Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World OF Warcraft New Expansion Announced!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I spend what 120 a year on subs?

Thats 2-3 xbox games, and I get a constant game with new content, a vibrant social community and constant enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

From my experience playing wow. The no lifers were generally people who are social inept already. They had no life before they came to wow.

There was a major no lifer in my former guild who was on all the time. Generally anytime i logged on she'd be there. She wasn't in college and had no job.

she was really really emo and had just came out as a lesbian. Her gf was a woman who was in psychiatric ward. The gf then got pregnant for some guy but still went out with the guildmate. It was all very strange.

A lot of the guild hated her for her random emo rants and sulks. People who had pity for her soon lose that pity. She was kinda stalking one of the guild officers who was female. Random whispers about liking her. Then she told her one day she had a confession, told her she loved her and quickly logged off.

I quit mostly due to time constraints and people in my guild. The officers were fine and so was a lot of the members but we had a few that would take the piss and let down the whole raid. It was hard enough making time to raid without dealing with that behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

From my experience playing wow. The no lifers were generally people who are social inept already. They had no life before they came to wow.

There was a major no lifer in my former guild who was on all the time. Generally anytime i logged on she'd be there. She wasn't in college and had no job.

she was really really emo and had just came out as a lesbian. Her gf was a woman who was in psychiatric ward. The gf then got pregnant for some guy but still went out with the guildmate. It was all very strange.

A lot of the guild hated her for her random emo rants and sulks. People who had pity for her soon lose that pity. She was kinda stalking one of the guild officers who was female. Random whispers about liking her. Then she told her one day she had a confession, told her she loved her and quickly logged off.

wow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Until the fighting lesbians came up, this was all making wow look quite unattractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Drakar wrote: »
    Until the fighting lesbians came up, this was all making wow look quite unattractive.

I know how you like your wrestling lesbians Padraig. Oily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

From playing wow i became addicted to boards!!

now with this new content coming im really excited! back to level 72 i suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I quit mostly due to time constraints and people in my guild. The officers were fine and so was a lot of the members but we had a few that would take the piss and let down the whole raid. It was hard enough making time to raid without dealing with that behaviour.

Why did you quit? You should have copied as many convos as possible down and sold it as a drama/comedy series to RTE, they will throw any old toss on these days! Just change WoW to Facebook or Bebo and they couldnt pay you fast enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Fairly sure I'll quit when my sub runs out in Oct. I find what I have done in wow to be repetitive and I've no wish to see the bits I haven't done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Terodil wrote: »
    And to those who say 'I can stop it any time, I just like it' -- I dare you to. Isn't it funny how all addicted people say exactly that same sentence? I did too.

I agree with you fully, except for me I've pretty good self control. I could stop playing (I will taking a break for a few months when I'm back to college), but I enjoy the game. I'd still go out regularly, work etc. I think when you let WoW start to cut you off from the rest of your life, that's when you should be scared.

I always found that loading page tip funny: "Bring your friends to Azeroth, but don't forget to go outside Azeroth with them too".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can stop anytime, i just like it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Why did you quit? You should have copied as many convos as possible down and sold it as a drama/comedy series to RTE, they will throw any old toss on these days! Just change WoW to Facebook or Bebo and they couldnt pay you fast enough.

I might still have a screenshot lurking around. I'd have to block any names on it though.

God i need to leave this thread. Talking about wow had me logged back into my old guild forum. I was tempted to reinstall which would be silly as the reasons i left haven't changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I dont know, I hear there may be a cure for night elf pr0n addiction now ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Terodil wrote: »
    But unlike most other games, WoW has no defined end or objective ('there') after which you can say, 'I've done and seen everything'.

- challenges that only a very low % of players ever master... until the next expansion comes out
    - gear that you'll always need to improve
    - factions you need to get rep with
    - builds that will constantly change, and to stay on top you'll need to experiment, read, discuss
    - friends that need help with X, Y, Z
    - other classes that you haven't played before
    - accomodating guild needs, e.g. being the guild gem cutter, or rerolling another function (healer/tank/...) when the need arises

All in all, though, I think it's the social aspect that makes WoW so addictive. It's not the game, it's the people you rely on and who rely on you to make things work. You cannot simply drop out, the world would end without you... or so you believe. Especially if you end up as officer/guild master. *sigh*

And to those who say 'I can stop it any time, I just like it' -- I dare you to. Isn't it funny how all addicted people say exactly that same sentence? I did too.

There's a point in the game where I become very content in doing what I have done. I don't have the undying, or the twilight vanquisher. Although it would be nice, it is not something I yearn to do. I would like to get yogg down though. We are in phase 3 at the moment. It's good to have a nice set of gear. Happens every expansion, I reach a certain level of gear and I become quite happy and don't feel the need to constantly raid. I am more interested in the economy and trying to make as much gold as possible.

Oh you get that in every guild on every server, there is always some young ego maniac that feeds on power. Makes your gaming experience hell because they are bored... You just learn to ignore them idiots. There's one guy in my guild, who goes on like this: "The shamans are MINE, I DO WHAT I WANT WITH THEM" "If you talk in general chat YOU GET MINUS DKP" "I needed that for my offspec..." He would whisper you and ask you to pass some loot for him for his offspec. I hate the guild I am in, there are only a few that help from time to time. You boost them through hcs and naxx 10 for gear on their alts and they don't return the favour.
    Kiith wrote: »
    I can stop anytime, i just like it.

Me too, but if I stop playing, I will be pretty bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Maybe if you all weren't in scrub guilds you would have cleared the content promptly and would have loads of spare time for rl when it was on farm?

Oh wait this isn't the official wow forums...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

TheDoc wrote: »
    Seriously how the **** did a thread on the new expansion come into addictive talking,

That ****e should be put into the charter and banned from discussion.

Thats like going into the cocaine forum and saying " omfg addictive losers"

People get addicted to wow, people get addicted to collecting stamps.

Its their ****ing life they can do what they want.

Seriously why do mods let this retarded discussions continue when they are not constructive, and the topic of debate has been gone over a million times.

Cop the **** on, worse for those feeding the debate with counter points...
    Click... the... report... button.

Most of the mods for these forums are so addicted to World of Warcraft that we're either logged in playing or robbing Grannys to get the cash for our next fix!

But on a serious note, I dont particularly care what people talk about in a thread. If it's getting too far off topic I'll split the thread into two. I do care if people start having a nerdrage and begin name-calling.

Click the report button, or politely GTFO. Thanks.

With regards to the current discussion - we've had it at least 4 times now, on these forums. I think we get the point. Some people think WoW is addictive and others dont believe so.

Can we leave it at that before some people really go crazy?

Advertisement