Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car dilema, which to choose...

• 21-08-2009 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

so, since my sisters have written off the seat leon the other day, we're looking for a new car. seeing as there are 5 of us arguing over which to go for , i'll put it to vote to the motor heads.

The vehicals: (overall costs turn out equal)

2005. Kia sportage. 107,000km. 2.0L diesel. 2 owners.
    2008. Seat Leon. 29,000km. 1.9L TDI. 1 owner.

both black, both in very good condition representative of their year.

driving conditions:

live in the country side. so whether you think handling or having might is right on your side is more important from a safety stand point.

alot of country driving and long distance kilkenny-limerick-dublin driving.

so, which would you go for?.... and leave a comment as to why if you could.

if i'm leaving something out, do let me know.

Which car would you have? (assuming equal overall costs) 41 votes

08 seat leon 1.9tdi
    0% 0 votes
    05 kia sportage 2.0l
    100% 41 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Seat much nicer car in every way
    better looking
    much better economy
    much much better to drive
    better resale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

go for another leon. The kia isn't a proper jeep, and not a patch on the leon to drive. I cover 1k a week in my leon and honestly it continues to impress me. Just try to get a stylance spec for the extras

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Leon, hands-down. Sportage isn't much of an off-roader, and that's pretty much the only thing it does better than the Leon. Then add the increased age and miles... doesn't look good for the Kia! The Leon has the handling you need for those twisty country roads, and when it comes to handling over brute strength the former is what you need - it gives the driver a much better ability to adapt to and avoid situations altogether. Plus it will utterly destroy the Sportage on those long-range cruises - more refined and vastly better economy (as the engine doesn't have to carry the weight of a small tank :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

leon's are very well built from my experience with them.
    highly recommended :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Has to be the Seat. The Kia was nothing more than a "boom" car bought by people trying to show off to their neighbours in boom times ( Ironically by buying a Kia ). A Sportage has no redeemable features. Crap to look at, crap to drive, crap interior, just crap. The petrol version scores very high on my crapometer and what should be the saving grace, the diesel version isnt very good on diesel. Toped off with a woefull resale value and running costs comparable with a mid sized luxury saloon there doesnt leave a lot to recomend it. Unless you're desparate for street cred and for some strange reason driving a Kia soft roader gives you that feeling there is no reason at all why id suggest you should buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

this is going a little in one direction then huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Dont mean to sound smart but its sliding faster than the car its replacing. Saab Ed made me laugh there. My uncle has the hyundai version of the kia and it was bought surely for because it looks like a jeep. Petrol 2 wheel drive to top it off. Awful yoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

:D 100% for the seat so!, based on looks alone i would definetly pick the leon,nice looking car compared to some stuff on the roads!

whats the mpg difference between them,you say the running costs are the same but surely the kia is a bit worse on fuel economy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

the vote is kinda one sided so far isnt anyone going to give the kia a pity vote :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ask yourself if you would you buy a Hynudai Elantra? Then ask yourself if you would buy a Hyundai Elantra estate with a raised ride height, extra weight and diminished ride and handling?
    In case you were wondering, I voted Seat.

• Advertisement

Oi! Who did that?! Fess up! Who put in that sympathy vote?!?! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

neither or them are good choices , :cool:
    try a bmw 320 touring estate
    heres one http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/DTouring/200840190232972/advert?channel=CARS

'Twas waiting for the Beemer Squad to attack :D Wouldn't that be a fair whack more expensive to insure and maintain though? :P

Solitaire wrote: »
    'Twas waiting for the Beemer Squad to attack :D Wouldn't that be a fair whack more expensive to insure and maintain though? :P

doubt it, its same to insure as a 2.0 litre kia or seat,,,easy to mantain, just keep it away from main dealer and service at good mehanics work shop.
    diesel bmw has no timing belt to change, its chain driven, goes for ever,
    2.0D bmw 320d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Saab Ed wrote: »
    The petrol version scores very high on my crapometer
    I lol'ed:P:D

Seriously though OP, in virtually every area, the Leon is a far(x 20) better car. Much nicer to drive day to day. You say you live in the country so i suspect the kia may make you sick through the bends, and dont get me started about the ride comfort on the sportage.

Other areas, say refinement, the kia will be noisy and it will drink a bit more fuel than you might think. The leon will happily return over 50mpg, and probably be much faster.

The only thing is that you say "there are 5 of us arguing over which to go for". Are you sure an MPV wouldn't be better suited to your needs?
    argosy2006 wrote: »
    neither or them are good choices , :cool:
    try a bmw 320 touring estate
    heres one http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/DTouring/200840190232972/advert?channel=CARS

Do you seriously think that would be comfortable for five people to travel in the back?

buy this, i know i would if i was in your position
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/E-Class/270-Esta/200904191564024/advert?channel=CARS
    its big,comfortable, loads of room, get for long trips on motorway and country side
    its automatic so a pleasure to drive, shame its 2.7 diesel,, tax bit high, but thats only draw back,,

Advertisement