Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

john deere 6910

• 21-08-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    i am18 and lookig about buying first tractor for starting some contracting and work on our farm i have looked trhough various options online and have finialy decided on jd6910 what info have ye on the jd 6910 there soposed to be better than the newer 6020 series also how do i go about finiance how doet that work ...what is best ?

bk1991

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

so... what gearbox you going for autopower Ha Ha.Getting tls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

cormywormy wrote: »
    so... what gearbox you going for autopower Ha Ha.Getting tls.

thats what i wana find out the pros and cons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

all i know about jd is any of the contractors around here wouldn't take one for free.

Valmet/Valtra & McCormick are the most popular choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

snowman707 wrote: »
    all i know about jd is any of the contractors around here wouldn't take one for free.

Valmet/Valtra & McCormick are the most popular choices.

while i believe valtra are every bit as good as john deere , the mc cormack are a cheap and very basic tractor which couldnt be mentioned in the same breath as a JD

OP, the 6910 is a solid machine but i wouldnt say its any better than the newer 6920 , btw , a 6620 is still 125 hp , both the 6910 and the 6920 are 140 hp plus , do you need a tractor that powerfull

irish_bob wrote: »
    while i believe valtra are every bit as good as john deere , the mc cormack are a cheap and very basic tractor which couldnt be mentioned in the same breath as a JD

OP, the 6910 is a solid machine but i wouldnt say its any better than the newer 6920 , btw , a 6620 is still 125 hp , both the 6910 and the 6920 are 140 hp plus , do you need a tractor that powerfull

well if possable i would like to have over 140+ never know what il be doing next plan on keeping what ever i buy for a while .in future might need work forage harvester so power would be handy .roughly whatsort of money would i be looken at with a fairly high spec 6910 in what year they were bult from 97 to 02 i think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

brillant tractor in my view drove one for a contractor last year!! flat out every day (16 hours) and was rock solid!! had 11000 thousand hours on it! there quite hard on juice which is a point to consider! by the way McCormick wouldnt come close to one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

brillant tractor in my view drove one for a contractor last year!! flat out every day (16 hours) and was rock solid!! had 11000 thousand hours on it! there quite hard on juice which is a point to consider! by the way McCormick wouldnt come close to one.

i also worked with one a day drawing silage as the tractor i normally drew with got a puncture. i thought it was very heavy on diesel. it used 2/3 of the tank and it was ideling for a lot of the day.

my choice would be a massey 6290 or else a fiat f140.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

You will pay at least over 22000 for a any way decent speced and good cond 6910. They hold there value very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

JD 6910 stands out in the tractor market as one of the all time ledgendary tractors, it sold extremely well, were very reliable, very capable, simple to operate, maintain and repair, all of which means that on the second hand market a 6910 demands a premium price.

You'll always have people saying "oh this tractor's crap and such a one is way better" but numbers speek for themselves, they ARE good machines :p

best buy would be a late model, 6910 premium, auto quad, TLS, 50K, usually one with these options will have all the other jazz fitted too like HMS, better and more comfey seat etc...:rolleyes:

there was a 6910s that was produced for a short while, they weren't a success, stay away from an S model to be on the safe side, I personally haven't heard good things about them. 10s were initially better than the first of the 20s, but after the teething problems were sorted there was no beating the 6920, and even more so the 6920s, which incidentally was brilliant, used to have one before getting the 30.

Some of the higher spec models have a diaphram on the side of the injector pump connected with the turbo, to allow in more fuel in when under load, makes a big difference on power, but only when you actually require it. However these diaphrams can split, and effectively the turbo will pump the diesel tank like a compressor, with less than desireable results, trust me :mad: A fault you wont pick up on, if your not aware of it, till its too late

other than that, just usual pre buying checks, you know yourself.

On the con side of things, I do find it a tad thirsty, the fuel tank isn't massive, mine is 66 gallon tank, and no getting away from the fact that a 6020 or 6030 series cab is a much nicer place to spend a day comfort wise. They can be a bit big and akward for smaller jobs, especially with big tyres fitted.

They are still pricy enough though, and even the freshest of them are pushing on a bit now. Do your own research for prices, it varies a good bit depending on condition. Its harder to get finance on an older machine, and your just 18, so....................:confused:

JD 6910 stands out in the tractor market as one of the all time ledgendary tractors, it sold extremely well, were very reliable, very capable, simple to operate, maintain and repair, all of which means that on the second hand market a 6910 demands a premium price.

You'll always have people saying "oh this tractor's crap and such a one is way better" but numbers speek for themselves, they ARE good machines :p

best buy would be a late model, 6910 premium, auto quad, TLS, 50K, usually one with these options will have all the other jazz fitted too like HMS, better and more comfey seat etc...:rolleyes:

there was a 6910s that was produced for a short while, they weren't a success, stay away from an S model to be on the safe side, I personally haven't heard good things about them. 10s were initially better than the first of the 20s, but after the teething problems were sorted there was no beating the 6920, and even more so the 6920s, which incidentally was brilliant, used to have one before getting the 30.

Some of the higher spec models have a diaphram on the side of the injector pump connected with the turbo, to allow in more fuel in when under load, makes a big difference on power, but only when you actually require it. However these diaphrams can split, and effectively the turbo will pump the diesel tank like a compressor, with less than desireable results, trust me :mad: A fault you wont pick up on, if your not aware of it, till its too late

other than that, just usual pre buying checks, you know yourself.

On the con side of things, I do find it a tad thirsty, the fuel tank isn't massive, mine is 66 gallon tank, and no getting away from the fact that a 6020 or 6030 series cab is a much nicer place to spend a day comfort wise. They can be a bit big and akward for smaller jobs, especially with big tyres fitted.

They are still pricy enough though, and even the freshest of them are pushing on a bit now. Do your own research for prices, it varies a good bit depending on condition. Its harder to get finance on an older machine, and your just 18, so....................:confused:

cheers how would u advise on getting finiance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

bk1991 wrote: »
    cheers how would u advise on getting finiance

talk to your bank manager or accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Has anyone driven the deutz agrotron
    I like the look of them but dont know anything about them thanks

djmc wrote: »
    Has anyone driven the deutz agrotron
    I like the look of them but dont know anything about them thanks

serviced and done work on them last year a good bit
    from the agrifarm to the agrotron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

i have a 6910 and a 6900, and for your first tractor my opinion is buy a 6900, you will save about 10grand and get the same rates, and it will be a good start for you to earn money,

i also have a fiat 90/90 dt freat tractor for wrapping, 6110, lovely tractor on soft ground and all roundert,

i have a 6400, for baleing, and the 6910 and 6900 normally do all the donkey work, but they are very clean and im pickey about drivers, i recently bought a 7810 in england,

so i would advise you to go to www.mascus.com and look at the tractors there and you should find a decent clean johndeere there at right money, with goodtyres,and low hours off a farm in england,

i was in youir position 10 years ago and now i have a fleet of gear, diggers, the agri stuff and a quarry, and all the headaches that go with it , my advice would be dont get too big, but i would not advise you to not go out on your own, just as long as you can handle it, there is money to be made if you are able to be shrude and sharp enough to collect it,

and another tip for you, dont go buying a brand new tractor, or even a ten year old one ,because someone will get jealous and spread the word that your a millionaire, with big fancy new gear, and they will begrudge you the work, i know it has happened to me for long enough until i got established.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ruxpin82

id also say the 6910 was one of the best tractors ever made. we have a '01 6910 with about 6700 hours, it was one that came off the bogs with about 300 hours on it.
    in the time we have had it, literally all that had to be done was the brakes at 3000hrs,
    left hand reverser replaced at 500hrs,
    pan-hard rod in front suspension at 5000hrs,
    oil every 250hrs,
    and............thats it.
    brilliant machine, still holds its value though, better off looking for one in england, east anglia or cambridge. power quad and autoquad are the safest bets gearbox wise , stay clear of the autopower.
    40k would be less troublesome than 50k, or youll find youll be doing the brakes frequently about 3000euros i think.
    happy hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

irish_bob wrote: »

Sorry for digging up an old Thread but is this the only difference between these two John Deeres?
    Are they the same size tractor,just different HP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 steve30

John deere 6910 is very good tractor but very hard now to get them with low hours even if your buying the last of them which finished in 2002 which also has nice spec, there is big demand for them and that's what's keeping prices high, but of luck with finding one

Advertisement