Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LED Sidelights

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I've a set of them on my car about a year now and the Gardai never mentioned it once to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cheers Duff! Got them cos i have the philips xtreme power but now it looks like super bright headlights and blue sidelights

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

any pics of them on and fitted to your car?

Now that you mention it:

Both lights on:
    5412_142068233383_623843383_3311995_446466_n.jpg

Sidelights on:

5412_142068248383_623843383_3311996_639347_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

I have them too, they a small bit blue not too blue tho. I got mine here http://www.focalprice.com/1W_Mini_LED_Auto_Lamp_LF230X_6076.html cheaper and free shipping

Here they are on my car a few months ago

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00073-1.jpg

• Advertisement

They look good Vain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

are they for your diiplights not the full beam lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Thanks for the pic of the golf. I was thinking about getting these but if they dont seem to be a problem then I might.

If you were stopped could you say that you had them fitted as those daytime running light's?
    Also, have you done an NCT with them installed?

EDIT:
    For the OP, as far as I know they are not allowed as they dont have the "E" stamp. If you look at your bulbs they should have some kind of stamp with an E. That means they are legal.
    Apparently at the moment LED's arent allowed on cars that never had LED's on in the first place, still though I dunno about parking lights, they seem insignificant.

bbk wrote: »
    If you look at your bulbs they should have some kind of stamp with an E. That means they are legal.

I mean the stock standard bulbs you got in the car.

Thanks for the pic of the golf. I was thinking about
    EDIT:
    For the OP, as far as I know they are not allowed as they dont have the "E" stamp. If you look at your bulbs they should have some kind of stamp with an E. That means they are legal.
    Apparently at the moment LED's arent allowed on cars that never had LED's on in the first place, still though I dunno about parking lights, they seem insignificant.

Thats interesting - will have a look! Halfords sell LED lights i think and blue headlights too - so I dont know if that means they are legal.

• Advertisement

Thats interesting - will have a look! Halfords sell LED lights i think and blue headlights too - so I dont know if that means they are legal.

Halfords make a point to say in the bulb description that its not for road use.

I think if its just a side light/parking light its not too much trouble.
    Brakwe lights and main headlights would cause you real trouble though, especially in a NCT situation.

But if a few members here have a them fitted and no trouble then Id say go for them. I will probably go for them not but I will be replacing them before I have any NCT's though, so keep your old bulbs incase.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Halfords make a point to say in the bulb description that its not for road use.

I think if its just a side light/parking light its not too much trouble.
    Brakwe lights and main headlights would cause you real trouble though, especially in a NCT situation.

But if a few members here have a them fitted and no trouble then Id say go for them. I will probably go for them not but I will be replacing them before I have any NCT's though, so keep your old bulbs incase.

Have HIDS & and LEDS except for Indicator & Brake Lights and have passed the NCT no problem once they cleary dont give off a Blue tint you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

theres a pic with LED's fitted on my old merc, top ones were standard 4led white led's, and the fogs were 19 smd led's on each side

20090627386.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

theres a pic with LED's fitted on my old merc, top ones were standard 4led white led's, and the fogs were 19 smd led's on each side

Where did you get the LED's for the sidelights ? - always thought they had to have those 'special' sidelight bulbs in them.

Also, pablosd, does your E have 2 or 4 screws holding on the no. plate bulb surround. Havn't had a chance to look at another but my 97 E had 4 crossheads, now my 00 E has 2 crossheads and 2 blanks - done want to 'force' it off unless I'm sure the blanks are locator pins for sure. !!

Capri wrote: »
    Where did you get the LED's for the sidelights ? - always thought they had to have those 'special' sidelight bulbs in them.

Also, pablosd, does your E have 2 or 4 screws holding on the no. plate bulb surround. Havn't had a chance to look at another but my 97 E had 4 crossheads, now my 00 E has 2 crossheads and 2 blanks - done want to 'force' it off unless I'm sure the blanks are locator pins for sure. !!

here s a link for the sidelights they are the t4w aka the bayonet type, i recommend you getting smd led's for the sidelights they look much better than standard leds

sorry but i never messed with nuberplate bulb surround and the car is long gone, if ur not sure bring it 2 friendly mechanic:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

here s a link for the sidelights they are the t4w aka the bayonet type, i recommend you getting smd led's for the sidelights they look much better than standard leds

smd led's is the link ? - I see smd leds on 'Global sources', but I thought they might have been available over the counter in Dublin somewhere ?

Capri wrote: »
    smd led's is the link ? - I see smd leds on 'Global sources', but I thought they might have been available over the counter in Dublin somewhere ?

no the link is for standard led's, im just recommending u, but just type in t4w smd on ebay and thousands of them come up

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭auto electrical

:Dled's are not a problem just a more efficient way of producing light just remember blue lights anywhere on the car are not allowed unless your first name is garda J.(Auto Electrical Concepts)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 keith_donaghy

I bought pure blue led sidelights for my clio a few years ago. had them on when parked up at a cruise and police didnt say anything as the main beam was still white.

Advertisement