Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How does putting for example my mother on my insurance work?

• 22-08-2009 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Right last year I had a bad crash, well my car was a write but hardly any damage to the other guys car. But as normal he puts in a claim for whiplash total cost was 10k.

So I got myself a Fiesta just to get around rand Quinn they wanted 4,000 :eek: of me, got a quote off AXA for 2,250. I know I was stupid, but I'm 23 not some 17 trying to get insurance for the first time, I'm only after renewing for my learners permit.

Any advice on going about getting my insurance a bit cheaper?? I was thinknig putting my Ma down as named driver but sure how that works...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

How could your car be a write off and the other guys car's have hardly any damage? Was his car Batmans?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

How could your car be a write off and the other guys car's have hardly any damage? Was his car Batmans?

The Batmobile strikes again :D

Small old cheap car going into the back of a big tough newer thingie. Latter gets off with a scratch or two on the rear bumper while the little car's front folds in and destroys the rad and front engine for starters... on a car valued at €1.50 or so it costs more to repair than replace, thus write-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Well, given that you're on a learners permit and have already written off your own car and caused a personal injury to another road user, costing your insurer 10 large, I'd reckon you're doing fairly okay with that quote to be honest....

Insurer's aren't stupid, and they won't decrease your premium if you add your mother/father etc. It probably won't cost you anything to add them if you really want to, but they're not going to consider you a reduced risk.

I'd suggest the best thing to do is to keep ringing around, try some brokers instead of going direct to the big insurers directly, but ultimately you're going to pay through the nose compared with a similar Jane Doe who has a clean driving record.

And a word of caution - Don't try to cover up the fact you had an accident, as if you have another, your insurer at the time will either refuse to pay, or come after you for every cent the subsequent accident costs. You'll also leave yourself open to prosecution etc.

Honestly, I know it seems like a lot, but it's not all that bad. Ask any of your male friends who are driving for a similar amount of time as yourself and you'll probably find your insurance post accident probably isn't too far off what they'd be paying with an accident free history.

Incidentally, I've found Axa to be by far the cheapest quote just last week for my own insurance renewal. They're a good 20% below the next best, with Quinn right at the bottom of the list, despite the fact I've been with them 4 years with a full NCB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

As Gil_Dub said, adding a parent as a named driver won't decrease your premium, but probably won't cost anything extra either. I had a non-car related accident a few years back while somewhere awkward, leaving my car a bit stranded. Added my mother to my insurance for the remaining few months of the policy (so that she could get the car to somewhere more convenient) - cost was about €30 admin fee for adding her. When I went to reinsure next time around I asked out of curiosity how much it would be to add her for the year, and the additional cost was 0, but it didn't reduce my policy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

Does the OP mean getting his mother to insure the car and adding him as a named driver to her policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

dingding wrote: »
    Does the OP mean getting his mother to insure the car and adding him as a named driver to her policy?

Nope:
    I was thinknig putting my Ma down as named driver but sure how that works...

She was hoping that putting her Ma down as a named driver on her own policy would reduce it a bit, but as others have pointed out, it won't.

It won't make a bit of difference putting anyone else down.

When they are insuring the car the price it for the risk of the policy holder, they then add on any additional costs associated with other users.

Having a main policy holder that is a lower risk should reduce the cost which is why I posed my question.

Solitaire wrote: »
    The Batmobile strikes again :D

Small old cheap car going into the back of a big tough newer thingie. Latter gets off with a scratch or two on the rear bumper while the little car's front folds in and destroys the rad and front engine for starters... on a car valued at €1.50 or so it costs more to repair than replace, thus write-off.

I was on the recieving end of one of these once. Did not claim for the accident.

The engine sound was louder than where it hit my bumper.

Could not believe all the damage that was caused to the other car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

phutyle wrote: »
    Nope:

She was hoping that putting her Ma down as a named driver on her own policy would reduce it a bit, but as others have pointed out, it won't.

It did for me. was expecting to have to pay more but I got a refund of 50 quid instead. thats with hibernian, and it was only 400 to start with.

I also wrote off a seat toledo once while only doing 1500 quid of damage to the vectra I hit.

Advertisement