Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Head Unit Wiring

• 22-08-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

I bought a new JVC head unit to go into my Seat Leon. Everything is working fine except there is no sound :( .

Any ideas??

NOTE: Tried swappping red cable with yellow and still no sound!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Everything is working fine except there is no sound :( .

Ah now how can everything be fine then?

So it's getting power but no sound? Have you gone through all of the settings on the HU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭EasyFold

Model number of the HU will help...

On some other makes the yellow is only the remote (switch) for additional components like amps, eq's etc..

Are you using the radio high power outputs directly onto speakers or are you going through a amplifier?
    I bought a new JVC head unit to go into my Seat Leon. Everything is working fine except there is no sound :( .

Any ideas??

NOTE: Tried swappping red cable with yellow and still no sound!:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What connectors did you connect to it? There should be two ISO connectors, a black and a brown one usually, they both need to be connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Onkle wrote: »
    So it's getting power but no sound? Have you gone through all of the settings on the HU?
    Yes.
    EasyFold wrote: »
    Model number of the HU will help...
    The Model number is KD-R301 . http://jvcmobile.co.uk/product.php?pr=169
    EasyFold wrote: »
    Are you using the radio high power outputs directly onto speakers or are you going through a amplifier?
    Directly to the speakers. There is no aftermarket parts installed except for this new headunit.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    What connectors did you connect to it? There should be two ISO connectors, a black and a brown one usually, they both need to be connected.
    Both are connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

this is for the ibiza but i reakon it could help with your leon
    http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107740&highlight=stereo+mk2+ibiza
    http://www.nexxia.co.uk/car_stereo_fitting_kits/images/PC2-75-4.jpg
    best of luck have you got a multimetre??

• Advertisement

this is for the ibiza but i reakon it could help with your leon
    http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107740&highlight=stereo+mk2+ibiza
    http://www.nexxia.co.uk/car_stereo_fitting_kits/images/PC2-75-4.jpg
    best of luck have you got a multimetre??
    Yeah I've looked up seatcupra.net already, the common issue with replacing a head unit in Seats is that they often forget the time and FM presets when the engine tunrs off, which is why Red and Yellow need to be swpped over. The instruction set for the JVC headunit also states that this may be required.

*bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 seataltea

Hey OP, what year is your Leon? Is it the new model or the old model?

seataltea wrote: »
    Hey OP, what year is your Leon? Is it the new model or the old model?
    Old model, mk1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is yellow not the mute?

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is yellow not the mute?
    It would be gas if it was, and that's why there was no sound!

ANy other thoughts, anyone?

How do I go about checkin if it's the speakers, or a short ciruit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yellow is normally continuous 12V iirc. If everything is connected via ISO then its pretty hard to make a mess of it. If there's power to the unit etc. then its possible the unit has a dud amp. Has happened to me before.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Yellow is normally continuous 12V iirc. If everything is connected via ISO then its pretty hard to make a mess of it. If there's power to the unit etc. then its possible the unit has a dud amp. Has happened to me before.
    Here is what I'm tlking about when I swapped the yello and the red. Also, I've tried every configuration on this page, they all don't seem to work!

2j3r33l.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

If you put a cd into it - does it appear to play?

Does the power behave as it should, ie continuous 12V keeping your stations and time when the car is off and powering the unit when the key is turned to ACC? If so then you're wasting your time as that diagram has nothing to do with getting sound from it.

Does the power behave as it should, ie continuous 12V keeping your stations and time when the car is off and powering the unit when the key is turned to ACC? If so then you're wasting your time as that diagram has nothing to do with getting sound from it.
    Yes, I am aware of that.

leex wrote: »
    If you put a cd into it - does it appear to play?
    Yup, it seems like everything is working fine. Lights up. Tuner is working, CD player spins, just no sound!

I'd be fairly sure the amp is busto.

• Advertisement

I'd be fairly sure the amp is busto.
    In the HU?

Yup. Did you retry the factory stereo since? If it works, then by process of elimination that all it can be.

Yup. Did you retry the factory stereo since? If it works, then by process of elimination that all it can be.
    Well that's why i got the new HU in the first place, tI had no sound from the speakers!

Oh well can that suggestion so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

so its the speakers then ??
    afaik the back speakers are easiest to get to so check the wires aren't out of the speakers
    if there still in the sockets then replace the speakers

so its the speakers then ??
    afaik the back speakers are easiest to get to so check the wires aren't out of the speakers
    if there still in the sockets then replace the speakers
    Yeah, I have a mulitmeter, can i check the current at the ISO connection form the car's wiring loom, or will i have to test each speaker?

Test each speaker wire coming from the back of the ISO. Each wire should have a few hundred mA flowing through it when there the head unit is outputting something. Each speaker is on its on loop so there's no reason why all 4 should die at once.

Test each speaker wire coming from the back of the ISO. Each wire should have a few hundred mA flowing through it when there the head unit is outputting something. Each speaker is on its on loop so there's no reason why all 4 should die at once.
    A short somewhere, maybe?

But if there was a short it would only affect one speaker as they're on 4 different circuits.

• Advertisement

But if there was a short it would only affect one speaker as they're on 4 different circuits.
    across all four i mean?

I don't see how thats possible. If you look at the diagram, there's no wire that could be shorted which would affect all 4 speakers

audio_wiring.jpg

I don't see how thats possible. If you look at the diagram, there's no wire that could be shorted which would affect all 4 speakers

audio_wiring.jpg
    Right hmmm..... So I should have some sound, from somewhere! How could i have bough a new HU with a dodgy amp? Assuming the amp is fine in the new one, and the speakers are fine, what else could it be?

Advertisement