Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven cooking!

Options
  • 22-08-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

So yesterday I acquired an oven. I've been deprived of one for the past while due to space restrictions but now I have one.

Thing is, now that I have one, I don't know what to make! The first thing that has sprung to mind is.....a frozen pizza, but that's boring :)

Suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A roast?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I second a roast, with roast potatoes, tomorrow, but today you need to bake a cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Or biscuits yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Roast a chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

joolsveer wrote: »
    Roast a chicken.

+1! Start off nice & simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

Mmmm, roast chicken does sound good...so does cake.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

.......stuff that chicken with breadcrumbs, cubed streaky rashers, finely chopped mushrooms, salt n peppa.
    Make stock of the carcass tomorrow.

So, I made the following:

Starter
    Roasted mushrooms, stuffed with mozzarella

Main
    Roast chicken with potatoes and shallots (also roasted).

Both were superb, if I may say so myself. How did I ever live without an oven?!

A cake is next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I moved out of my mother's 5 years ago and have yet to cook a roast. I'm beginning to think I'm the only person in Ireland who has absolutely no interest in the whole roast & 3 veg thing. Once a year at Christmas is more than enough for me.

OP, it's probably still a bit warm out, but once the weather starts cooling, use your oven for lots of lovely, hearty casseroles and pies. Not to mention breads.

Also, if you fancy pizza, why not invest in a pizza stone and make your own from scratch? It's well worth the effort.

Honey-ec wrote: »

OP, it's probably still a bit warm out, but once the weather starts cooling, use your oven for lots of lovely, hearty casseroles and pies. Not to mention breads.

Also, if you fancy pizza, why not invest in a pizza stone and make your own from scratch? It's well worth the effort.

I was actually looking up pizza recipes yesterday, that's definitely going on my list :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Pasta bake!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You should have stuffed the chicken with cake and got the best of both worlds.:)

I can't imagine not having an oven!! How have you been cooking things?

You should have stuffed the chicken with cake and got the best of both worlds.:)

I can't imagine not having an oven!! How have you been cooking things?

Grill and hob :o

The oven has really opened up a whole new world of possibilities, I had great fun in the supermarket earlier, looking around and going 'ooh! I can buy that now!' etc. Yeah, I'm easily amused :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

mental07 wrote: »
    Grill and hob :o

The oven has really opened up a whole new world of possibilities, I had great fun in the supermarket earlier, looking around and going 'ooh! I can buy that now!' etc. Yeah, I'm easily amused :)

Of course, silly me. My grill is in my oven, and the hob is on top so I just assumed you were microwaving it :)

I had the same experience when I got a wok. Went mad in Tesco:D

Chicken fillets baked in the oven are so damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

mental07 wrote: »
    Chicken fillets baked in the oven are so damn good.
    Wrap them in bacon and grind some pepper over them and then your really cooking!!!

Wrap them in bacon and grind some pepper over them and then your really cooking!!!

Oh I did the pepper thing - great idea for the bacon though, will definitely be trying that!

Advertisement