Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth Repairing?

• 22-08-2009 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,
    Yesterday I purchased a Seat Ibiza 1.0L. Cost me 1850 euro.
    This is my first car and yesterday was my first day having it. What did I do... reversed into a wall next to my garage.
    I am looking for some advice to wether the car worth getting repaired or will I just write it off. Also if anyone knows roughly how much this could cost to get repaired please let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Ya must of beeing doing some speed :eek:

But the car looks like a write off.
    No panel beater would want to repair the quarter panel, he'd just replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mavs.1990

I wasnt going that fast really but its hard to tell, I was ment to put it into first but accidently switched it ito Reverse and I paniced when th car went backwards.

How much are panels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

new panels painted and fitted will cost more than you paid for the car. but if you dont mind driving around in something with some dents you might manage to just fit a new light and the car should be fine to drive.

If its your first car and you have already done something like this it may not be your last scratch maybe just keep going in this for a while. Until you have a bit more experience driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I agree with eddie if you made a mistake like that (in fairness it can happen to anyone) but I'd say that there is a decent chance that you could end up doing something similar again so if I were you I'd drive the car for a while and wait in case you get a few more bashes and then decide whether to repair it or write it off.

If say I did right it off and I decided to get another car maybe Punto say. Could I switch my insurance over to that.. I paid 2700 euro for insurance yesterday for the year on the Seat Ibiza.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

mavs.1990 wrote: »
    If say I did right it off and I decided to get another car maybe Punto say. Could I switch my insurance over to that.. I paid 2700 euro for insurance yesterday for the year on the Seat Ibiza.

Insurance would be handy enough to change over. Once it's a similar sized car.

If I was you though I'd probably just do a home repair, first car and chances are you'll give it the odd bang and knock

what do you mean by home repair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you have comprehensive insurance (and I assume you do at that price...) you may as well claim off that. You don't have a no claims to loose!

2700 euro for insurance is only for third party, fire and theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

mavs.1990 wrote: »
    2700 euro for insurance is only for third party, fire and theft.

ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Put in a new light, and drive it!

Out of interest, have you had any lessons? Not trying to be insulting or anything, but you say you 'panicked'. and thats only in your own driveway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

ottostreet wrote: »
    Put in a new light, and drive it!

Thats exactly wht I was going to say. Your not expierenced so if you went and bought another car, this could well happen again! Just pop in a new light and when it comes to getting rid of the car, put it up for sale for 100 quid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

Fix it up it'll only cost you another €2000 for another car. No need to fix the bumper only the side. Just get touch up paint for the bumper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

I'd say just get it repaired as cheaply as possible, new light and get rid of all the sharp edges. A quick sray to prevent rust. Go to your local independent garage for a price.
    Not worth a 100% perfect repair, which would be costly enough.

A perfect example of why people should not spend too much on a first car.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Buffman wrote: »
    A perfect example of why people should not spend too much on a first car.

I dont agree with this at all. The problem is getting the first car before knowing how to drive it, not the cost of the first car.

Is it ok to buy a sh1t heap and go around bouncing off, people, walls & other peoples cars? No its not even when insurance will cover it.

The OP is clearly not capable of driving on the public road without duel controls. I would suggest driving lessons as a priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont agree with this at all. The problem is getting the first car before knowing how to drive it, not the cost of the first car.

Is it ok to buy a sh1t heap and go around bouncing off, people, walls & other peoples cars? No its not even when insurance will cover it.

The OP is clearly not capable of driving on the public road without duel controls. I would suggest driving lessons as a priority

Yes, in a perfect world that would be the case. However, it is still the 'norm' for many new drivers in this country to consider buying a car the first step in getting on the road, instead of taking lessons first. Without wanting to turn this into a 'Learning to Drive' thread.

I know people who have passed the test, gone into substantial debt for a car, and then damaged it in some way or another.

I notice the OP doesn't say what licence he/she has, maybe it is a full licence. (Probably not I know)

Either way, I bet the OP is glad not to have spent €5K+ on their first car.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No point in writing this car off and buying another one to damage that one too. OP get a few quotes for repairs, your not looking for a perfect job, just need it mended as cheaply as possible. Try to minimise the cost by picking up second hand parts like the bumper and light cluster from a scrap yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Definitely worth keeping. Sounds a tidy little car to me and I like the Ibiza for young drivers, they are a solid car.
    As posters have pointed out here, just get a new (secondhand-try the breakers yards) lamp and gt it touched up the cheap. It will be perfectly fine on a car this age. Safe motoring :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

IMO,

Learn to drive,
    buy can which you can afford be it new or old,
    Get comprehensive insurance if car is worth more than a grand or two. It costs little extra.

Advertisement