Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully supressed barrel

Options
  • 22-08-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever come across a fully suppressed barrel for a 10 22.

If so; what legal implications would such an item have and what sort of cost would you be looking at???

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yup,but not in Ireland.;) .Costly little toy too,alot of paperwork to own in the US, finicky on it's sub sonic ammo too,but alot of fun.
    Legal,well if a std silencer is doable ,this shouldnt be too much of a problem.ASFIK if it is fully integrated into the gun it doesnt require an extra silencer permit.That means you would have to have the barrel permantly attached to the reciver of the 10/22.
    By rights it isnt a big job to put together by a competant gunsmith/machine shop.There are enough DIY books out there on how to make one for the 10/22,and a good suppressed barrel isnt much bigger than a bull barrel.
    Say about 300 Euros to build ..Soo you could always run this idea past your Super that you want to build one and see what he says.... Stranger things have happened.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Try TROS USA in Oregon, you can find them on the web.. I know that they make a custom 10/22 barrel for ruger.

Technically its a class 2 weapon here and only requires
    1) a $200.00 tax stamp, non refundable
    2) permission from a county sheriff or police chief
    3) routine NCIC background check
    4) the 4 to 6 month waiting period.

And alot of political pull in the US State Dept to get a export permit,as Silencers are prohibited from export from the USA.:(

You could try www.brugger-thomet.ch .Swiss company that makes custom silencers,andASFIK will export.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hibrion wrote: »
    Has anyone ever come across a fully suppressed barrel for a 10 22.

If so; what legal implications would such an item have and what sort of cost would you be looking at???

Thanks.
    I'm fairly sure I've seen one, but it was a while ago and I can't be sure of the details.

I would think it was kind of pointless as you're permanently making an already inaccurate yoke a bit more inaccurate and making it all the more difficult to clean.

I would think it was kind of pointless as you're permanently making an already inaccurate yoke a bit more inaccurate and making it all the more difficult to clean.

Accruacy is relative RR.;) True, the 10/22 isnt a sub MOA tack driver.But it was never concieved as such in the first place..It's designed to bust bunnies or beer cans out at the 50/60 meter range. Cant see how a fully suppressed barrel would make it any worse in accruacy,unless somone screwed up in the manufacturing process,and a proper silencer is no more difficult to clean and dis/re assemble than a bolt off a bolt action rifle..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Accruacy is relative RR.;) True, the 10/22 isnt a sub MOA tack driver.But it was never concieved as such in the first place..It's designed to bust bunnies or beer cans out at the 50/60 meter range. Cant see how a fully suppressed barrel would make it any worse in accruacy,unless somone screwed up in the manufacturing process,and a proper silencer is no more difficult to clean and dis/re assemble than a bolt off a bolt action rifle..
    Well if it was manufactured in place (not removable) then it's not the easiest to either clean the moderator or the barrell, espeecially if you use the vfg felt system; you'd end up with a mod full of little felts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Thanks for all the replies... looks like I'm gonna have a difficult time on my hands getting one on this side of the pond. Seems to be a big deal over in the states then. :confused: Was hoping there was some sort of factory barrel that I could just pick up and screw on... ah well. I just think it would be handy, the shots would be quieter and the overall length shorter seen as I wouldn't need a screw on mod anymore.

With regards to the 10 22 being inaccurate, its not a bolt action and never will be. It is more than accurate out to the distances needed to shoot rabbits, at least that's my experience with it. Before I owned a 22lr I used to just pick them off at pretty long distances... it looses its attraction fairly quickly. Now I enjoy trying to get that little bit closer to them and then taking my shot, and hey, if I really screw up I have another in the magazine without the need to cycle the bolt:D.

rrpc wrote: »
    Well if it was manufactured in place (not removable) then it's not the easiest to either clean the moderator or the barrell, espeecially if you use the vfg felt system; you'd end up with a mod full of little felts :eek:

Usually RR,these types dissamble down to the permantly mounted holed barrel.So you can take out the internals for a good cleaning and usually the outer tube as well.So you would be left with a rather spindly, holey barrel mounted on a threaded base plate on the reciver.A simple pull thru or flexible cleaning rod is all you need then to clean the barrel.Clean the internals ,reassemble as per instructions,pop on the end cap again,job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Soo you could always run this idea past your Super that you want to build one and see what he says.... Stranger things have happened.

you can run it by your super if you want but its illegal as you will be modifying the firearm.. the only person allowed by irish law is a gun dealer !

B&Ts products are excellent and they will export. I have some of there stuff and its top quality but very expensive. however the exportation process is very slow with them and chances are that they will not do a 1 off 10/22 barrel/ suppressor unless your going to pay them considerable money for there time.

Building suppressors isnt a simple science.

OP... there are several american companies offering these barrels or conversions. however because its america, legally its next to if not impossible to get parts like that out !

just to tease... heres 1 company....

http://www.paladinarmory.com/22Rifles.htm

you can run it by your super if you want but its illegal as you will be modifying the firearm.. the only person allowed by irish law is a gun dealer !

And the problem with that would be exactly what????Oh yes! a gunDEALER,not a gunSMITH!!Silly me! I forgot in Ireland because you can sell guns you know how to modify,rebuild and tune any firearm saflely!!
    Wonder how many "gun dealers" here if they were handed a bunch of files and a block of steel,could fashion a set of double hammers for an old hammer shotgun??[Standard apprentice proof work in any major bespoke gun house.]
    Sort of like your average car dealer,can modify your family saloon to street legal Rally performance!
    BTW this isnt a Black& Decker project
    that you will bash out in your tool shed in an afternoon! It does require gunsmithing and/or machine shop time.
    So in theory you WILL be buying it and getting it modified by a" gun dealer"..:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So actually the problem would be to find a gun SMITH that is actually a fitter / turner,or knows how to operate a lathe to do some simple lathe work

Building suppressors isnt a simple science.

Reeeeealllyyyyyyy????????:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.Amazing that! The basic design hasnt changed much since the turn of the last century original Maxim design.
    The materials,layout &design and techniques certainly.But not the concept!
    Maybe IF you are building a "once off" for for an exotic like a full auto,that HAS to use full power ammo or a reciprocating barrel job.But a Ruger 10/22.C'mon PLEEESE!!!!:) It is one of the most commonly suppressed firearms in the US,and liked especially by the DIY silencer community.Yes,this is do able over there as silencers can be still made by a civvie or company, all you register with BATFE is the OUTER TUBE,not the internals.The hardest thing to get to work properly on a silencer is that the gun if it is a semi auto.22 if it to eject and feed properly,and to be quiet enough as well.The first is usually sorted by weaker/shorter recoil springs.The second...well how quiet do you need?There will always be bolt action noiuses,etc.
    legally its next to if not impossible to get parts like that out !
    Surely you werent suggesting getting them illegally????;)
    BUT there are plenty of designs out there on the net ,and books from the US,or downloads of copies of books from the US,that will allow you or your Gun SMITH;) who, if he can read engineer plans to build you one as good as those advertised.
    So it is astill dooable project here.Just have to want to do it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement