Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No More Nails for shelves

Options
  • 22-08-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi...has anyone used "No More Nails" for hanging shelves? Is it any good??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It won't take much weight at all. Plus you'll have to keep it stable while it dries.
    There's no way I'd put up shelves with No More Nails.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Definitly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would not use it. For many reasons namly

1. It must be bonded to the wall so you will have to tack and secure it.

2. If it comes away it will most likely bring half the plasterboard

I think no more nails is good for sticking dado rail or beading as such but i would not use it for shelving.

I recently screwed brackets for shelves to the wall and then used silicone to set the shelf on tap. It hold great. You must make sure the surface is clean though.

No matter what i would not fix a shelf to the wall without a screw of some sort. I usually use the lightest screws possible with the smallest plugs so if i am taking the shelf back off I can push the plugs into the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 blackswan

See i'm making floating shelves and hanging them in a corner of the kitchen. It's a top floor apartment and one of the walls contains, i think, the utilities for the building, so the waste pipes etc, hence i'm a bit nervous drilling into that wall...
    any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If it were me i would try drill one hole at the top of the utility side then use the no more nails as support if i am unsure but generally i just take my time go very carefully and drill all the holes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You can buy floating shelves that hang on a hidden bracket that you won't see when the shelf is fixed onto it. It still requires drilling holes for the bracket though.

If you are unsure of whats behind the wall (I'm presuming its a partition wall and not a solid block one judging by your comments), then just drill a small hole the depth of the plasterboard and then push a screw through to see if it meets with any resistance like a pipe etc. You could also try one of the many handheld meters that find pipework, studs, electrical cables etc but in my experience, they are not very accurate, if not useless.

Advertisement