Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back to School Allowance - What is going on?

• 22-08-2009 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

What is the delay with back to School allowance?

We submitted our form when they came out, our kids are back at school next week and yet we STILL HAVENT received our payment!

Anyone else in this situation?

Its really pathetic, we have had to borrow from family just to buy school books and uniforms.

And what really upsets me is when you walk into any government building you see lots of staff doing nothing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Simple answer is that there is a backlog.

If you are entitled to it then you will get it, you can pay your family back when it comes through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

FreedomJoe wrote: »
    What is the delay with back to School allowance?

We submitted our form when they came out, our kids are back at school next week and yet we STILL HAVENT received our payment!

Anyone else in this situation?

Its really pathetic, we have had to borrow from family just to buy school books and uniforms.

And what really upsets me is when you walk into any government building you see lots of staff doing nothing!

the health board administer that scheme so you could call into the local CWO and find out when it will be processed.
    since when can you call into any government office and have a look around?it mostly only social welfare offices that are public buildings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

FreedomJoe wrote: »

No, that statement is what is pathetic. Do you really and truly believe that the staff in the CWO office that you gave in your application form to are sitting around drinking cups of coffee and reading magazines!?? Come off it. As Billy said, there are tremendous backlogs, and in truth the staff just can't cope with the influx. Some areas are dealing with double the caseloads with no extra resources. Thank the government for that situation.

Some CWO areas did pay the grants out early - in the NE region some were paid as early as June - but - there were also complaints by those that received them that this was too early, and the money was spent by the time they needed to get school supplies. You can't win!!

Saying that, I realise that it is difficult waiting for the grant - but at least you know that you will get your €305 per child payment asap. I know many low paid government workers who would love to get that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

uoluol wrote: »
    No, that statement is what is pathetic. Do you really and truly believe that the staff in the CWO office that you gave in your application form to are sitting around drinking cups of coffee and reading magazines!?? Come off it. As Billy said, there are tremendous backlogs, and in truth the staff just can't cope with the influx. Some areas are dealing with double the caseloads with no extra resources. Thank the government for that situation.

Some CWO areas did pay the grants out early - in the NE region some were paid as early as June - but - there were also complaints by those that received them that this was too early, and the money was spent by the time they needed to get school supplies. You can't win!!

Saying that, I realise that it is difficult waiting for the grant - but at least you know that you will get your €305 per child payment asap. I know many low paid government workers who would love to get that!!!

I have no doubt people in the Welfare offices ar working hard.

But I recently popped into my local tax office and yes there were plenty of workers sat around doing very little drinking cups of tea.

I popped into Galway City council offices and noticed some of there staff stood around bitching about something.

This is the waste im talking about.

We have the situation that many schools return next week. And yet the very payment created to help low income families get their kids back to school has been ballsed up big time.

It is shocking that people who are poor cant receive the payment that is provided to help them put their kids back into school.

Dont forget this is also at a time that the school books grant scheme has been scrapped and transport fees have increased.

Can you imagine had the chritmas bonus still been offered this year. Some families would be receiving this in late January based on the delays we have at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I too applied start of June.
    Still heard nothing.
    Rang their 1890 number on several occasions only to get left waiting after a recorded message saying I will get it within the next week. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

I received mine in today's post:)

SuperTyper wrote: »
    I received mine in today's post:)

You in the cork/Kerry district by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

I'm in Dublin.

SuperTyper wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin.

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

vectra wrote: »
    I too applied start of June.
    Still heard nothing.
    Rang their 1890 number on several occasions only to get left waiting after a recorded message saying I will get it within the next week. :confused:

exact same as that.i'm in the south east but still no sign of it today and the kids are back on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭FreedomJoe

But dont worry.

Whilst we struggle, Cowen can fly off to America.

Forgot to post back here but it arrived last friday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annash

Anybody from carlow/kilkenny area received it yet? We still haven't got ours and when I try to phone I am on a loop that says will get it in the next week, which it has been saying for the last 2! Then I get - putting you through to operator, operator number not valid and goodbye, like Anne Robinson "you are the weakest link, goodbye".

I have tried phoning several times and at different times of the day but cannot get through to a human being!

It is a little worrying and I am just looking even for confirmation that they have actually received our application.

Anybody else round here had better luck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Have you tried sending them a letter, annash?

Hi Xiney, you know that never even occurred to me, I'll give it a go, although, I know it sounds defeatist, but I wouldn't anticipate a response from them any time soon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

true, but it sure beats waiting on hold for hours :)

That's the point though, don't get to wait on hold, just get told "goodbye" and unceremoniously cut off :pac: Still, I suppose it is saving on the phone bill and I will try your suggestion, thanks!

annash wrote: »
    Anybody from carlow/kilkenny area received it yet? We still haven't got ours and when I try to phone I am on a loop that says will get it in the next week, which it has been saying for the last 2! Then I get - putting you through to operator, operator number not valid and goodbye, like Anne Robinson "you are the weakest link, goodbye".

I have tried phoning several times and at different times of the day but cannot get through to a human being!

It is a little worrying and I am just looking even for confirmation that they have actually received our application.

Anybody else round here had better luck?

when did you apply?

It was end of june or beginning july, I think, can't remember exactly, quite early on though.

annash wrote: »
    It was end of june or beginning july, I think, can't remember exactly, quite early on though.

Last message I got was "If you applied Late June you will have your payment in the next 3 to 4 days"
    "If you applied in July you would have you payment within the next week"

I did apply in early june and got my payment withing the 4 days.
    Fingers crossed you will have it shortly.
    ;)

• Advertisement

Actually caught up with another mum here and she hasn't got hers yet either, so at least it is not just me!

Thanks vectra, keeping mine crossed too cos come end of month if it doesn't come through, could be short on the rent money :eek:

Phew, we received our cheque this morning, feels like a long time coming, but, hey, now we can pay the rent :D Thanks to all for your advice and suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I am begging for help - I rang & rang & rang & eventually got through this morning. The tools cant find my application. I cant reapply as the scheme is finished. Anyone know of anything I can do? €400 is like a million pounds to us at the moment. The tools also lost my medical card application. Pure incompetancy ??

jenzz wrote: »
    I am begging for help - I rang & rang & rang & eventually got through this morning. The tools cant find my application. I cant reapply as the scheme is finished. Anyone know of anything I can do? €400 is like a million pounds to us at the moment. The tools also lost my medical card application. Pure incompetancy ??

Maye bring a utility bill (ESB)to your CWO saying you cannot pay it as a result of having to dress your kids for school ?
    and ask for assistance?

vectra wrote: »
    Maye bring a utility bill (ESB)to your CWO saying you cannot pay it as a result of having to dress your kids for school ?
    and ask for assistance?

Thank you - well funnily enough todays one was €174 & last one was €194 still outstanding) close to €400..... i feel awful begging but seriously I honestly do not have €1.

Thank you - well funnily enough todays one was €174 & last one was €194 still outstanding) close to €400..... i feel awful begging but seriously I honestly do not have €1.

Well there you go..
    Bring both in showing the outstanding one.. you will get some help I would think ;)

Thanks Vectra - Ill pay a little visit next Tuesday to herself & see what she can do.

Thanks Vectra - Ill pay a little visit next Tuesday to herself & see what she can do.

Hope it goes ok for you.
    If you do have any other outstanding ones bring them as well and say it is a result of having to spend the money on clothing for school(s)
    Bring any refusal letters to her regarding the Back to school clothing allowance as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Louise123g

Im just wonder if any one else is still waiting , i sent the forms off in july and i got a text confirming it had been received but it still hasnt arrived and its the 10 of November ???

• Advertisement
Advertisement