Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BPL (Broadband over Power Lines) Ireland

Options
  • 22-08-2009 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hello all,

I was wondering about broadband over power lines for faster internet speeds for those who cannot get broadband (i.e....in the country) and for thoes who can only get very little of it (i.e...1mb a.k.a crap speed:o).
    So the reason why i started up this forum was because i was wondering could anyone tell me, what is happening in Ireland with BPL as i know in America its all over the states but here i dont know what the story is, part from hearing some rumors about the esb giving BPL. So could someone please tell me is BPL in Ireland and if so when will it be throughout the whole country?:D
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nothing is happening here, and it probably won't for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

daryljames wrote: »
    in America its all over the states

Not even close, there is some companies starting to offer it there as far as I know but it is still insanely limited. It is still in effect in the trial stage. Broadband over power lines isn't going to solve Irelands internet problems anytime soon and most would say it is never going to be a serious contender.
    Power lines were never designed to take broadband signals and there is a lot of things on power lines between the signal and you that will effect it.

I will let someone more in the know explain the full details :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's an over 10 year old technology. The speed sounds good till you realise that is shared for EVERY house on a Substation (transformer) and that's for a short cable. In reality it will only do a little better than Dialup, or at best EDGE/3G speed. It's been obsoleted by superior EDGE2 and HSPA Mobile.

It may be implemented for smart Meters on Water, Gas and Electricity. These only need occasional bursts of 300bps traffic.

Higher speed BPL creates a huge amount of radio interference and is easily knocked out by a "noisey" insulator/connection or by Mobile Radio.

No-one anywhere is successfully using BPL to supply real broadband, despite 10 years of trials and it's likely it never will except for Smart Meters.

Our own ESB did a trial.

Mobile Phone system Modems work better. That's saying a lot :)

Advertisement