If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing my speakers.......5.1 - > 2

Options
  • 22-08-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi John,

I am replacing my speakers and could do with your recommendation please.

I have a Onyko 605 (from RS thank you) and KEF 3005SE and front stands. I am most likely selling the KEFs as we have just had a new arrival and he will no doubt destroy them in no time.

As a replacement can you outline a pair of sturdy, decent speakers that you can supply. 2 speakers no sub, mainly for music use and rare movie use. Most likely not stand mounted, maybe something I can leave on the floor, I know not ideal, like BR1s or RS1s - I only have a 605 so would need your input.

Thanks,
    MAJJ

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi John,

I am replacing my speakers and could do with your recommendation please.

I have a Onyko 605 (from RS thank you) and KEF 3005SE and front stands. I am most likely selling the KEFs as we have just had a new arrival and he will no doubt destroy them in no time.

As a replacement can you outline a pair of sturdy, decent speakers that you can supply. 2 speakers no sub, mainly for music use and rare movie use. Most likely not stand mounted, maybe something I can leave on the floor, I know not ideal, like BR1s or RS1s - I only have a 605 so would need your input.

Thanks,
    MAJJ

Majj,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you..

1st off I'm sure you will get great money for your 3005 system over on Adverts.ie or I'm sure there are a few Boardies here who would snaffle them off you for decent money - now onto the serious stuff - If at all possible if you are looking at bookshelf speakers you should try to keep them off the floor - you would be FAR better off going for a reasonably priced pair of floorstanders rather than expensive (RS1) bookshelves and leaving them on the floor.

If you wanted a couple of pointers:

Kef IQ5 - £299.95

Monitor Audio BR5 - £369.95

Or if you need to keep the budget tight:

TDL Saturn 10 - £149.95

Keep me posted if any of these are interesting or if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi John,

Thanks for that, as always the honest upfront answer is appreciated.

Will get back to you when the KEFs are gone.

Keep me in mind if you trip over some open boxes, returns or demo items.

Cheers,
    MAJJ

Hi John,

Thanks for that, as always the honest upfront answer is appreciated.

Will get back to you when the KEFs are gone.

Keep me in mind if you trip over some open boxes, returns or demo items.

Cheers,
    MAJJ

No problem and thanks for the post,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John, any chance there is a set of these in the Phillips shop I could listen to on an Onkyo 6xx amp? Am running a 605. There was another poster today enquiring too in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055667973

Can you PM that yummy price too even demo or open box. Not sure on the finish yet.

Hi John, any chance there is a set of these in the Phillips shop I could listen to on an Onkyo 6xx amp? Am running a 605. There was another poster today enquiring too in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055667973

Can you PM that yummy price too even demo or open box. Not sure on the finish yet.

Majj,

1st off I need my 50% commission on that 3005 sale..............or no deal...

:D:D:D

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Majj,

Ok I take it that from you silence that I'll have to reduce my commission demand for the sale of your 3005 to 49% :D:D:D

I've PM'd you re the BR5 and there is no problem we can get you a set down to The Philips Shop to have a blast of - they have an Onkyo 876 set up there or you can bring in your own 605/6 and you and Ash can have an Anorak session (Ash is the worlds worst tweaker!)

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

Hi John,

3005SE's I'll have you know :) Actually never meant to pimp them in the RS forum it dawned on me after that it was a bit off, so yes you have earned your commission and an apology.

Hang on you've had so much business from my family, friends, colleagues, people in the street that I recommend you too, I think I should start charging you :):)

Great to have that set up in the Phillips shop, sent you a PM and will chat with Ash when all is arranged.

Thanks always a pleasure,
    MAJJ

Hi John,

Any word on the BR5s that you mentioned? Are they available and when will they with Ash?

Will be speakerless from Friday, although that mightn't be a problem - at the moment silence is rare but golden :)

Cheers,
    MAJJ

Hi John,

Any word on the BR5s that you mentioned? Are they available and when will they with Ash?

Will be speakerless from Friday, although that mightn't be a problem - at the moment silence is rare but golden :)

Cheers,
    MAJJ

Majj,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - too buys giving away free stuff to Boardies!

Anyway - yep there is one pair of BR5 ex-repair - that I have reserved for you.

They are Cherry and generally in good condition and both tweeters have been replaced by our own Matt in Belfast and they have been fully tested and will come with a 2 year warranty.

I've looked at the price again and I can do them at just £249.95 (reduced from £399) for you and I can probably get them into Ash for you for Saturday.

ATB,

John Mc

Hi John,

He he - saw that free thread spiralling! Boardies do love a FREE deal, funny how many first time posters in this forum found out so quickly!

That BR5 offer sounds very good, never seen them in the flesh or heard them so will demo with Ash.

I'll ring Ash and leave contact details and that way I can deal direct with the Philiips shop and leave you to work up more great deals for the rest :)

Thanks,
    MAJJ
    johnmc wrote: »
    Majj,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - too buys giving away free stuff to Boardies!

Anyway - yep there is one pair of BR5 ex-repair - that I have reserved for you.

They are Cherry and generally in good condition and both tweeters have been replaced by our own Matt in Belfast and they have been fully tested and will come with a 2 year warranty.

I've looked at the price again and I can do them at just £249.95 (reduced from £399) for you and I can probably get them into Ash for you for Saturday.

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Ash/John - any sign of these?

I know I know I am very impatient, just got a silent amp and lonely cables looking for a home :)

If they haven't left would you be willing to send them direct to me? Assuming all costs paid in advance.

On that basis if they are not what I expect can I return them to Ash?

I am suggesting this approach I will not get in to Ash until next w/e and will end up having to get them in a taxi back anyway as parking is brutal in town!

Ash, you have my number so call me to discuss when your back in on Monday.

Thanks,
    MAJJ

Majj,

apologies - you completely fell between the cracks :o

I will collect them personally and get them into The Philips Shop for Thursday (possibly Wednesday) latest ( I cannot ship them direct as we don't have boxes for them as they are on dem)

Would this be OK?

Apologies again,

ATB,
    J

Keep me posted and apologies for the delay in egtting back to you
    Ash/John - any sign of these?

I know I know I am very impatient, just got a silent amp and lonely cables looking for a home :)

If they haven't left would you be willing to send them direct to me? Assuming all costs paid in advance.

On that basis if they are not what I expect can I return them to Ash?

I am suggesting this approach I will not get in to Ash until next w/e and will end up having to get them in a taxi back anyway as parking is brutal in town!

Ash, you have my number so call me to discuss when your back in on Monday.

Thanks,
    MAJJ

Hi John,

That's no problem. You are worth waiting for :) No panic as I won't get in to Ash until the w/e.

Just confirm with me when they are in.

Thanks,
    MAJJ

Hi John/Kenny/Ash/Fergal,

Just thought I would give some feedback for you and others. I demo'd bought and loved them. John gave me a great deal, Ash was in touch to notify me and Fergal and co. looked after me very well including carrying them out to the car for me.

There was a litlle chasing involved and I followed up on some parts/grilles etc that I expected to come with the speakers. John and Kenny followed up and sent them straight to me and exceeded my expectations.

The grilles soften the look of the speakers and make them fit in better.

A big thank you from a grateful customer.

I'll be back for more no doubt. I don't have a blu ray yet, so when my Phillips DVD player croaks I'll be back to plague you for a another great deal.
    MAJJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.