Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware the Garmin Transatlantic GPS

Options
  • 22-08-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the x7x line of GPS' from Garmin and one big issue appeared that isn't very clearly documented. When you purchase one, chances are it is obsolete when you get it out of the box. The nuMap guarantee that ensures it has the latest maps on purchase can be used to replace either the American map or the EU map, but not both!.

As such, unless you're planning to spend €139 on the lifetime map guarantee (or don't mind having out-of-date maps), you're better off purchasing the x6x line, and adding a €52 map expansion to include North America.

Or am I missing something?

The quote from Garmin support:
    The nuMaps guarantee will only
    update either the European mapping or North American, it won't do both,
    as they are two different mapping products. As the terms and conditions
    state - "Limited to one free update per unit, nuvi 270, 370, 670 and 770

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bangorian

When purchasing the lifetime map updates ( €139 ),these will only update the maps which were pre-installed at the time of purchase.
    You cannot add additional maps yourself and update these on this offer !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

bangorian wrote: »
    When purchasing the lifetime map updates ( €139 ),these will only update the maps which were pre-installed at the time of purchase.
    You cannot add additional maps yourself and update these on this offer !!!

You can...from the nuMaps lifetime website (emphasis mine):
    The updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same map Data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased, or updates to map Data that you purchased separately (if applicable)

What they're saying is that you have to have purchased the maps at least once before purchasing the lifetime update contract.

Maybe I'm missing something, but below is a copy from the nuMaps page

Pay Once — Update for Life

Know where to go when streets change or new restaurants and other businesses open. With nüMaps Lifetime, you’ll get the most up-to-date maps available — for the life of your individual Garmin GPS. This one-time, single purchase gives you access to the newest map information on streets, highways and points of interest as soon as new content is available. Then, you can download the new data to your device, retrieving up to four updates per year, for the lifetime of one Garmin GPS. It’s the most comprehensive update plan you can buy.
    nüMaps Lifetime updates are available for the City Navigator® NT street maps on one compatible Garmin device. Click the Products tab to see whether this update is compatible with your device.
    How It Works

To use nüMaps Lifetime, all you need is your Garmin device, your computer and a USB cable. There are no monthly fees or continuing maintenance costs; you pay only once per Garmin GPS. When you want to update your maps, connect your device to your computer and log into your myGarmin account, where the latest map data is ready to load to your individual device. We’re constantly gathering new map data, and a new update is available up to four times per year. Sign up for our email notification, and we’ll email you when the newest data is available.
    This map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device. For example, a Garmin GPS device preloaded with North America maps only cannot be updated with a nüMaps Lifetime Europe Map Update, and vice versa. Check product compatibility.
    nüMaps Lifetime map updates may only be installed on one compatible unit. Please purchase additional quantities for additional units.
    Navigate with confidence with nüMaps Lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Yeah they seem to be a bit vague. If you go to the requirements tab, on the same page it says:
    This map update can only be used to update the preloaded maps that came installed on your Garmin device. For example, a Garmin GPS device preloaded with North America maps only cannot be updated with a nüMaps Lifetime Europe Map Update, and vice versa.

but it also says (further down):
    The updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same map Data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased, or updates to map Data that you purchased separately (if applicable). If your Garmin product does not include, or you do not purchase separately, the map Data you want to update using your nüMaps Lifetime subscription, then you must purchase the map Data separately before you can load the updated map Data onto your Garmin product

My guess is that their definition of 'preloaded' just means "loaded before you apply the update", rather than "loaded when you purchased the sat-nav, though I'd recommend getting clarification from Garmin over the matter.

Maybe i'll drop them an e-mail to clear this up, as i'm about to buy a Sat. Nav. Was loking at the Garmin 775T, anyone have any feedback on this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement