Wednesday.
    Likewise, if your Day 1 is on Wednesday, then your Day 2 will be on Thursday.
    Basically, Day 2 is either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday!

Cheers for that

It's hard being a newbie :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Amberw122

Yep thanks, atleast now i have an idea of when im supposed to go in haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Unfortunately I won't be able to make orientation week-as I have a friend over for the first week. So does anyone know the best thing to do when I do manage to get down to UL after orientation week. Think i might email my course director in advance...
    ahhh...its getting closer!

Unfortunately I won't be able to make orientation week-as I have a friend over for the first week. So does anyone know the best thing to do when I do manage to get down to UL after orientation week. Think i might email my course director in advance...
    ahhh...its getting closer!
    Bad week to have a friend over....come down for your day 1. Bring your friend and have a bit of craic.

yeh think i might have to make the trip up to get my orientation done. I literally have no idea whats what around campus!! Does anyone know roughly how long this orientation thing should last? Just so I can either leave the friend in dublin, or bring her up for the day and leave her in Limerick city for the day!!:D

yeh think i might have to make the trip up to get my orientation done. I literally have no idea whats what around campus!! Does anyone know roughly how long this orientation thing should last? Just so I can either leave the friend in dublin, or bring her up for the day and leave her in Limerick city for the day!!:D
    It's generally a full day. If you don't want to bring her to orientation with you, leave her in the Crescent Shopping Centre, that'll keep her occupied for most of a day. If you're living on campus, just bring an extra duvet for her and stay down overnight.

I think id be a little bit worried about bringing her down to stay the night on campus-dont wana get on the wrong side of roomates or the student accom management!! Thinking of staying down for the night anyways-make more sense!

I think id be a little bit worried about bringing her down to stay the night on campus-dont wana get on the wrong side of roomates or the student accom management!! Thinking of staying down for the night anyways-make more sense!
    As long as you let the village reception know and explain the situation (or not) they don't have an issue with it. Plus it'll be someone to talk to if the rest of your housemates haven't moved in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

my friend keeps tellin me that orientation starts for EVERYONE on tuesday the first.... he's wrong isnt he??? because im sure im starting on wednesday.. <confused>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

croker1 wrote: »
    my friend keeps tellin me that orientation starts for EVERYONE on tuesday the first.... he's wrong isnt he??? because im sure im starting on wednesday.. <confused>

yeah pretty sure he is, i know mine is thursday and friday anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

When applying for the UL Arena yoke, do you have to go into them to obtain the membership number?
    Or is that your UL ID number?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

Does anyone know for the orientation day for the masters, are former UL students expected to go to the whole thing? As in I just finished this year?

Here's the schedule for the day http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/285213756.pdf, but like I don't need to go on any tours of the Kemmy Business School, I think I know my way around it by now! I'm working that day (need all the money I can get at this stage!) and don't really want to take the whole day off, any thoughts? Does anyone know who Niall Fitzgerald is? I'll come in for the course meeting at 3, should I just come in for the whole day?

Also, I haven't received my Orientation Pack, I rang them this morning and they said if I haven't received it by Friday, let them know, thats leaving it a bit late in fairness but not much I can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

croker1 wrote: »

Yes he's wrong. Here you can click on the Faculty on the Left under 'Orientation Schedules' and then on your course to see which day you start on.
    Does anyone know for the orientation day for the masters, are former UL students expected to go to the whole thing? As in I just finished this year?

I'm not sure if you are obliged to attend all whole thing. Getting your id card and attending the opening talk on the course should be enough as you already know the campus. Someone else who has been in this situation may say more. If not you can ask the guide on the day. I can't see them making you go to everything.

Here's the schedule for the day http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/285213756.pdf, but like I don't need to go on any tours of the Kemmy Business School, I think I know my way around it by now! I'm working that day (need all the money I can get at this stage!) and don't really want to take the whole day off, any thoughts? Does anyone know who Niall Fitzgerald is? I'll come in for the course meeting at 3, should I just come in for the whole day?

Also, I haven't received my Orientation Pack, I rang them this morning and they said if I haven't received it by Friday, let them know, thats leaving it a bit late in fairness but not much I can do!

Niall Fitgerald is Chairman of Reuters News Agency. He is from Limerick and the lecture is to mark the official opening of the Trading Floor in the KBS

As for going to course meetings...definintely do this. It would probably be a good idea to do the tour to get to know the rest of the class rather than to see tha campus, which you already know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭So Many Shoes

Thanks for the replies The Don and ninty9er, got my Orientation Pack this morning and I think everyone has to attend the whole thing! Now I just have to book another Friday off work (graduation this Friday!)....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

My orientation days are the Weds and Thurs.. so do I go into UL on the Friday? :confused: Or just check out the area or something with my time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

My orientation days are the Weds and Thurs.. so do I go into UL on the Friday? :confused: Or just check out the area or something with my time:)

If your just scheduled to do things on Wednesday and Thursday then your free to do what you want on Friday. A good suggestion would be to meet up with a few people from your course and go to the stables for a while so that ye get to know each other better.

Or just go to the stables for a while and get to know the staff better, it comes in awfully handy when its busy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

I'm assuming for orientation you'll need some proof of identification? And since I just lost my only form of I.D will a birth cert do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Treetirty wrote: »
    I'm assuming for orientation you'll need some proof of identification? And since I just lost my only form of I.D will a birth cert do?

I had orientation yesterday and I wasnt asked for ID

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Treetirty

mid wrote: »
    I had orientation yesterday and I wasnt asked for ID
    Do you need it for registration?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Treetirty wrote: »
    Do you need it for registration?

no i wasnt asked for it

Advertisement