Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO geeks

Options
  • 22-08-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

If anyone is using twitter and twittering/tweeting/what evering about Irish MMA e.g. about tonights contenders show maybe they'll tag it as #irishmma so other geeks can search it and maybe follow. just an idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Great idea!!! All future www.fight.ie events will have round by round tweets....
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I always tweet my fighters results from away shows, I'll add that tag in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

i'm not 100% sure what twitter is. I'm trying to avoid it as it sounds like I wouldn't like it. Too many people I find annoying use it. But now I discover it has a use? Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Roper wrote: »
    i'm not 100% sure what twitter is. I'm trying to avoid it as it sounds like I wouldn't like it. Too many people I find annoying use it. But now I discover it has a use? Interesting.

Don't think you'd like it - would be just another medium for complaining about things :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

TKD SC wrote: »
    Don't think you'd like it - would be just another medium for complaining about things :D
    Hmmm, in that case I might like it.

I don't trust new technologies, I saw 2001 A Space Odyessy and that didn't turn out well for anyone. How does one "Follow" someone on this "Twitter" device? It may be handy some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Roper wrote: »
    Hmmm, in that case I might like it.

I don't trust new technologies, I saw 2001 A Space Odyessy and that didn't turn out well for anyone. How does one "Follow" someone on this "Twitter" device? It may be handy some day.

No clue and I don't want to know either!

The best was a few years back, my wife's Dad stating down the pub one night how "I think I'll buy myself one of these internets" (said with thick Mayo accent).
    He's a big guy and ex-boxer so you generally just agree with these type of statements! Though we did say he should prob get a computer first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

At first glance (and possibly last glance) twitter does look like a whole lot of nothing. It's kinda like texting your facebook status. It's strength, in my opinion, is that it's a rapid microblogging device. You can access it from your iphone/web phone or you can even text your tweet to anumber with a regular mobile and it will update your status. Or obviously, from the computer.

So basically anyone in attendance at a MMA show can just throw these comments out and anyone else that's interested can search for the #irishmma parameter and see what's happening.

For example http://twitter.com/#search?q=irishmma

So in theory anyone at a irish mma event can just whistle off these comments and anyone can search for them and read them. if you want to follow that person (equivalent to befriending them on facebook) you just click "Follow" underneath their profile picture. Unlike facebook etc. there really isn't an emphasis on knowing the person in the first place, people routinely follow news websites and celebrities.

So it might take a official results to pop up on the web 2/3 days after an event, or an unofficial one to pop up a couple of hours after an event on boards.ie you could imagine results popping up on twitter at the end of each round. As anyone who's bothered to take their phone out is able to do it you might get a high ratio of signal to noise but that's just how it is.

Advertisement