Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview with Dr. Micheal O'Siochru about the 1641 Rebellion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Interview with Dr. Micheal O'Siochru of Trinity College Dublin. Dr. O'Siochru is a lecturer in Early Modern Irish history.In the interview, Dr. O'Siochru talks about the causes of the 1641 rebellion in Ireland.

Thanks for this great interview - interesting to hear how O'Siochru steps back from the recent [1980s on] revisionist take on 1641 that it had little or nothing to do with the Plantation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

One of the best early modernists there is. Trinity and UCD have a plethora of brilliant early-modern scholars such as Jane Ohlmeyer and Tadgh O Hanrachain (sic). I went to a lecture in UCD by some weirdo from Drogheda who wrote a book called Cromwell, an honourable enemy. Was not a great one tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

I went to a lecture in UCD by some weirdo from Drogheda who wrote a book called Cromwell, an honourable enemy. Was not a great one tbh.

I know the one you mean - Tom Reilly is the guy from Drogheda and his work has been widely discredited - I have read his book. I did some primary research on Cromwell some years ago and Reilly's work does not stand up to scrutiny. Unfortunately rubbish like that takes on a life of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

MarchDub wrote: »
    I know the one you mean - Tom Reilly is the guy from Drogheda and his work has been widely discredited - I have read his book. I did some primary research on Cromwell some years ago and Reilly's work does not stand up to scrutiny. Unfortunately rubbish like that takes on a life of its own.

I am not even an expert on the subject and I could see it was rubbish. He is a nice guy though, not a great book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-rte-tts-thetubridyshow-2008-09-03.smil

That's the link to a debate between Ciaran Brady and Reilly about Oliver Cromwell from the Tubridy show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Advertisement