Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

owning an animal plus working

Options
  • 21-08-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

I'd love to get a puppy or kitten in the future but would feel guilty as i'm out of the house from 8 til 5, and would be afraid it'd be lonely all day on its own, only thing putting me off! How do people own an animal plus work? Get two animals to keep eachother company?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Two kittens! :D

They keep each other company during the day. Also, you get double the affection when you come home in the evening.

The only downside is double the mess in the litter tray and double the hairs to be hoovered up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 tequilarose24

Heroditas wrote: »
    Two kittens! :D

They keep each other company during the day. Also, you get double the affection when you come home in the evening.

The only downside is double the mess in the litter tray and double the hairs to be hoovered up!

thanks for advice!
    sister kittens would be lovely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I agree with two kittens, two dogs might cause a problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

I agree with two kittens, two dogs might cause a problem :)

What sort of a problem would two dogs cause?
    I have two dogs and they don't cause a problem.

OP you don't say if you have a garden. If you do then it would be just as suitable to get two dogs, they would keep each other company so they would never be on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

True - what kind of place do you live in? (apartment/house/garden size etc)
    Could you keep two dogs? If you train them right they can be ok on their own during the day. Personally I wouldn't like leaving them alone for 8/9hours. But cats tend to bugger off and do their own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

You could also consider getting an older cat, who will be happy to doze away for the day when you are at work. Especially if it's a rescue cat from a shelter who will most likely be thrilled with the new set-up. Kittens can get up to mischief!

I used to be worried initially about leaving our cat at home alone as she's my first indoor cat, but when we're there all weekend she spends most of the day sleeping anyway, so I realised quickly that it wasn't a problem for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Two older cats or perhaps a cat mother and a kitten that are looking for a home. They'd keep each other company and if you get older cats even 3 or 4 years of age (which isn't old for a cat) they will sleep, eat and poop and will be fine until you come home. As long as they are comfy and have some toys and perhaps a cat tower to play on.

2 puppies for that lenght of time is too long, two is also double the work and can be double the noise. Not that 2 dogs can't work but with puppies they need a lot of human attention and they chew and swallow everything esp. young pups they need to be watched like a hawk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

kildara wrote: »
    What sort of a problem would two dogs cause?
    I have two dogs and they don't cause a problem.

OP you don't say if you have a garden. If you do then it would be just as suitable to get two dogs, they would keep each other company so they would never be on their own.

Two dogs, especially if they are young, can become bored, destructive and develope bad habits if left alone for alot of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Two dogs, especially if they are young, can become bored, destructive and develope bad habits if left alone for alot of the day.

This.

I feel guilty leaving my dog when I go to work, even though there's only 1 day a week that neither me nor my fiancé are home. I'd feel just as bad if there was 2 of them; they'd still get bored and lonely and misbehave.

Kittens, on the other hand, do great. I have 5 cats of my own who happily sleep and play with their when I'm out, and are pleased to see me when I get home. Same with the 6 foster kittens I have; they're quite capable of entertaining each other in my absence.

I would definitely recommend a pair of cats, either kittens or adults. The only real difference is that adults will get up to less mischief (kittens tend to chew cables, climb curtains etc. and keep you up during the night sometimes!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 tequilarose24

thanks for all the advice guys!:)
    didnt even think of mother cat and kitten, good idea!
    have a garden alright so plenty of space. will contact local shelter :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement