Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green tree monitors

Options
  • 22-08-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Any reptile fanatic worth his salt should be aware that reptile haven has 2 Dwarf green tree monitors and 1 even rarer Dwarf Blue tree monitor on display. Its the equivalent of a Bengal tiger in rarity. I saw it the them the other day and my jaw hit the floor. Oh and they also have a Beaded Lizard, these animals are not for sale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

How did they get them? Were they imported illegally?

If they are not for sale than what is the point of having them in a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Tut Tut, of course not, Or I would not have posted them.

All cites forms are present. Its all legal. Ben would never import illegally, Probably got them from the breeders in Germany or the Netherlands through the Ham reptile trade festival, they sell them but there is a long waiting list. They are all CB. They are on display, the blue is for sale, but only to an experienced customer and herper. The greens are not, they are bens pets. The beaded lizard is not as Its highly dangerous. Its behind lock and key. Any herper will tell you that Reptile havan is not the type of establishment to mess around when it comes to Cites listed animals. Ben is fully licenced to keep, sell and import any species of reptile, as long as cites certs are present where required. They also have a Woma, a rarely seen primitive snake that any snake fan would love to see. As I said even though Blue tree monitor is for sale, it is only to someone trusted and known to the shop to be an experienced and responsible keeper.

The reason he keeps them in the shop is to educate.

For those who are curious this is a green tree monitor -Varanus prasinus
    DSCN4649.jpg

This is a blue tree monitor - Varanus macraei
    macrae13sml.jpg

This is a Woma python- Aspidites ramsayi
    Willy10.jpg

And this is a Beaded lizard - Heloderma horridum
    IMG_6432ax900.jpg

These pics are not of the animals in reptile havan, they are from photobucket searches.
    If I had the money I would buy that Blue tree monitor tomorrow! Its absolutley amazing, I've always wanted to keep some of the dwarf species of Varanus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Richard Till

Hi

I am an experienced herper and I am very interested in the blue tree monitor being discussed can anybody tell me how to contact the owner and/or point me to anyone else that has any available.

My email is *snip*
    Many thanks

Richard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

I've emailed ya Richard but I dont think your allowed post email address's
    regards
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Ben's planning on breeding the beaded lizards for the European market. He said he won't sell anything that's on the UK DWA list to the Irish market.

Reptile Haven can be found on Fishamble Street in Dublin (the street is one of the street's that Christchurch cathedral is on)

Their phone number is 01 670 4001

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im loving that Woma python.Always been interested in the Aussie pythons.

I think Im going to restart my collection with Aussies when I get the time and room.

Excellent article on them here :

http://www.kingsnake.com/oz/snakes/pythons/pythons.htm

Advertisement