Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HOW AND WHY

• 21-08-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

maybe i am being a bit ignorant,but can someone tell me why, a driver side window that doesnt go up or down constitutes failing the nct test.

i asked why it failed and he told me it was because "the window would break if i was in a crash"..so i replied so would the window not smash if it was working.

bit of a joke if you ask me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Yes it is a bit of a joke.

But, I crashed my car during the frosty mornings we had in January.
    I landed upside down in a drain. I couldn't open the doors, they were stuck in the undergrowth. I climbed out a window. I was glad my windows were working.
    Just thinking if the car was on fire, how glad I would be that the windows were working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Drivers window is pretty important to be honest

Paying tolls, carpark entrances, Talking to gardai at checkpoint.
    Also, its part of the driving test to know your hand signals. These involve sticking hand out the window so I guess the open window is in theory needed for this also. Interesting, even Obamas car has an opening drivers window. They must have deemed it important as its the only window that opens on the most secure car .. .. .. in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Satts wrote: »

I landed upside down in a drain. I couldn't open the doors, they were stuck in the undergrowth. I climbed out a window. I was glad my windows were working.
    Just thinking if the car was on fire, how glad I would be that the windows were working.

Yep - Been there and done that myself. You're spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Satts wrote: »

Sorry for derailing, but say for some reason you couldn't open the window - how would you break a window from the inside? I can't think of anything that's normally within reach of the drivers side that I could break the window with - most of my shoes are soft soled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Thoie wrote: »
    Sorry for derailing, but say for some reason you couldn't open the window - how would you break a window from the inside? I can't think of anything that's normally within reach of the drivers side that I could break the window with - most of my shoes are soft soled.

Your elbow.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Your elbow.:cool:

Dunno what kind of elbows you have, but mine won't break a car window. I think I have inferior elbows :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Get yourself a Lifesaver hammer in your local motorfactors.

Fit it properly with a could of self tapping screws, along the right hand side of the centre console or somewhere else you know you can reach it.

No point in putting it in a pocket/glovebox etc - It MUST be within reach, fixed in its holder so you can get to it if ever needed.

It'll also include a safety seatbelt cutter, in case your belt or a passengers is jammed....

Not just useful for you - You never know when someone else might need your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

More interference by the nanny state, If I ended up upside down in the ditch, I would just lie there mentally adjusting the braking point on that awesome bend. Whats that smell ? :D

Thoie wrote: »

I suppose you could try and brace your self and kick out the back window.
    And carry a fire extinguisher, if it doesn't put out the fire, you could always break the window with it.

Or better still, don't crash. But sometimes it just happens.
    I drove for 17 years without a scratch and then one morning I ended upside down in a drain in the dark. And remember if you end up upside down, brace yourself before you release the seatbelt clip !:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

It's one of the reasons in the NCT manual here. Always worth having a quick glance at that before putting a car in for the test to spot the simple things.
    REASONS FOR FAILURE:
    (1) Windscreen missing
    (2) Windscreen not marked as safety glass.
    (3) In vehicle registered on or after 1/1/86 windscreen is not
    marked as shown in schedule 1 or to an equivalent standard.
    (4) Objects or stickers in drivers direct line of vision.
    (5) Damaged beyond acceptable limits. See page 18.
    (6) Not marked as safety glass (if first registered after 1 July 1964).
    (7) Insecure.
    (8) Opening mechanism of drivers window not operating.
    (9) Made of material likely, if fractured, to produce fragments
    or capable of causing severe cuts.
    (10) Side or rear windows damaged such that the drivers view is
    restricted.
    OP, I'd imagine it's easily (and cheaply) fixed. It is a free visual retest anyway.
    I think it's one of the more sensible NCT requirements. Anyway, do you not find the broken window annoying?

If that's the only thing that failed, I'd be happy enough.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

OP common sense should have told you this would be a failure.

And also you're lucky you deleted that post otherwise you'd have had a nice week long break from the motors forum

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Get yourself a Lifesaver hammer in your local motorfactors.

Fit it properly with a could of self tapping screws, along the right hand side of the centre console or somewhere else you know you can reach it.

No point in putting it in a pocket/glovebox etc - It MUST be within reach, fixed in its holder so you can get to it if ever needed.

It'll also include a safety seatbelt cutter, in case your belt or a passengers is jammed....

Not just useful for you - You never know when someone else might need your help.

Excellent idea.

The idea of not being able to open the seatbelt didn't occur to me.
    You've just given me something new to worry about now while I'm driving along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

OP, I'd imagine it's easily (and cheaply) fixed. It is a free visual retest anyway.
    I think it's one of the more sensible NCT requirements. Anyway, do you not find the broken window annoying?

If that's the only thing that failed, I'd be happy enough.[/quote]

thats what pissing me off the cheapest quote i could find so far is 250 lids

i dont have that at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

Onkle wrote: »
    OP common sense should have told you this would be a failure.

And also you're lucky you deleted that post otherwise you'd have had a nice week long break from the motors forum

and that was my other half messing when i went to the toilet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

mickdw wrote: »
    Drivers window is pretty important to be honest

Paying tolls, carpark entrances, Talking to gardai at checkpoint.
    Also, its part of the driving test to know your hand signals. These involve sticking hand out the window so I guess the open window is in theory needed for this also. Interesting, even Obamas car has an opening drivers window. They must have deemed it important as its the only window that opens on the most secure car .. .. .. in the world

I think u are talking about LHD here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If you or a friend can use a screwdriver then it's an easy fix. You'll get the part in a breakers reasonably cheap I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

pcardin wrote: »
    I think u are talking about LHD here. :D

What are ya on about? LHD?

Advertisement