Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower enclosure advice please...

Options
  • 22-08-2009 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I'm ripping out a bath and replacing with a shower. Need to get a shower enclosure. Only thing is whilst the most suitable enclosure is 1000mm X 700mm, that leaves a gap of 100mm as one of the walls is only 600mm. Do I have to buy some sort of customised enclosure or what is the fix for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

is it that the gap between two walls is 700mm? could you get a 750mm or 800mm tray and dig some out of the wall? then just fill it back once you have the tray fitted? i know it sounds like hard work but is the best way out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

is it that the gap between two walls is 700mm? could you get a 750mm or 800mm tray and dig some out of the wall? then just fill it back once you have the tray fitted? i know it sounds like hard work but is the best way out of it
    Not quite. Its that the wall at the end doesnt come out far enough. The minimum width enclosure I can get is 700mm (as far as im aware ...although not sure I would want it any narrower anyways) - but the wall only comes out 600mm from the corner.
    Otherwise to compensate, I have gone for a rectangular shower - going 1000mm in the other direction. Only issue then is can I get a shower enclosure that caters for this 100mm piece of enclosure that will be needed to meet up with the tiled wall?

could you forget about a shower tray and either 1 build your own or do a wet room style tray and just slope your floor towards a trap in the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

Build a false wall, (Stud wall) that way you can hide all the pipe work inside the new wall save you having to chase out a solid wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You cannot get a shower tray less than 700mm. The 2 most popular tray sizes for a bath removal are 1000x700 or 760 and 800 or 900 Quad

Additionally although its done i would avoid wetrooms upstairs if i were you. People usually use cheap solutions and if you use a dear on it would be cheaper to change your bathroom around to make a bigger tray suit.

Have you looked at actually changing your bathroom around? Sometimes sinple solutions are hard to see when your mind is set on one way.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

is the bathroom upstairs or downstairs? ya i agree with joey. would re arranging be an option to fit it in?

You cannot get a shower tray less than 700mm
    Yes, I didn't think so - and i don;t think I would want that anyways - as it simply wouldnt be functional if it was any narrower than 700mm.
    Additionally although its done i would avoid wetrooms upstairs if i were you.
    No...thats not an option in this instance.
    Have you looked at actually changing your bathroom around? Sometimes sinple solutions are hard to see when your mind is set on one way.
    Its a very small bathroom in a semi-d. Can't see any other way to be honest.
    gorwanvfr wrote:
    Build a false wall, (Stud wall) that way you can hide all the pipe work inside the new wall save you having to chase out a solid wall.
    Thanks but thats not really an option either. Space is too tight. The door is just behind it.
    @mazthespark: Bathroom is upstairs.

mite be a stupid idea but could u get one made for yourself? or make one in situ. obviously wouldnt look like a normal shower tray but im sure your not the first person to try this. could get one built out of stainless steel or something like that? seen one built somewhere before will see if i can find a pic of one

http://livinghouse.co.uk/acatalog/shower-tray-black-mosaic.jpg
    could u build something like that. use a waterproof membrane on the floor and wrapped up the sides of tray and up the wall then tile over?? mitent be suited upstairs maybe tho

If you could take a couple of pictures I might be able to give you some ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭skingtile

you can fit 700 and make up the differance with a piece of clear perspex at the window if the height allows. or you can a D shaped shower, often done with moving the toilet for a total new look bathroom.products.php?cat=1&item=7see pic

skingtile wrote: »
    you can fit 700 and make up the differance with a piece of clear perspex at the window if the height allows.
    Hi. Its not a window - but would be a complete length that would be required from top to bottom - theres a shortfall of wall of 140mm.
    you can a D shaped shower, often done with moving the toilet for a total new look bathroom.see pic
    Yes - this *might* be a solution. I'm not sure how it would look (the rounded side of it is going to come very close to the existing right angled wall) - and I will have to be very careful in measuring this out accurately as not much space to work with. I will also have to move shower/wiring from one wall to the other - something I will have to discuss with plumber (he's also a sparks so at least thats handy).

seems a tricky one, can you post a rough sketch with measurements

seems a tricky one, can you post a rough sketch with measurements
    Will come back with measurements but for now, heres a pic that gives some idea of the space available.
    Currently, shower in bath - set on wall adjacent to the doorway. Bath to come out but a rectangular shower 700x1000 will mean that the shower comes out to the edge of the bath as seen in the photo. Theres no wall at this end to account for the 140mm of shortfall. If I put it in the opposite corner, electrics have to be moved. Also, still have problem as window comes into play within that 700mm width.
    Need to get my head around whether that 700*900mm D shaped shower you suggested will fit - and how it will look...

Would need to see more. Is your window over the toilet?

Is your window over the toilet?
    Yes, thats right. Its directly above it but if i put the shower that end (assuming the wiring can be redone to facilitate this), the cill encroaches on that 700mm width needed for the shower...so I would still have to get some type of 'infill panel' in order to totally enclose it.

Why dont you look at bringing the wall nearest me out another 100mm. This can be done with glass blocks to improve the look then you can put a 1200 x 700 shower tray in or you can put a 1000 x 700 shower tray and still be left with a bit of space for a cabinet,

I also think the D shapped shower would be a great idea here as mentioned above. This is 1000mm across and avaibale from

www.imageshowers.ie

you actually have three options, least expensive easiest, if you have some spare tiles or can get them, fix 2 4 by 2 to end wall, cover in wbp ply and you will have enough wall for enclosure of c
    hoosing ,would recommend offset quad, left hand opening 800 by 1000 or 1200 pic, sorry this is right hand ope but you get the drift

you actually have three options, least expensive easiest, if you have some spare tiles or can get them, fix 2 4 by 2 to end wall, cover in wbp ply and you will have enough wall for enclosure of c
    hoosing ,would recommend offset quad, left hand opening 800 by 1000 or 1200 pic, sorry this is right hand ope but you get the drift

+1 like this option aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

sorry for the thread hijack but if you get any recommendations for someone to do this (i am in cork area) could you pass them on as I am looking at something similar. cheers.

• Advertisement

if you are consiering a total makeover can recommend, please state extent of project.
    www.bathroombliss.info

sorry for the thread hijack but if you get any recommendations for someone to do this (i am in cork area) could you pass them on as I am looking at something similar. cheers.
    @jaggie: sorry but other side of country so can't help you out.

I think I've found a solution that will save me going to the bother of altering the wall. Have found this circular corner unit. Just waiting to hear back from them as regards at what point enclosure meets wall on either side. If i'm lucky, will not have to move shower either.
    Have not been able to source a similar product strangely...

Eurorunner wrote: »
    @jaggie: sorry but other side of country so can't help you out.

I think I've found a solution that will save me going to the bother of altering the wall. Have found this circular corner unit. Just waiting to hear back from them as regards at what point enclosure meets wall on either side. If i'm lucky, will not have to move shower either.
    Have not been able to source a similar product strangely...

Yes but they are a min of 800 out from the wall. Vogue bathrooms does an expensive version of them in ireland. Have a look at them I dont think that will do. The D shapped one is the only way bar a wall

Yes but they are a min of 800 out from the wall. Vogue bathrooms does an expensive version of them in ireland. Have a look at them I dont think that will do. The D shapped one is the only way bar a wall
    I really hope they curve in further than that. They are 850 out each direction - at the apex of the curve. It looks like they curve in much more...waiting from two different suppliers for confirmation.
    If it doesn't, its a shame. There must be many more people living in boxes where space is tight like this. Can't afford the complication, expense or time with messing with the wall tbh.

Eurorunner wrote: »
    I really hope they curve in further than that. They are 850 out each direction - at the apex of the curve. It looks like they curve in much more...waiting from two different suppliers for confirmation.
    If it doesn't, its a shame. There must be many more people living in boxes where space is tight like this. Can't afford the complication, expense or time with messing with the wall tbh.

For the price of one of these doors and trays you would have paid for a wall extension and shower tray and door

that would work as curvature starts 600 from corner, looks lovely but dont drop the soap, they are a little tight, would suggest you locate one on display and stand inside it

that would work as curvature starts 600 from corner
    Is that for definite??...need 550 to swing it!
    looks lovely but dont drop the soap, they are a little tight, would suggest you locate one on display and stand inside it
    I'd imagine so but it does fix the problem. I guess it will have to be an obesity-free house!

definitly starts 600, ,go bigger, go green, save water and energy , shower together

That unit wont work. Go look at vogues unit on display in blanchardstown its the exact same dimensions.

• Advertisement

That unit wont work. Go look at vogues unit on display in blanchardstown its the exact same dimensions.
    Ok, can't make that work. I think the only other option is to centre a D shaped enclosure (similar to the one skingtile suggested earlier) along the wall where the bath is right now.

Wheres the best value to be had for this type of enclosure?

Advertisement