Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about the end of lease

Options
  • 22-08-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been living in a rented house with 2 others for about 4 years now, I signed a lease when we moved in around January or February of that year. I'm thinking of moving out in the new year (my two roommates will prob remain) and was wondering what kind of notice I would need to give after such a long stay?
    Is it still 1 month or does it change the longer you've been living in the house.
    Can't find any info on the prtb site.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

limpdd wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been living in a rented house with 2 others for about 4 years now, I signed a lease when we moved in around January or February of that year. I'm thinking of moving out in the new year (my two roommates will prob remain) and was wondering what kind of notice I would need to give after such a long stay?
    Is it still 1 month or does it change the longer you've been living in the house.
    Can't find any info on the prtb site.

Thanks

The longer you have been a tenant, the longer the notice you have to give.

If you have been there-

Less than 6 months = 28 days notice
    Greater than 6 months, less than 1 year = 35 days notice
    Greater than 1 year, less than 2 years = 42 days notice
    Any tenancy greater than 2 years = 56 days notice

Note: simple expiration of a fixed term tenancy does not necessarily mean the articles defined in the contract cease- it is possible you may have additional rights (or obligations) over an above those defined in the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

smccarrick wrote: »
    The longer you have been a tenant, the longer the notice you have to give.

If you have been there-

Less than 6 months = 28 days notice
    Greater than 6 months, less than 1 year = 35 days notice
    Greater than 1 year, less than 2 years = 42 days notice
    Any tenancy greater than 2 years = 56 days notice

Note: simple expiration of a fixed term tenancy does not necessarily mean the articles defined in the contract cease- it is possible you may have additional rights (or obligations) over an above those defined in the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act.

S.

Thanks v much smccarrick, a big help

Advertisement