Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jazzy - In the Well!

Options
  • 22-08-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Time to start hitting the forum regulars to see what makes them tick!

Jazzy - you're up (and you get to pick a victim candidate next week!)

1. Earliest memory of gaming?
    2. Longest time spent on a game?
    3. If you could stop time in terms of gaming gernerations, what would it be?
    4. Recommend 1 game to a person who has never played computer games (PC or console) that will instantly get them to understand what it's all about.
    5. What is the best gaming system in your opinion?
    6. What do you think of the introduction of 'achievements' / 'trophies'?
    7. Can you go back and play through old games without them (or would you buy them from the arcade store now just for the glowing feeling when you hear that sound)?
    8. What are your top 5 games at the moment (can be all-time or currently playing)?
    9. What system do you currently do most of your gaming on and why?
    10. What's the worst game you've ever played that you seen through to completion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Favourite gaming hero and villain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Favourite piece of music from a game? (Was supposed to ask this to Retr0 and L31mr0d as well)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

A choice of being the best in the country at UT or HoN?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why are you afraid of taking me on in Street Fighter?

Favourite videogame boss?
    Hardest videogame boss?
    Hardest game you've finished?
    Worst game you've gotten to the end of?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Whats your favourite pad? (Always, Bodyform etc?)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Asked by L31mr0d

1. Earliest memory of gaming?
    Getting killed by the first goomba in Super Mario Bros. on the Nes. my friends laughed at me saying "no one gets killed by the first goomba!"

2. Longest time spent on a game?
    Probably DotA at this stage. a lot of my friends play it and when you are playing with people you know you can play almost indefinately. same thing happened with UT2004. there was a good scene and people we all knew on servers every night.
    edit- in one sitting it would have to be my all in one playthrough of final fantasy 7. 36 hours in total at a friends free gaff. i did the same with crono trigger and secret of mana. im currently looking to do that again with another game. maybe try and do it for meningitis charity or something

3. If you could stop time in terms of gaming gernerations, what would it be?
    tricky this. Id be tempted to say right at the end of the 16 bit era as there was so many games i loved from then, but in reality it would have to be now. thats simply because of online play and the ability to hop on a ventrillo server and chat and play the same games as your friends. As good as a 4 player super bomberman is, it can't compete with the social aspect thats so a part of gaming today. in that regard id also be tempted to say christmas of 97 when my friend bought goldeneye, that game took up a good year of our lives :)

4. Recommend 1 game to a person who has never played computer games (PC or console) that will instantly get them to understand what it's all about.
    Megaman X or Megaman 2. bosses, guns, platforming, irritation, satisfaction, music, challenge... these games have all the basics down so well that it would be very easy to get into and understand. all those sidescrolling shooters from the 8 and 16 bit era really shaped how games are played mentally and are deeply embedded in the evolution of the industry.
    for a multiplayer game im going to have to go with Quake 3. easy to understand, fun and rewarding. again, this game (some would argue Quakeworld and they might be right but QW is too hard for noobies) has really shaped how online games are played. its a good entry level game for playing with friends

5. What is the best gaming system in your opinion?
    The PC by leaps and bounds. it does everything and can push the limits of gaming and skill far higher then anything else. look at starcraft in korea, you cant do that on a console.

6. What do you think of the introduction of 'achievements' / 'trophies'?
    I can see the attraction but I barely care for them. I much preferred getting secret levels and other easter eggs in older games. the achievements probably stretch out games far too much and I think they ultimately dont add much to the actual game itself. bosses like the Weapons in the final fantasy games add far more to the experience then gamer points ever would. I see peoples 'score' on xbox live tags and i think "why bother?". i think the gamer has to find the challenges, not be told what they are.

7. Can you go back and play through old games without them (or would you buy them from the arcade store now just for the glowing feeling when you hear that sound)?
    Easily. Ive got a hankering for Super Metroid right now and since I brought up Megaman back there I think I might just load them up!

8. What are your top 5 games at the moment (can be all-time or currently playing)?
    Ill go with 'currently' as Ill malfunction and blow up if asked for my definitive top 5.
    in no order:
    -Heroes of Newerth (DotA but with a lemon twist)
    -Quakelive
    -Street Fighter IV
    -Starcraft
    -UT2004

9. What system do you currently do most of your gaming on and why?
    PC. to play the same games as my friends and because you cant play HoN anywhere else. as the old saying goes, you dont make friends with salad! :pac:

10. What's the worst game you've ever played that you seen through to completion?
    Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2. dull combat, dull bosses, dull movement, dull atmosphere. I just played for the story and at the end of it none of it really added anything to the series. Quite annoyed at that.

Asked by Xyo

Favourite gaming hero and villain.
    Favorite hero has got to be Samus. Me and her have been through a lot over the years and she always pulls through in the end. possibly Guile too... you could eat your dinner off that hair! special mention for Zlatan Ibrahimovic in Pro Evo 6 too, old reliable :)

Favorite villian is tough. I could give the blanket "Sephiroth" answer but retr0gamer will eat my face if I said that. I really liked Andrew Ryan in Bioshock but i dont know if you can class him as a villain. the man built a city under the sea but still practices golf with a tea cup. Gman is spooky, bowser is heavy and mother brain is a b1tch. i hated her more for killing the giant metroid baby then i did when sephiroth you know what. I havent come across a really good bad guy in a game for a while, any recommendations?

Asked by Kiith

Favourite piece of music from a game?

very tough. ill pick one for now anyway

so epic. still gives me chills

Asked by Kinetic

A choice of being the best in the country at UT or HoN?
    UT without question. Id like me and my friends to be the best HoN team in the country, but as an individual id have to go with UT. the skill required to be that good at a deathmatch game is insane and the satisfaction you get from beating really good players is next to none. One of my favorite moments in games was the Quarter final match I had with Chosen at Gamecon. the match went into overtime and it was one of those real nail biters. it was on the big screen and there was a big crowd watching us from behind too. getting that kill after 3 minutes of overtime and knocking out the man who dumped me out of the previous tournament was amazing. we were sitting right beside each other too and were good friends so the match meant a lot. i havent really won anything with the team in HoN/DotA yet but I would imagine that winning with a team at a lan would be just as good.
    also if im the best at UT in the country it means Im better then Kronic and thats all that matters :)

Asked by Retr0gaymer

Why are you afraid of taking me on in Street Fighter?
    look above ^^ when the pressure is on retr0, you'll crumble. :D

Favourite videogame boss?
    I do love a good boss fight. Ill go out on a limb here and say the Spider Gaurdian from Metroid Prime 2 bottom of the page here. A really awesome boss fight and also quite unique.
    The Cyberdemon is still one of my all time favorites. the noise it makes when it walks is frightening.

Hardest videogame boss?
    Im tempted to say Penance from FFX but thats just a slog untill you are powered up enough to do it.
    oh, i know actually.
    Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts in the battle arena. The only boss I ever gave up on. hes just a cheap c*nt. ill go back and get him someday!

Hardest game you've finished?
    Kronic on ironic in UT2004 :/
    more really though, Im gonna go with Viewtiful Joe on the second highest difficulty (highest was too hard). it was tough, but satisfying. Kid Icarus on the Nes was also sh1t hard. I was a master of it as a kid and when i got it on the Wii I couldnt complete it for love nor money :(

Worst game you've gotten to the end of?
    as i said above, Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2

Asked by Winters
    Whats your favourite pad? (Always, Bodyform etc?)

Always with the wings ofc.

The Gravis X-Terminator is truly the king of gamepads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Whats your opinion on the looming trend of free online games with MicroTransactions to give players that are willing to pay advantages over those who can't? (BF Heros for example)

Are you still as good at Fight Night now they have taken out the cheap button mashing option?

Do you still have those American Flag Pants of Gaming Godness?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

1.) whats your favourite gaming developers?

2.) what are you looking forward to in the next 12 months in gaming?

3.) street fighter, soul caliber or mortal combat?

4.) why are you hiding from retrogamer? (its rumored he lost to a kid in street fighter) i think you will be safe lol :D

thanks and good luck!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As your obviously a pc man, what would you suggest to deal with the piracy problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

1.) (its rumored he lost to a kid in street fighter)

I am afraid thats no rumour!

Seeing as you played Kingdom Hearts (dunno if you played the 2nd one) I would like to ask you what made it work for you. I have to say that I was put off for years by the cartoony graphics and Disney aspects but just wondering what helped the whole thing work as a whole for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a lie. I was beaten by a 4 year old at Soul Calibur 2 and a girl at street fighter IV

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's a lie. I was beaten by a 4 year old at Soul Calibur 2 and a girl at street fighter IV

I apologise for not making the distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

sorry retro didnt know it was soul calibur 2!;)

Asked by Jonnybadd
    Whats your opinion on the looming trend of free online games with MicroTransactions to give players that are willing to pay advantages over those who can't? (BF Heros for example)
    Well, Im liking the idea of free online games atm. Quakelive is free as can be and its incredible. I havent dabbled in BF Heroes but any game that gives a player an advantage because they pay for it is a bit stupid. It is EA after all and anything they do doesnt surprise me. You could argue that all the expensive gear we buy for our systems also gives us an advantage. I mean, does everyone I play Quake against have a €120 Headset, a €50 Mouse, a €15 mousemat and a €150 sound card? probably not in the short of it. at the same time, the game is still the same and there is no difference I can make to the actual software that will give me an advantage which the other person cant do anyway.
    Any game that will be taken seriously and that will have leagues & cups won't be interested in this sort of system but then again, developers don't really care for them anyway. Microtransactions are just new ways of making money and I personally wouldnt be interested in any game that uses them to give players any sort of advantage.

If I was to be perfectly blunt, I believe these microtransactions are quite poisonous to games in general. I saw a conversation on IRC where people where paying €3 to change their xbox live avatar to a jedi or something. Its sorta like "would ya f**k off microsoft, we bought the console, the game, the pads, the cables, the subscription already... let us have a free avatar". Then there is "DLC" which you have to pay for too. Some would say they are expansion packs. I dunno, when I bought exapnsion packs they had far more to em then what you are getting now.
    I do like the idea of the virtual console and xbl arcade and being able to buy full games there. Thats it really though

Are you still as good at Fight Night now they have taken out the cheap button mashing option?
    I havent played much of Fight Night Round 4 but I know I like 3 a hell of a lot better. And I never mashed in Fight Night! I just didnt like using the stick to do all the punches. Call me traditional, but I like to press buttons when I play games.

Do you still have those American Flag Pants of Gaming Godness?
    Indeed I do, but they are currently in Wills gaff. They may be brought to a SFIV event some time though.

Asked by raycaulwell
    1.) whats your favourite gaming developers?
    Nintendo for all the good they did when I was young. Zelda, Mario World, Samsh Bros etc.
    Capcom for Megaman, Street Fighter and the ability to make some really kick ass bosses. They are quite a traditional developer for me and I always pay attention to what they are at.
    id Software for Quake & Doom. Quake 3 is such a masterful game and probably the peak of online First Person Shooters. There has yet to be an FPS game that is better then it multiplayer and it has been out for 10 years. That says something. I also like their style when they make games. A lot of tongue in cheek stuff and absolutely brilliant monsters / badguys. I mean the Mancubus from Doom 2... what an enemy.
    Rare were a big favorite for a long time. Killer Instinct, Starwing & Goldeneye were all amazing games. Pity they went to MS and did not very much at all after their golden years.
    and Icefrog & co. for making DotA of course.

2.) what are you looking forward to in the next 12 months in gaming?
    Rage looks really really good and so far up my street we might as well be neighbours. Im a massive id Software fan and Im a huge mad max fan so I really cant wait to get this.
    Starcraft 2 as well because, ya know... its the daddy.
    Bioshock 2 as Im curious to see if it will be as good as the first one. I hope it is as I really liked the setting, that said I have a bad feeling :/
    Alan Wake because at this stage its getting a bit silly
    Alien Versus Predator and Aliens: Colonial Marines because I f**kin love Aliens and the whole universe they are in.
    Heroes of Newerth because I need to feed the addiction
    Aside from that, anything that impresses me. I couldnt give 2 hoots about the new control systems we saw at E3. As I said Im a traditionalist, I like buttons.

3.) street fighter, soul caliber or mortal combat?
    Street Fighter just about pips Soul Calibur but Im only putting that down to how long me & guile have known each other. Soul Calibur 2 is still one of the best fighters ever and one of the few games I know of without flaws.
    Mortal Kombat has, and always will suck. Poor mans Killer Instinct

4.) why are you hiding from retrogamer? (its rumored he lost to a kid in street fighter) i think you will be safe lol
    Well now that its all clarified above I think it might be safe to come out and play. Question should be, why is retr0 hiding from me? I've been to a zillion LANS and events around the country and he hasnt showed once. cowardice I tells ya!

Asked by Kiith

As your obviously a pc man, what would you suggest to deal with the piracy problem?

Tough one this. Piracy is always going to exist and I think publishers have come around to that a long time ago. The first thing I can think of is to make games cheaper :) If people really like the game and its being sold at a fair price I dont believe they'd download it. Problem is they are so expensive and there is so many sh1t games out there that get rammed down our throat that people turn to piracy as it just becomes easier. I think the recording industry missed a trick by not reducing the prices of CD's earlier but alas, that is too nice a thing to give the general public so instead we have to pay €15 for a CD made by some clown who won a reality show or some sh1t. then there is iTunes but I firmly believe that Hitler is alive and well and is programming iTunes as we speak.
    At the end of the day, Price & Quality talk so if there wasnt so much sh1t games and being sold for a frankly ridiculous price then piracy wouldnt be as widespread. The things they are doing now to irritate gamers and pirates software wise will only ever get them so far and it seems more like an arms race then anything else. Make better games for cheaper and you won't see people talking nearly as much about piracy as they are now. (and yes it is possible to make good games without a staff of 200 and a hollywood voice over cast)

Asked by Noodler
    Seeing as you played Kingdom Hearts (dunno if you played the 2nd one) I would like to ask you what made it work for you. I have to say that I was put off for years by the cartoony graphics and Disney aspects but just wondering what helped the whole thing work as a whole for you.

Cartoony Schmartoomy. I never really cared if a game looked cartoony or not and graphics were never really that important to me. I saw it was made by Square and that it mixed Disney in with Final Fantasy so how could it not be good? It was challenging, it was different, it was daring, it had a hollywood cast voice over ;) and it seemed like a good yarn. Disney and Square wouldnt have put up a lot of their most valued ip's without the game being top drawer so you could have a bit of faith in the quality of the game. The game itself worked for me as it was just pleasant to play. Sure it wasnt perfect but you would always want to see what happened next.

good god retr0. have a little pride man :pac:

What did you think of kingdom hearts 2 over KH1? I found the second game to be too easy and gave up after mashing X was the best way to beat the game while KH1 was up there with DMC and Ninja Gaiden for chalenge.

Also you mention you bought it due to it being from Square. I used to buy everything from square and never be disappointed. Now when I see the square enix logo it's either a sign to avoid the game totally or approach cautiously. Are you the same and if so what went wrong?

Better in every single way for me bar what you mention Retr0, wish I had tried it on hard cos I also have no real inclination to play through it again.

I agree but I love my DMC style games and never play them on anything but the hardest default level and KH 2 was a massive disappointment for me because of how dull and unchallenging it was.

Funny DMC was my first ever PS2 game (GTA3 was out of stock EVERYWHERE the day I got my ps2 in Jan 2002) but I never finished it.

God I thought the matrix physics were the best thing ever. Never went for any of the sequels either though.

I think the reason I don't notice the Square decline like you do is because, up until recently, the only Square games I got were FFs and obviously 10 was brilliant while 12 was a bit disappointing.

Even now its mostly Square published than Square developed games I seem to be playing recently. DQ or Persona.

Finished another dungeon on P4 yesterday by the way and am now at 50 hours play time. There an awful lot of repitition in these games though, even more than in most RPGs it has to be said.

Anyway, Jazzy, I would also like to know your Square feelings, specifically what you have been playing recently-ish with their name attached (so published or developed)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Do you ever see yourself reaching a point, where games and gaming in general will no longer appeal to you?

Do you believe that there is a state of mind, often referred to as 'the zone', and if so, does it allow for improved gameplay?

There has been some talk in recent years of drug use to improve gaming ability/gaming enjoyment. Do you believe this is common practice, and do you think actual ability can be improved by such things?

Will you ever play a Massively Multi-Player Online game, be it RPG or other?

What did you think of kingdom hearts 2 over KH1? I found the second game to be too easy and gave up after mashing X was the best way to beat the game while KH1 was up there with DMC and Ninja Gaiden for chalenge.

Also you mention you bought it due to it being from Square. I used to buy everything from square and never be disappointed. Now when I see the square enix logo it's either a sign to avoid the game totally or approach cautiously. Are you the same and if so what went wrong?

Believe it or not I never played KH2. I was really excited about it for a long time and I thought it looked deadly but then it took ages to come out and by the time it did I wasnt that fussed. My mate bought it and said it was "okay". KH1 was great though. The last boss fights are pretty funny... "and now prepare yourself for.... MORE BOSSES". i HATED atlantis though, such an annoying stage.

Yeah I'm kinda the same with Square retro. I thought they were better then sliced bread for years and I think the last game from them I really enjoyed was FFX (and KH). I bought FFXII and I played it for all of 2 hours. I just found myself not that interested. I cant really explain it, I just didnt really care for the game. I see announcements from them at E3 and I just write them off as some other developer. I dont think those new FFVII games really helped them either. should have just left it at the film.
    If I was to sum it up, Id simply say that the spark is gone.

Asked by Dabounca

Do you ever see yourself reaching a point, where games and gaming in general will no longer appeal to you?

I dont think that will ever happen. My interest might wane in some genres, but as long as I know people playing and as long as there is good games I cant see myself ever quitting. There is too much to games for them to lose their appeal to me.

Do you believe that there is a state of mind, often referred to as 'the zone', and if so, does it allow for improved gameplay?

Yeah there is. I definitely go through spates of being really good... that said it can also go the other way and I can be terrible. Id say 80% of the time I just play my normal game, 10% Im in the zone and another 10% Im in a troth. When you are in that zone everything is just that much simpler in the game. You aim better, you judge where the opponent is going quicker, you time better. The whole experience just becomes less complicated. It allows for improved gameplay as you start pwnz0ring teh n00bs of course! You get to see yourself push your limits and really see what you are capeable of and how far the game can bring you. At the end of the day multiplayer gaming can really test your mental aptitude and your hand eye co-ordination and its exciting to see what skills you can pull off. When you make a great shot in the game and you know its great, you're smiling inside :)

There has been some talk in recent years of drug use to improve gaming ability/gaming enjoyment. Do you believe this is common practice, and do you think actual ability can be improved by such things?

No I dont think its really that true. I think it can often be a placebo in games where you think you'll be a lot better then you are due to having drank red bull or smoked a joint but at the end of the day your ability comes down to how you express yourself in the game. Obviously, if you go in calmer you might be able to do better, but then again you can say the same if you go in on edge. It just depends on how the game is played. I think organisations like WCG bigging up drug testing is a PR/Marketing thing, "look at us sponsors, we too are fighting the war on drugs. Aint we lovely". Is it common practice? I dont know, impossible to tell really. It happens though, but I dont think that has anything to do with games, its just the people playing them.

Will you ever play a Massively Multi-Player Online game, be it RPG or other?

Only if a Battletech / Mechwarrior one comes out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Jazzy boy, Fifa or Pro Evo? Football Manager or Championship Manager? Pink or Brown?

V9 wrote: »
    Jazzy boy, Fifa or Pro Evo? Football Manager or Championship Manager? Pink or Brown?

Pro Evo because it is simply better
    Football Manager because it is Championship Manager
    Pink with a hint of brown

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

If you where stuck playing just one video game genre, what genre would it be?

If you told you where only allowed to play only game from each genre you like, what games would they be?

Rate whats most important to you in relation to a video game for you?
    (Depth, Balance, Stability, Story, Graphics, Sandbox etc etc)

Why did you become a UT player as opposed to a Quake player?

Why do you think so few games make it big in the world of e-sports?

If you could make a game what type of game would you make?

Where did you come up with HEGA?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Do you think there is a future in the Unreal series?

Should a sequel to Warcraft III be made or should it be left as is?

Whats your favourite flavour of pringles?

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

How do you respond to allegations that you buckle in games where there's no walldodging or bunnyhopping?

Do racing games feature in your vision of HEGA, or are they just for button bashing n00bs?

And finally, Ben "reyno/x.CaLiBRe" Reynolds, Ireland's greatest ginger?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Jazzy, would you kindly answer these questions honestly:

Do you believe / like the idea of competitive gaming or is it sarcasm (stupid internet text!)?

Favourite players / teams?

Opinion on Unreal franchise being shelved?

When will Duke Nukem Forever be released?

What do you think of the new approach that is creeping in where games are not given LAN support (QuakeLive / Starcraft 2)?

What game would you love to see a sequel to?

What game would you love to see updated (i.e. Exact same gameplay but updated graphics)?

🤪

Asked by Azza

If you where stuck playing just one video game genre, what genre would it be?
    First person shooters most likely. They are the most versatile and probably the most fun. If I was to compile a top ten list of games FPS's would be the most consistent genre. Id miss DotA but c'est la vie.

If you told you where only allowed to play only game from each genre you like, what games would they be?
    RTS - DotA / Heroes of Newerth
    FPS - Quakelive
    RPG - Crono Trigger
    Fighting - Street Fighter 4
    Platformer - Super Metroid
    Adventure - Eternal Darkness
    God Sim - Civilisation 2
    Racing - F-Zero GX

Rate whats most important to you in relation to a video game for you?
    (Depth, Balance, Stability, Story, Graphics, Sandbox etc etc)

Well, a game has to be fun first. I suppose it depends what type of game you are going to buy. If you are getting a single player game then I suppose story would be most important, that and the setting of the game would be what attracts me to it. I might read a review of a game before hand just to be sure but I often find you are able to judge a game by its cover.
    For multiplayer games I suppose Im very particular. If its not a fast paced FPS or something I know people are playing then Im not really interested. Ive ignored the CoD series for years now and Im not about to get into them, no matter how good the single player is. Dunno why, I just dont like camping :pac:

Why did you become a UT player as opposed to a Quake player?
    Well, back in the days of Nethouse we would all play CS & Red Alert 2. I was one of the few who would push for Quake 3 and we might get an hour of that in. Then all my other friends got UT and we all started playing that, they "just didnt like" Q3 and I was the only one trying to get it played. I liked the original UT but I much preferred Quake. Then UT2003 came out and I thought the game had a bit more zazz then the original. It seemed faster and more solid so I messed about with it in single player. I still wasnt playing much online then (Return to Castle Wolfenstein was the only game I was playing online) and UT2003 wasnt without its problems. I then got playing UT2004 online a bit, just instagib on the flatliners server and that sort of thing. Then a chance meeting with one of my old nethouse buddies on the street and he tells me of 'Gamecon' where they have UT competitions and Soul Calibur tournaments and I was like "so whens the next one?" And then I went and had tons of fun playing in the UT2004 compos getting beat by Jedi & BK and then I met the unreal.ie lads and it all went from there.... come 2007 Im beating Nag in the final :pac:

Why do you think so few games make it big in the world of e-sports?
    Because the world of E-Sports is a messy one and a divided one. People are very particular as to what games they watch and what games they take seriously. I point to CSS vs. CS 1.6 as a perfect example of this. one is a mild chedder, the other mature... but there is probably a billion hateful words from each side over which is better and which is a better "e-sport". It comes down to what is accepted by communities really. CoD did well as it was quite universal. It isnt a hard game to play and you can see your skill progress quite easily. Compare that to Quake or CS where people have been playing for years and n00bs tend to get blown out of the water and you can see why CoD was popular. Then there is the X-Factor, and by that I mean World of Warcraft. The one game that single handedly shut down the servers for entire communities of FPS players. LAN party attendence went down, competitions and ladders ceased to operate and Tourney organisers went bankrupt. I blame a lot of this on WoW and how popular it is. Now I see pr0 WoW teams appearing just to rub salt in the wound.
    Ultimately, a game will become an "E-Sport" if it is popular enough or if there is sufficient dedication by members of its community. The work of the modders & mappers can never be underestimated and whole communities owe them far more then they realise.

If you could make a game what type of game would you make?
    A Battletech/Mechwarrior MMO :)

Where did you come up with HEGA?
    HEGA / Hardcore E-sports Gaming Action was just me taking the piss out of the uber seriousness that exists in the world of gaming and esports. You see all these organisations with funny names like WCG, ESWC, CPL etc. and how they are always trying to sell just how serious gaming is and I can't help but laugh. If 'esports' was left to grow naturally it would be in a far better position then what it is now. Right now its a load of money men with no good ideas trying to make a quick buck and they normally fall flat on their face (hi CHAMPIONSHIP GAMING SERIES / CGS). I guess HEGA is just satire on that sort of thing. There is one guy I know, Ive had tea with his mum, met his kid and wife and had a ruddy good time with and he honest to god hates me all over internet gaming teams. That is the power of HEGA.
    It can also be used in that other way. Me and my friends are always taking the piss, phoning each other up and just saying "HEGA?" and we know that means its time to get our pwnage on :p Its a prod and poke against the people that take games too seriously, because at the end of the day, we are all just having a laugh when we play

Ill get around to the other questions soon!

Asked by Cherryghost

Do you think there is a future in the Unreal series?
    Right now, no. In about 5 years or so? Why not. UT3 did a good job in taking UT backwards by nerfing movement, overpowering the weapons and essentially making it more n00b friendly. The result was that new players didnt take to it anyway as CoD & Halo were more popular and the hardcore fans were left going "wtf?". Couple all that with awful maps and shag all community support and its no surprise the game tanked. It got better about a year after it was released but it was far too late by then. The game has its fanboys but they are few and far between. Public play isnt that popular and I think UT2004 still has more people playing online today. Wouldnt be surprised if UT99 had more players then UT3 tbh. By making UT "accessible" to console players and catering towards their needs they ruined one of the best multi-player FPS games out there, yet companies are still doing this as there is money to be made from the pelicans. When people forget about UT3 then they might make a sequel, but alas it won't matter as they will still c*ck it up by designing it for the xbox720Xtr3me edition HEGA++. You just can't make a deathmatch FPS on a console as they use a gamepad. You need a keyboard and mouse.

Should a sequel to Warcraft III be made or should it be left as is?
    I don't see why not. If there is going to be a sequel I cant see it being made for about 5 years or so as Blizzard finish SC2 and Diablo 3 and then the various WoW related things that will pop up. Maybe they could tie the story into WoW somehow or at least try and come up with some sort of connectivity like having your character in WoW in the game or something. Id like for Blizzard to make it as they are just so bloody marvellous at making RTS games. It would be good for people that play WoW to play another genre too (not saying they all don't but I'm talking about Jonny Casual and his mates).

Whats your favourite flavour of pringles?
    Salt & Vinegar

Asked by Menenfail
    How do you respond to allegations that you buckle in games where there's no walldodging or bunnyhopping?
    I respond by saying that games without said attributes are for nabs anyway and I wouldnt be playing them. How is camping going at the door to A?

Do racing games feature in your vision of HEGA, or are they just for button bashing n00bs?
    No, racing games do not feature in my vision for HEGA. They are indeed for button bashing n00bs who don't know how to play a game with even an ounce of skill required.

And finally, Ben "reyno/x.CaLiBRe" Reynolds, Ireland's greatest ginger?
    Its a tough one between him and Joe McCaul. I think X to tha C pips it on account of his pr0ness

Asked by Sabre0001
    Do you believe / like the idea of competitive gaming or is it sarcasm (stupid internet text!)?
    I do like and I do believe in it, its just funny the way some of the organisations promote themselves. Its so over serious and can be very tacky. I liked ESWC as they always seemed quite humble and quite adept at running events and making players happy. Matthew Dallon actually seemed to care for the community and he was always willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Its organisations like CPL which really make it look ridiculous. Most of the American organisations have gone down the toilet and often they drag a lot of players with them and provide further doubt on sponsorship. The MGL seem to be doing well but I still have doubts over their long term future but I hope they can prove me wrong. Its very easy to take the p1ss out of E-Sports and competitive gaming as a whole but when I do my tongue is firmly in my cheek. I applaud the efforts of anyone in this country that is hosting events or trying to push it forward. Azrayel, Bio, Pyrogenx etc. really have worked extremely hard for this community and have never asked for anything in return so to ridicule their efforts is preposterous. Heck theres even this guy that runs some website who deserves a slap on the back but I forget who he is. I dunno, I probably could and should have done more myself but a few things got in the way.... as well as a few games (DotA anyone?)

Favourite players / teams?
    Favorite player is a tricky one. Id be inclined to go for the Quake player Av3k as he seems one of the very few to have their head screwed on and hes also very funny. His style of play is incredible as well and he is an expert at predicting his opponents and getting in their face. If he likes a game and actually practices hes pretty unstoppable too, I was disappointed with his showing at Quakecon but you can sort of see that he isnt that fussed anymore. + he was the one that finally toppled Toxic in Q4 and that really took some doing.
    Other favorites would be:
    Cooller - The mac daddy and what a smart player
    Winz - For winning at both UT & Quake in ESWC finals and taking so much stick for it. Skill is skill at the end of the day
    roBBe - classy UT2004 player and a really smart player in a game that was so dominated by aim
    Stork - 'He who makes no mistakes'. Brilliant Starcraft player and the first one I stood up and took notice of.
    Boxer - For proving pr0 gaming could work
    Fatal1ty - same as boxer and for being a nice guy throughout even though there is so much unnecessary hate for him
    Rapha - for being a skillful, humble player and not being shy about being religious.
    Fox - for his configs :)http://www.fojji.se/
    Kronic - Because when he wins tournaments later on ill be able to go "I got a map off him!" and also because hes lovely

Favorite team? I dunno, Ill go with SK-Gaming because they have the best website :)
    well them and tms, naturally

Opinion on Unreal franchise being shelved?
    Think I explained this one above. I don't really mind that its shelved. Hopefully it means more will get into Quakelive.

When will Duke Nukem Forever be released?
    When the world is awash with fear and decay and the vultures have inherited the earth, Duke shall rise from the ashes and go "IVE GOT BALLS OF STEEL"

What do you think of the new approach that is creeping in where games are not given LAN support (QuakeLive / Starcraft 2)?
    Feckin annoying if you ask me. Its all due to programs such as garena tapping into the lan code so that you dont need a CD-Key to play online. Quakelive I think eventually will have LAN support but a lot of features in QL are still someway off. I can understand from a developers point of view why they want to do this but it is just going to cause lots of hassle at LANs and that sort of thing. I think you have to do something like that with CSS anyway dont ya to play on LAN? Long story short, its annoying and irritating but I understand it.

What game would you love to see a sequel to?
    Freespace 2 without question. That or Eternal Darkness.
    I really don't see why some developer doesnt get the rights to Freespace and make a big balls to the wall sequel. Heck, it could even work on consoles easy enough without taking much out of the gameplay. There hasnt been a truly great space sim like it in years and its incredible to think that 11 years after its release its still the daddy.

What game would you love to see updated (i.e. Exact same gameplay but updated graphics)?
    Hmmmmmmm...... not sure. I might just say FFVII to p1ss of retr0 as he seems to be going through his yearly thing of hating on it atm ;)
    More really though, Id like to see an updated Secret of Mana with cutscenes and graphics and maybe a secret dungeon or 2. That game meant a lot to me as a kid so Id like to see it make a comeback.

I don't hate it, it's just not the best game ever, not even close.

Secret of Mana was supposed to have cutscenes when it was a SNES play station game until the add on got scrapped.

• Advertisement

I don't hate it, it's just not the best game ever, not even close.

Secret of Mana was supposed to have cutscenes when it was a SNES play station game until the add on got scrapped.

but it doesnt have one of the worst endings either ;)
    you know that ending is good regardless of how poor you think the story is

Advertisement