Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding 2nd Hdd

Options
  • 22-08-2009 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi, I've added a second sata HDD to my Inspiron 540 which has a 500Gb HDD. Theres power going to the 2nd Hdd but theres nothing showing up on my computer. I've ran device manager and still nothing. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Are both the power and data cables firmly connected at both ends? If its brand new it may need formatting before it can hold data but it should still show a drive letter if its hooked up properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 gonzothegreat

Yeah everything is connected properly, and I'm sure its formatted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

How could you format it if its not being detected in the first place??

I have a USB adaptor for SATA HDD's, when I use this the PC recognizes the drive but when I connect it internally to one of the spare SATA sockets it does'nt recognize it. The drive itself is grand because I took it out of another system and formated it. Weird. I was trying to look it up and some sites suggested I flash the Bios. The PC is only new so I dont see the problem with the bios.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

If your using Vista you need to go to disk management then storage, you should then see the new drive,it needs to be initialised i think then it will show up as normal in my computer

• Advertisement

Thanks Pogica, that done the job. :D

Advertisement