If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips top end LCD TV reviews

Options
  • 22-08-2009 4:45pm
    Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Boardies,

bit of an amazing week for Philips large screens in the press!

The 42PFL9664 that we were finally able to deliver for some lucky Customers over the last few weeks has just scooped the What Hi-fi Supertest for top-end 40-42" TV's in the latest October issue - it was up against the cream of the cream in TVland including:
    • Sony KDL40S5500
    • Sony KDL40Z5500
    • Panasonic TXP42S10
    • Samsung UE40B8000
    • LG 42LH5000
    • Toshiba 42XV635D

It was reviewed at £1700 (we sell it it W A Y Cheaper than that!) - it gets a completely stunning 5 star review and basically slaughters all the competition here is the final paragraph:

"Finally, as if picture supremacy wasn't enough, the Philips rounds-off it's performance with audio that's got decent bass weight and definition, clear vocals and surprisingly good rythmic precision - mighty impressive by flatscreen standards. In short, the Philips is the best TV here and genuinely one of the most exciting sets we've seen in years"

Next comes the EISA 2009-2010 awards (pretty much the most important and authoritative awards in Europe) - just announced the Philips 46PFL9704 as European LCD TV of the year and the 21:9 Cinewide wins The European Home Theatre innovation award and they say "Philips is the first to offer a truly cinematic widescreen experience from a TV"

But to be honest - the What Hi-Fi review is the corker! It's not online yet but is in the October issue and if anyone wants a copy we're happy to send one out!

As ever give us a shout if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

As someone who has always had Philips tv's (currently have 42PFL7603D and 32PFL5603D) i was delighted to finally see Philips set's reap the rewards in WHF S&V....

Also John, most recently the 42PFL7603D , 32PFL9603D and the PES001 also got rave reviews, 5 Star for all, if my memory serves me correctly

Any chance of a copy of said mag???

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Torres,

I'll buy a rake of them on Monday and pop one in the post to you - just PM me your addy (it's an excellent issue besides the Philips review!)

Thanks as ever,

ATB,

John Mc

Cue 100's of Boardies looking for copies of What hi-fi (and I don't mind BTW!)

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Hey John,

I've being toying with the eternal question of which tv is the one for me. The Sony KDL46W5500 has been the front runner for a while but I like what I see of the Philips models that are around (8404/9664/7404 ). Would yourself and/or Ash please quote me on the 42" version of these?

Would you also pop me off a copy of the review of the 42PFL9664 (in whatever format) as it may be the thing that settles the argument.

PM sent with address.

Whitey

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

John I'll take a copy!!! Nothing like feeling vindicated!

So glad I got this unit, by far the best money I've spent in a while!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭builder22

whiteboard wrote: »
    Hey John,

I've being toying with the eternal question of which tv is the one for me. The Sony KDL46W5500 has been the front runner for a while but I like what I see of the Philips models that are around (8404/9664/7404 ). Would yourself and/or Ash please quote me on the 42" version of these?

Would you also pop me off a copy of the review of the 42PFL9664 (in whatever format) as it may be the thing that settles the argument.

PM sent with address.

Whitey

Hi John,

Can you do the same for me - ie pricing for said sets. Also i would appreciate a copy of the mag - address PM'd to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Whiteboard

Happy to quote prices for the 42"ers

42PFL7404H Boardies price of €800
    42PFL8404H Boardies price €1000
    42PFL9664H Boardies price of €1549

All excellent TV's - The 42PFL9664 is pretty stunning I must say.

hope this tempts you............

cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

AshMiller wrote: »

All excellent TV's - The 42PFL9664 is pretty stunning I must say.

hope this tempts you............

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

if you can spare a copy john, i'd love one too!

it might be the tipping point to decide on an upgrade...

hick wrote: »
    +1

Hick,

C'mon on we all know you can be tempted by anything with a plug on it - Mrs Hick must be a saint by now!

:D

ATB,

John Mc

the raven wrote: »
    if you can spare a copy john, i'd love one too!

it might be the tipping point to decide on an upgrade...

And Raven.. you are not much better than The Hick! another AV tart!

Anyway - apologies guys I missed the post and Raven we will send you a free copy of the new What Hifi with the review in it today.

Thanks again guys - the business is much appreciated,

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.