Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable guitar recording device?

Options
  • 22-08-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a small device that i can carry around to record ideas i come up with on my electric guitar. Nothing too fancy just easy and quick to use.
    Something i can plug into or with an internal mic maybe.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 marsvolta

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1901

used this in studio, pretty good sound and very easy to use. check it out!
    xmusic have it for eur289 but could probably get from uk for eur250. good investment especially if working on originals

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 D0nners

I use the wee Zoom 8 track recorder myself.
    Does the job and has an internal mic (which isn't the greatest quality).
    Apart from the mic, its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Some good suggestions there lads.
    I like the look of the line6 backtrack, its pretty much what i was thinking of.

Does anyone have it ? Im a little confused, does it record everything you play or only when you press the mark button?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I was looking into the Backtrack earlier in the year, memory is a bit hazy but as far as I recall it records everything you play but the stuff you Mark is put in a seperate folder. When space runs out in the unmarked folder the oldest recording gets overwritten. Marked stuff is protected.

Apart from recording, one useful feature is that for a soundcheck you can slot the backtrack into your chain, record a quick clip and then have it play the clip on a loop while you sort out your knobs and dials and sliders.
    If I recall correctly you can't remove/replace the battery or the memory if they go, which put me off.

In the end I went with the Zoom H2 - costs about €180 euros (bought it in KnB Music, Maynooth), looks more like a mic and less like an alien probe than the H4, the hook is the 360 degree recording. It was a gift, but I've not had any complaints about it (probably because my dad hasn't taken it out of it's bloody box, the ingrate!) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭kfoltman

D0nners wrote: »
    I use the wee Zoom 8 track recorder myself.
    +1

I have a Zoom MRS-8, a small, self-contained multitrack recorder using Secure Data flash cards as storage medium. Bought it second-hand for 170 euro, and it turned out to be a very useful piece of kit.

In some aspects it's better than a full-blown DAW. Sure, the sound quality is theoretically lower, but for recording ideas or even rough demos it's perfect.

Advertisement