Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which drill?

Options
  • 22-08-2009 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Could someone give me some advise on which drill I should buy. They seem to vary in price from about €15 to €200. It would only be used very occassionally for home DIY but if I'm investing at all I might as get a half decent one that will last.

I just had a quick look at whats available and I think I would like the following specs:
    Cordless:
    Variable speeds:
    Reverse function:
    Hammer action:
    Anything else I should consider here?

Is there much difference between brand names?

I would appreciate if anyone could recommend a reasonably priced model.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Cordless drills are excellent look out for li ion batts better than nicad. I found that BQ had some excellent prices on Dewalt and makita recently.

Cheap cordlesses are a waste of money, takes ages to recharge batts, not much power , too heavy etc . Stick to the big makes Dewalt and makita etc

For a masonry drill unless u pay big bucks you u should stick to corded. Keyless chuck is important

One thing to look out for on a cordless, is a small built in light, v handy for working in a tight space, kitch cabs etc

Impact drills are the next level up to a cordless, smaller lighter and v v powerful (power is measured in nm/torqe)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Ryobi or AEG 24v. cordless good allrounders for about €220

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

GB15 wrote: »
    Could someone give me some advise on which drill I should buy. They seem to vary in price from about €15 to €200. It would only be used very occassionally for home DIY but if I'm investing at all I might as get a half decent one that will last.

I just had a quick look at whats available and I think I would like the following specs:
    Cordless:
    Variable speeds:
    Reverse function:
    Hammer action:
    Anything else I should consider here?

Is there much difference between brand names?

I would appreciate if anyone could recommend a reasonably priced model.
    Cheers
    Hammer action and cordless dont really go togeather unless you pay big for a Hilty. I have a Ryobi 18 volt cordless that I use for work and its the best value drill that Iv ever owned, 150 euros for drill two battaries and a charger ( I did not have to pay any v.a.t) and its still going strong after two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BMWKTM

If I am not too late submitting this B&Q appear to have good value at the moment with a 18 V cordless Dewalt for €124. 13mm keyless chuck and two batteries however they are only the 1.3 Ah hr. ones whereas they also do 2.0 and 3.0 ones which apparently dont need charging as often but I'm no expert on the battery side of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

As o.a.p said about cordless and hammer action..I'd second that.
    But if you buy one of the hilti's...they are to big and bulky.
    I'd suggest buy a cordless and then buy a seperate hammer drill and make sure it's an SDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I think we're all in agreement here: buy a mid range cordless drill/ driver (say 12/ 14 volt) then a decent mains SDS rotary drill for work in masonry. Ryobi are at the lower end of the "trade rated" tool range; if you do a little shopping around you may be able to pick up a cordless and mains drill from Makita/ Bosch or (maybe) Dewalt for just under €250 for the pair. If you invest this amount you'll have tools that will last you a lifetime for undemanding DIY. I think DeWalt tend to be over priced myself. I've bought both Makita and Bosch online from Axminster and Tooled up and found far better value than any retailer in this country. For battery life and performance you can't beat the offerings from Makita/ Bosch/ Dewalt etc.

Advertisement