Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from the UK

Options
  • 22-08-2009 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am purchasing a shed from the UK and they have advised that included in my price is VAT of around 40 sterling. I thought VAT was not payable on items purchased from the UK is that not the case? I presume also that when the shed gets here VAT would be payable here how does this get charged?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Within the EU, you pay VAT in the country you buy in. Works out better in your case, since the UK VAT rate is lower than the Irish rate.

Smile and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Paulw wrote: »
    Within the EU, you pay VAT in the country you buy in.

Except when purchasing new motor vehicles, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

no you are thinking of VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) you would still pay the UK rate of VAT on the Car but when you bring it in here then you get hit with VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Tippex wrote: »
    no you are thinking of VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) you would still pay the UK rate of VAT on the Car but when you bring it in here then you get hit with VRT.

No, I'm thinking of VAT.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt1.html#section13

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

benifa wrote: »

Yep, isn't the Government clever at collecting money, though not so clever with what it does when it gets its greasy collective hands on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am purchasing a shed from the UK and they have advised that included in my price is VAT of around 40 sterling. I thought VAT was not payable on items purchased from the UK is that not the case? I presume also that when the shed gets here VAT would be payable here how does this get charged?
    You will pay the UK VAT, and you will not have to pay any VAT here on it. If it came from say the US you would pay their VAT, and also be liable for VAT here too, if above a certain value (€22 for non-gifts).

If a company does a certain amount of business with Ireland then they will charge Irish VAT. e.g. amazon, pixmania, play.com and others. But as said you are paying less with UK VAT.

But I am not sure what usually happens with amazon etc, does the Irish government get the VAT, I presume they do...

Advertisement