Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2010

Options
  • 22-08-2009 4:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey, so I know the panic from last year is just over but I'm heading into 6th year and it's just beginning!

It's nagging at the back of my head and I'm just wondering has anyone any advice/ predictions on what might come up on some of this years papers?

I know you can't really speculate, but please do!

I was heartbroken when I saw the 2009 Irish hl paper - it was literally everything I had learned in this year (5th). Basically I'm s*****g it:(

Please help!

Oh and also, I take history the only problem being is that our teacher has told us absolutely nothing about the topic/project? And, going on what other years have said we won't be doing it untill Christmas! Which I think is absolutely ridiculous?Can anyone give me advice on the history topic or atleast tell me what the blooming thing is!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

A lot of the stuff can repeat itself!
    I saw the Irish papers and a lot of the stuff I did in 2008 came up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭carefulnow99

hi mary

ok firstly i understand this aint what u want to hear and i know it sounds stupid but at least wait until the year starts before u start worryin about the leavin!!!!
    i just done mine der this year and i really do belive that a little study alot gets you what you want but it wont be worthanything to you if you simply get nervous on the day.

so if i could give any advice to you its that you should remain as calmas you can and remember that everyone is on your side!!! oh and enjoy the rest of the summer dude!!! its nearly finished! chill and kick back with a few drinks and have a laugh with your mates!!!!

thats all my advice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Mary007 wrote: »

Oh and also, I take history the only problem being is that our teacher has told us absolutely nothing about the topic/project? And, going on what other years have said we won't be doing it untill Christmas! Which I think is absolutely ridiculous?Can anyone give me advice on the history topic or atleast tell me what the blooming thing is!?

Really? We've finished our R.S.R.s already. Anyway, the RSR is a project you do on any Historical event/person or place of your choice. I did the Hillsborough Disaster and other people did things and people like Chanel and the Battle of Berlin.

I think whatever topic you choose it must have happened before 1993, so If you choose a person make sure the most exciting things in their life, or all of it, happened before 1993. :p

You must write about 1300 words which, once you get into the project, is realy easy.

So overall I don't think it's too bad and don't worry about it. I just think it is a bad idea on your teachers part to leave it until Christmas of the LC. As if you won't have enough on your plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I'd be very careful from now on with predictions, the exams commission tore up the rule book this as regards most things

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

why? our class didnt do ours until April, in fact after the official deadlne, and i got an A1, as did 9 others in the class. as long as you have a fairly original topic and are able to writte well on it, you're fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

as long as you have a fairly original topic and are able to writte well on it, you're fine

I know but it's just the fact it's very unlikely we will get any sort of help. In total we did 3 essays last year, handed them in at halloween got them back in June. Basically just feeling a bit conpoosed!!
    Thinking along the lines of the siege of jadotville but I don't know yet..Can I even start looking at stuff like that before he helps us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Craguls wrote: »
    I'd be very careful from now on with predictions, the exams commission tore up the rule book this as regards most things

will this be the first year there will be no rules as such?

cause i done a lot of predicting for this years leaving and it went quite well!

god that will suck if they eliminate prediction opportunities:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

will this be the first year there will be no rules as such?

cause i done a lot of predicting for this years leaving and it went quite well!

god that will suck if they eliminate prediction opportunities:p

Well by all accounts it was a strange year to do the leaving cert.

They asked those questions on style in English paper one

They asked stranger questions in maths that revolved around understanding the concepts alot more (very good in my opinion)

Biology had those weird note questions, likewise Geography questions became more restrictive.

Irish had the same stair question and some of the same poems.

French and Chemistry were deceptively easy but marked hard.

As a results points in the grind schools took a little hit they were small changes but you'd be ok if you'd worked all along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I'm heading into 6th year as well, absolutely bricking it at this moment in time. Apparently we have nothing to worry about:p It's all a lot easier than it sounds and blah blah blah. But what happens when May rolls around and we haven't a tap of work done, huh? Who are we gonna blame but the previous year for telling us that it's easier than it sounds! Oh sweet f**k, I really should get off boards sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

*giggles* wrote: »
    But what happens when May rolls around and we haven't a tap of work done, huh? Who are we gonna blame ...
    Yourself! :p

LC isn't as bad as it's made out to be IF you put in a decent bit of work as you go through the year.

Running yourself into the ground won't help, and balance is important, but if you twiddle your ... thumbs ... all year, you have no-one to blame but yourself!

• Advertisement

Ah come on now, I'm not blaming everyone but myself. I know it's all like "failing to prepare is preparing to fail" and all, but somethings, like music for instance is supposed to be one of the easiest honours subject you can take. I understand work is involved, but the loadie who turns out to get an A1 in honours something or other without a smidgen of work out of them all year is just teasing us, tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

maidhc dainin o se!

I'm actually really liking that story at the moment. Our teacher just reads it to us and then translates it, everyday for 40 minutes. Life is sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

*giggles* wrote: »
    I understand work is involved, but the loadie who turns out to get an A1 in honours something or other without a smidgen of work out of them all year is just teasing us, tbf.
    They're few and far between ... and curiously enough, there always tends to be more of them around after the LC ends but before the results come out! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I did my entire history project over a weekend so relax:rolleyes: Greatest peice of advice I could give you on the project, go buy short cuts to success. It has aorund 30 pages dedicated to the project, couldn't recommend it highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Hi guys, didn't wanna start a new thread, just wondered if anyone could tell me if any of the following courses have changed since 2008:

Geograpy
    Biology
    German (apart from Role plays and picture sequences)
    Irish

All Higher level, i'm repeating in 2010 and just wondering if these courses are still the same as when I first sat the LC, cheers

Hi guys, didn't wanna start a new thread, just wondered if anyone could tell me if any of the following courses have changed since 2008:

Geograpy
    Biology
    Irish

All Higher level, i'm repeating in 2010 and just wondering if these courses are still the same as when I first sat the LC, cheers

Nope, I'm pretty sure the Irish course is the same as it was in 2008. I think with biology has just been updated more or less the same - you know the way they bring out a revised edition book like every year. Haven't heard about Geography but I don't know what you would do in regards to a field study??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 irishgirl09

So the examinable material for HL Irish would be the same from 2009's exam? :confused:

Thanks Mary, if Biology's just an updated version of the course that's fine, when I started the leaving cycle it had been completely revamped from previous years, just making sure it hadn't happened again:p

I thought Irish stayed pretty much the same every year, although i'd imagine Cathal Ó Searcaigh has been taken off the course since I studied it;)

That just leaves Geograohy so, thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The biggest definite is Yeats is coming up in English because 2010 is some anniversary relating to Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Geograpy
    Biology
    Irish

Yeah but its the last year of the Irish syballus

Thanks unknown, I only plan on doing the Leaving Cert once more thanks:P

Does anyone have any idea where to get notes on Adrienne Richs poetry? There are none in my book and I can't find anywhere to buy them!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

'Do a little a lot of the time' is the advice from that lad who got the 9A1s and he's dead right. Don't go into mad frenzies before exams or get stressed all of a sudden and stay up all night studying. Just keep plugging away from the start is my advice. It will save you a lot of stress you don't need and help you enjoy the eyar a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

unknown13 wrote: »
    The biggest definite is Yeats is coming up in English because 2010 is some anniversary relating to Yeats

hmm, maybe...:confused:

I think its a disgrace that were expected to guess that **** though!

I mean the ability to get lucky and spend time studying the right poet before the exams doesnt mean you are smarter than the poor feckers who chose the wrong fella?

And you shouldnt get more points for it:(

Im dreading the english exam, especially the creative part of course youre going to get a mental block when its the moment of truth after 6 years and your looking at a ticking ****ing clock!:mad:

Roll on 2010:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

BTW - Listen to the guys on the 2FM Leaving Cert program.
    They are brilliant at predicting stuff.

I've done the LC twice, and listened both years. The guy who gives the English predictions has been spot on.
    He guessed correctly ALL 5 poets on the intended English Paper this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 has18

blue-army wrote: »
    BTW - Listen to the guys on the 2FM Leaving Cert program.
    They are brilliant at predicting stuff.

I've done the LC twice, and listened both years. The guy who gives the English predictions has been spot on.
    He guessed correctly ALL 5 poets on the intended English Paper this year!

hey i was wondering wat time does the 2fm leaving cert program start at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

has18 wrote: »
    hey i was wondering wat time does the 2fm leaving cert program start at
    June 2010. :)

The program was 7pm-8pm last year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 has18

oh ok cool wat month does it be on most of the time like in janurary or sumthing or everyday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 doug.irl.92

I thought Irish stayed pretty much the same every year, although i'd imagine Cathal Ó Searcaigh has been taken off the course since I studied it;)

Nope! He's still on unfortunately:(:(

Advertisement