Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Student account in UK

Options
  • 22-08-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi, im going to university this september in the Uk and just wondering does anyone know of a good current account/ International Student account in the Uk.

I need an account that will have easy transfer facilities from Ireland and wont have really high charges for this. I saw Natwest and Lyold have one both ont really understand them.

Im currently with Ulster Bank but cant find anything like a joint account with RBS in the UK ( i thought they where part of the same banking group?)

Any Info please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They are, but the two countries banking systems are complete seperate.

Alas there is no "easy" account that will allow you do cheap/free transfers - I think the rate for an international transfer can be anything between £9 - £20 a pop, depending on the bank in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Could you just not use your Ulster bank card to withdraw cash from a cashpoint as and when you need it? You could also get an Ulster Credit card and use that when cash isn't possible.
    Ulster are issuing Visa Debit cards instead of laser from Sept - so that will make things easier too. (You have to ask (i.e say you have lost or damaged your laser card to get a replacement visa debit) Visa Debit Cards
    If you're not expecting any payments in sterling - this could be the simplest option.

Advertisement