Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets in cork city

Options
  • 22-08-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I don't have a dying animal but i want to go back to college next year to do vet nursing. I can do this in st.john's college in cork city where there is work experience once a week as part of the course.

Its the only thing i ever wanted to do in life and i would like to start the job hunting soon with a vet in cork. I don't really fancy on finding work close to home (which is in galway), just the thought of travelling once a week on bus for 2 years!

I opened the phone book for a list of veterinary clinics and hospitals but i don't know what is in the city. Im not familiar with cork at all. I'd like to apply to places that are easily accessible i.e. walking distance or regular buses. I can drive but im getting rid of my car cause i don't want the expense of it when in college.

So im leaving it up to the people of cork city to help me out on this one. Are there veterinary clinics/hospitals around the city that suit what im looking for? Even outside the city, so long as there are buses?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Heard Richard Healy is good. Don't have a pet myself but my sister does and she swears by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Did this course a few years ago, athough didn't do the vet nursing side of it when it came to the second year.

A few in my class got work experience with some vets around the city, Abbeyville Veterinary Hospital in Togher and Animal Care Centre in Douglas were two that I remember. Both areas accessible by bus. If I remember correctly, in work experience class they pass around a list of places which have taken on people in past years, so that could be helpful if you're still stuck for somewhere to try by the time the course starts.

Good luck with the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gilabbey Vets out in Glasheen by the UCC Park and Ride is another place. You could even walk to UCC and get the bus out for free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

there is a vet by mahon point. ITs onto the ispca building. You can get the number 10 bus from the city center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

Thanks for all the replies. I will send off my cv to all those places in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Yeah. I read something about the vet near Mahon Point on the internet. Was impressed. It's next to the CSPCA, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Gilabbey Vets are second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

The guys in Riverside in Carrigaline saved my cats life last week.

Thought i'd give them a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Sunbeam Vets in Blackpool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sunbeam Vets in Blackpool

Now why there??? ;)

As Munster Gal says or Gilabbey Vets, Gilabbey Vets are the vets for Fota Wildlife Park and have lots of experience.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Goolds vet clinic, what a fab service,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭dogbert27

As some have said Gilabbey vets are one of the best (if not the best) in Cork. The experience you will gain there from the staff will be invaluable if you see this as your life's career.

They are in Togher and about a 30-40 minute walk from St John's College.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

Gilabbey Vets are second to none.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Now why there??? ;)

As Munster Gal says or Gilabbey Vets, Gilabbey Vets are the vets for Fota Wildlife Park and have lots of experience.

MC

I have to come clean, a relative of mine used to work there but has since left to work in a practice nearer to home. I still use them as my vet which is why I'm happy to recommend them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

I have to come clean, a relative of mine used to work there but has since left to work in a practice nearer to home. I still use them as my vet which is why I'm happy to recommend them!

Honesty is the best policy :P

They are a good vet practice too, recommended for the op to apply to them

Cheers for the tomato plants btw, yum yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mags 55

Ive been taking my pets to Gilabbey Veterinary Hospital for years and can not praise them enough. I often see veterinary students in their and my own niece did a couple of weeks with them in the Summer and couldnt praise them enough. Some of the qualified veterinary nurses- like Gus and Mairead have worked there for years and are both excellent. In fact Mairead will always come out to say hello to us and always knows all my pets names. Nothing is ever too much trouble for her.
    The vets are also excellent and have a wealth of experience. I always feel comfortable leaving my pets with them

Good luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Always went to the one at the Fingerpost in Douglas and found them very good. I think my sister did a week of work experience there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

they are good vets and they might give work experience to trainees but they can charge! your animal might make a full recovery but your wallet wont :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

pinkstars wrote: »
    Goolds vet clinic, what a fab service,

Is that the guy at Mahon Point? If yes I know from his previous location that he wouldn't put kittens or puppies to sleep if they were unwanted. He re-homed them. Lovely guy.

omerin wrote: »
    they are good vets and they might give work experience to trainees but they can charge! your animal might make a full recovery but your wallet wont :(

True, that's why you need pet insurance. Then everyone's happy, vet and owner:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Ive been bringing my husky puppy to Goold in mahon point too, he's a lovely man and id be very happy to recommend him.

He's very funny, I told him my sister gives her dog garlic capsules to keep fleas at bay, and does he recommend it, and he said yes, if they're French fleas!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I passed a place on my way to the train station last week that appeared to sell pet related items. I am not a hundred percent certain but I think there was a Vet there. It is about two doors down from the Train Station on the City side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gyps

No, there is no vet in pet store mentioned above :). Anyway, I want to find out some details on vet in mahon. Is it run by volunteers? That's what I heard. Anyone would have number or adress? I have a very very old hamster, and I kind of feel that letting hin free is not the way to deal with his kidney infection :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Gyps wrote: »
    No, there is no vet in pet store mentioned above :). Anyway, I want to find out some details on vet in mahon. Is it run by volunteers? That's what I heard. Anyone would have number or adress? I have a very very old hamster, and I kind of feel that letting hin free is not the way to deal with his kidney infection :).

Vets are never free, there's an animals home in Mahon as far as I know but that would be separate to Goold's vet clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

the goold vets and the cspca are not connected in any way as far as I can tell.

Advertisement