Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxers

Options
  • 22-08-2009 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Boxer bitch. She's nearly one now, her owners were emigrating and couldn't take her.. They said that there was papers with her but they couldn't find them.. Is the only way to find out to get her scanned for the chip?

Theres no doubt shes a pure breed as I know boxers and spend a lot of time with them. I'd be interested in breeding her when she's big enough and all that but I'd rather do it with papers

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You could ring the IKC and give the names of the people you got her off and the chip number and see?
    Are the owners gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scubakid

Ya and I lost my phone last week so I've no contact numbers for them now.. I was keeping in contact with them all along so I'm trusting they are genuine!

Well I'd ring the IKC with their names/address and your pets microchip number and see if it's registered.

I take her to the vet to get the number ya?
    Will do thanks

scubakid wrote: »
    I take her to the vet to get the number ya?
    Will do thanks

Did they not give you number? that's odd but anyway yes you can get the vet to check her number

• Advertisement

No, All I got was a card with her vaccines on it..

Vet will help with the microchip number, theres a couple of microchipping companies, but she's probably on the main one. You can ring up the IKC with owner details and the microchip number and they should be able to tell you. And the vet will give her the once over and check health etc.

How much will a trip to d vet cost?
    I don't mind but I dont wanna be landed with something outragous you know

Just a check up? well I assume it'll be your first time there, so it might be slightly higher than subsequent visits, they'll set up a file for your dog etc. Depends on where you are really, I'm trying to think, but mine needed vaccinations when they went in first time so I was round the 80-100mark I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Brought my dog to the vet for the first time bout a month ago and it was 40 to see the vet and then extras for meds and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I'd be interested in breeding her when she's big enough and all that but I'd rather do it with papers
    Thanks in advance

I don't have anything to add regarding her papers, but please don't breed her :(

There's a huge dog overpopulation problem in Ireland, without more inexperienced breeders adding to it. There are plenty of good breeders who have showing experience and know their breed standard, who are breeding selectively from good examples of their breed to provide pedigree puppies to people; breeding your dog just because she's pedigree or you think she's pretty is a really awful idea :(

My own Boxer bitch is from a great line of Boxers, and her sire is currently an Irish Champion; to me she's gorgeous and I have her papers and everyone says she looks stunning compared to other Boxers but there's no way in hell I'd be doing amateur dabbling in breeding her.

If you do decide to breed her (please don't), at least make sure you get relevant health tests done first (heart scoring with a result of 1 or 0 for example) to make sure she won't pass anything congenital to her pups, and breed her to a suitable male (a show champion, also heart scored with a result 1 or 0). Don't just go find someone else who has a boxer male and chuck them together. Even better, before you decide to breed, try showing your bitch. If she doesn't do well in shows then she isn't a good example of the breed, and getting pups from her will just be contributing to overpopulation, meaning more puppies getting put to sleep in shelters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

It's not just her heart that needs scoring, her hips and elbows will also need to be tested, as will the potential sire's.

These tests do not come cheap, so I'm guessing that if the OP is worried about vets bills for day-to-day visits, then breeding should definitely not be on the agenda. Responsible breeding is not an inexpensive venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It's not just her heart that needs scoring, her hips and elbows will also need to be tested, as will the potential sire's.

Actually, hips and elbows tend not to be tested in Europe it seems.

I was looking for a breeder who did hip/elbow scores as well as heart scores, but after speaking to the vet of the Boxer Breed Council in UK, it seems that only heart testing is done regularly. Even then, in Ireland that's hard to get done as it tends to be in Belfast afaik.

But yes, if you do things correctly, it's responsible breeding but damned expensive, tiring and messy.

And if you don't do things correctly, its horribly irresponsible and still expensive, tiring and messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Ya and I lost my phone last week so I've no contact numbers for them now.. I was keeping in contact with them all along so I'm trusting they are genuine!
    Any Vet will have a scanner and will be able to scan her for a micro chip;)

Advertisement