Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple claiming rent-relief when only one name on lease

Options
  • 21-08-2009 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,

Legal question, I'd appreciate your input. My wife and I had been renting this apartment for the past few months and only moved out last week (having given the appropriate notice, etc.). We've only now gotten around to claiming for rent-relief, but it's just dawned on me that because I was the only signatory on our lease I may be the only person eligable to claim relief. It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that our landlord isn't registered and wants to pay us cash, but will only pay the equivalent of one persons rent-relief because there was only one name on the lease.

What's our redress in this case? I'd rat him out but we've left the place last week and we're waiting for him to send us the deposit (even though we've left the place in perfect condition).

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am not sure but as you are married I am pretty sure you can both claim it even though only your name is on the lease.
    If you ring the revenue they will tell you.
    www.revenue.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Banjoseph

Myself and my wife have both been claiming rent relief for a few years - the rent is €1400 so we both said on the forms that we are paying €700 each.
    I'm sure it's not a problem, you don't need to have your name on a lease to claim.
    Also, if either of you aren't working then the other one can claims certain allowances, including rent relief, for both.
    We didn't supply the landlord's PPS number on the forms for rent relief and we got it anyway. Just send off the forms stating when you started renting and you should get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you are declaring jointly, you will probably get it for both anyway.

If you are declaring separately, presumably you are both contributing to the rent and are in effect, both paying.

you get the relief from revenue, not your landlord.

Odd that there is a lease if he isn't registered.

Advertisement