Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slingbox Queries

Options
  • 21-08-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Not sure where this should go, mods please move if you feel it would be better somewhere else.

So am heading off on hols the day before the All-Ireland Final and want to be able to watch it online. Had thought of heading to an internet cafe and trying a proxy server to watch it on Rte.ie, but this evening was reminded of the Slingbox and thought I'd look into it.

So, looks good in theory, reviews here on Boards and elsewhere seem pretty good, so looks like it might be a runner. My questions:
    • I have UPC 3MB broadband. I just ran a test and got 246kbps upload speed. Will this be an issue? Seems 512kbps is the recommended minimum.
    • I also have a PSP. I also read about the Sony LF-B20, which has wireless capability and PSP connectivity. Seems a bit more complex to set up and also has software licence issues ($30 per install). Anyone using one of these?
    • I'm heading to the US in a few weeks so would like to buy either the Slingbox or the Sony over there-this should be ok right? No voltage or any other issues?
    • Anything else I should consider?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

246k is youtube quality.

You do want 512K, ideally 1Mbs for VHS quality (still half live quality).

Never buy anything to do with video or TV for Europe in USA. We use 576 lines, PAL, 25i FPS, but they use 480 lines, NTSC, 30i FPS.

Also US Wallwart or other PSUs tend not to be multivoltage like here. An integral 2 blade USA "plug" is for 110V and unsafe on an adaptor to 220V, even it the PSU can take 220V.

A PC with a TV card (Analogue from Aerial may be better than UPC) can do exactly what the slingbox does, so you can test before you buy and evaluate from a friend's house.

Avoid streaming DTT, as it is only tests till next year and thus could be off on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

watty wrote: »

A PC with a TV card (Analogue from Aerial may be better than UPC) can do exactly what the slingbox does, so you can test before you buy and evaluate from a friend's house.

This won't work abroad though, right? It's for holidays etc that I want to be able to watch Irish TV.

Re. the voltage, I guess it depends, right? I have a Creative MP3 player that I bought in the US, and the charger works just fine over here using a standard adaptor. What do I need to check on a US Slingbox to see if it will blow up if I plug it in over here?

On the NTSC/PAL issue, I see here that they say 'input support available for up to 1080i' - does this make a difference?

Slingbox Wikipedia Page refers to North American and European versions, but these seem to be distinct from the Slingbox Pro, which is what I would be looking at buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    This won't work abroad though, right? It's for holidays etc that I want to be able to watch Irish TV.

I assume Watty means you leave the PC (with the TV card installed) at home & use a remote PC (or similar) to (possibly over a VPN) access the PC & watch live TV.

This is actually quite a good idea, you just need a PC + TV card + VLC to stream live TV anywhere. Channel changing is the big problem, but if you leave it set on the channel before you go, it should be OK.

If you have a suitable PC, a TV card is only a few €€ in Dabs or Maplin & is far more flexible than a slingbox & with suitable SW, you can use it to pause/record live TV.

gerryo wrote: »
    I assume Watty means you leave the PC (with the TV card installed) at home & use a remote PC (or similar) to (possibly over a VPN) access the PC & watch live TV.

This is actually quite a good idea, you just need a PC + TV card + VLC to stream live TV anywhere. Channel changing is the big problem, but if you leave it set on the channel before you go, it should be OK.

If you have a suitable PC, a TV card is only a few €€ in Dabs or Maplin & is far more flexible than a slingbox & with suitable SW, you can use it to pause/record live TV.

That makes sense, but doesn't really sound very flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you can change channel with suitable SW

I streamed choice of C4 (via Composite from Sky box), RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 from aerial.

But I was suggesting you use PC/Laptop with TV card to test your upload before buying a slingbox, as the requirements are identical.

You can however do it entirely including remote with PC. THe Philips/Creative/Sony/Slingbox solutions are just a little simpler to set up and don't need a PC.

YOu can even plug a cheap IR Transmitt adaptor in to PC USB or Serial (or USB to Serial adaptor) and remote control a setbox with it's own remote from abroard with a laptop and IR Receive adaptor.

Like a video Sender over the Internet.

Slingbox is just one solution. The problem is having a fast enough upload and knowing the IP address of your home connection (Static IP or dynamic DNS client).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Slingbox is a great all-in-one-box solution. It works very well and gives a great experience if you have a large enough upstream on the broadband connection you'll be sending the video signal from.

I've got a slingbox. It's passable at 512kbit upload with slow-moving pictures like a drama or documentary in that you know what's going on, but expect a small bit of pixelation on scene changes and the like. You need at least 1mbit upstream imo to even contemplate watching sports over it. I'm on UPC 20/1.5mbit and it works very well, but there's still some pixelation at times on very fast moving images.

I wouldn't attempt to use it at all on a 256kbit upstream. I wouldn't attempt to watch sport on 512kbit, as in my opinion it will just be frustrating - you'd have a better idea of what's going on by streaming a radio stream from RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Finding an Irish bar would be a better solution?

Ok, sounds like the upload speed of my home connection is going to be the deciding factor here and as I am on UPC 3MB/256kbps (and don't intend forking out for the extra speed on a monthly basis just to give me ability to use abroad), and would only really want to be able to watch sports (which sounds like it could be less than ideal on this connection), I think I'll give it a miss.

I presume that 512kbps would be the minimum for any remote solution (such as video cards) mentioned above?
    watty wrote:
    You can even plug a cheap IR Transmitt adaptor in to PC USB or Serial (or USB to Serial adaptor) and remote control a setbox with it's own remote from abroard with a laptop and IR Receive adaptor.

I assume that this would be in conjunction with a TV card?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    That makes sense, but doesn't really sound very flexible.
    Definitely more complicated to setup than a Slingbox, but not limited to any manufacturer or OS/SW. Same PC can be used as a media centre when at home + can be home security + VPN server + games server, etc.

Pc's are always more flexible than a "one trick pony" like Slingbox.

However, if you want reliability & a slightly easier user experience, Slingbox is probably the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Anyone recommend a location to purchase a Slingbox? Need it to broadcast my Sky+ player. Is it a one size fits all or are there different models for different regions etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dartsfan wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a location to purchase a Slingbox? Need it to broadcast my Sky+ player. Is it a one size fits all or are there different models for different regions etc?

Basic one here: http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Slingbox_PC_Home_TV_Controller_SB150-110/version.asp

Higher spec ones: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sling-Media-Slingbox%1A-Pro-HD-Digital-Media-Receiver_W0QQitemZ270448910389QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090829?IMSfp=TL090829175001r400

http://www.expansys.ie/d.aspx?i=182948

Advertisement