Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has your garden refused to bloom this summer?

Options
  • 22-08-2009 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I dunno if its the cumulative effect of three lousy summers but my garden is largely on strike. Several shrubbs and flowers have hardly shown thier colours at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i've found everything slow this year, well apart from weeds. I was looking forward to a nice summer for ages, and it seemed we were in line for one. Then we get this crapola. Not impressed mother nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

It could it be down to the lack of the honey bee. I havent seen one this year,ive only seen bumble bees. The bees are having a bad time of it,theyre disappearing.

I saw a good documentry on bbc about it.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jzjys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

i've found everything slow this year, well apart from weeds.

I'll second that. Also, of the seeds I sowed directly into the earth at the prescribed time, very few came up and very late, after I had despaired of them altogether. Only one sweetpea came up out of a packet of seeds, and only 2 evening primrose! (yes I know you're not supposed to sow them directly into the earth, but I've dne it before with success)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

yes I agree.
    Bedding flowers and hanging baskets for me were a disaster this year
    We had spinach sown an with all the rain it bolted straight from seed.

Weeds galore this year and also an influx of Slugs big fat brown and black ones to boot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My garden is doing OK. sweetpea flying, Corn all looking healthy, Courgettes produce about 4 per week@ 15cm long.
    Spinach flying and most plants seem to be doing well despite the huge rainfall.
    I used a lot of chicken manure on the corn/courgettes and Pumpkin and they seem to like it.
    I have noticed Bees like the wild mint flowers, maybe good to encourage them by planting some mint/wildflowers/clover to encourage them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My garden has gone mental in the last few weeks, cutting pansies back as the growing far to big and loads of flowers. Everything growing really well and lots of flowers. Only the fuscia seems to be struggling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no real problem with lack of flowers; possibly too many, in some respects.

Advertisement