Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train commuters,what you going to do? (Merged with Commuter Hell thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Nodster wrote: »
    The point I was making was that I've been travelling home around the same time each evening and it had been just one person who's made this request [to stop at Balrothery] and nowhere else
    Obviously the rest of the the passengers understand the meaning of a point to point service, still you'll always get your fair share of fools on any bus journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Bluetonic wrote: »
    still you'll always get your fair share of fools on any bus journey.
    What exactly do you mean by that? Is this a reference to other posters in this thread? HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

Well so far I've asked the bus driver when getting ON the bus if he is stopping at the bus stop opposite the church. They have all said yes and in fact one of them told me they've all been told to stop there. However I have heard from some other commuters there are a few drivers who are refusing to stop. The traffic into Balbriggan was very heavy last night and at least half the people on the bus alighted at the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 urbeau

Irish Rail have been quite good at publicising the contingency services but little or no information concerning what is going on to get the viaduct fixed. The website does not have a dicky bird on the subject yet they issued the following communication to the media last Friday

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking49.htm

Staggered that they did not publish on the website as I would assume that most commuters are primarily concerned with when this nonsense with buses is going to come to an end.

The good news appears to be that work on the repair has already started and the 3 months is still regarded as sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Well they have repeatedly said that they estimate the work will take at least 3 months, and this is stated in the opening paragraph of the notice on the website. I suspect that if that estimate changes that they will advise people through the website and other outlets.

I guess that the main concern for most passengers is the immediate problem - i.e. what are the alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 urbeau

KC61 wrote: »
    Well they have repeatedly said that they estimate the work will take at least 3 months, and this is stated in the opening paragraph of the notice on the website. I suspect that if that estimate changes that they will advise people through the website and other outlets.

I guess that the main concern for most passengers is the immediate problem - i.e. what are the alternatives.

Irish Rail may have been quoting 3 months left, right and centre but most folks feel this is just finger in the air and not based on any assessment of what needs to be done to put things right.

Also Irish Rail have a very poor reputation when it comes to managing projects. In particular they are terrible at keeping the customer posted and most things they do have slipped well beyond original estimates.

I have been travelling on the line for 14 years and experienced their mismanagement of several projects including the Connolly upgrade, capacity increases and even simple ones like new bridge at Laytown (quoted 6 months, took 14, trivial job and no communication at any time during the build to say how it was progressing).

The best news for me was that the repair was in progress and that they were doing it themselves. I had been living in fear and dread that they would have to explore options, go to tender, counter environmental impact campaigners etc. and that we would be in 2011 or worse before the viaduct went back into service.

Regarding alternatives, and I presume you mean while the viaduct is down, it looks like the contingency measures are working well for folks from Balbriggan, Laytown, Gormanstown and Drogheda but not so well for Dundalk/Belfast (buses not connecting well with trains) and Skerries/Rush/Lush/Donabate (33 bus a nightmare/capacity issues).

We need to make sure that Irish Rail are hassled through the 3 months to keep us posted on how the thing is progressing and not to let them off the hook. I would imagine that the loss of revenue from folk getting refunds and the mega bucks they are spending on buses will help our situation also.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by that?
    I'm not sure what part of my comment is unclear? :confused: Did you try reading it a few times?
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    Is this a reference to other posters in this thread? HB
    To answer your question honestly, I can't definitively say whether the lady passenger who asked the bus to stop in Balrothery is a poster in this thread or not. So it not a direct reference to the lady in question but it may turn out to be an indirect reference should she have posted on this thread previously or should she post on this thread in the future. In either case its something which is out of my control.

BT

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If you start stopping for every Tom, Dick and Harry then where do you draw the line.

I don't see what the problem is, it's a point to point bus service and advertised as such. No exceptions. The bus driver has a job to do and a schedule to keep.

Well first of all its not every Tom, Dick and Harry. As I posted earlier on this thread, I was told by the Revenue Protection lads that the busses should stop at Balrothery, the Church and the Train Station. Use your noodle on this one Bluetonic, the advantages of doing things this way include:

1. People who live in Balrothery won't have to drive/walk back from the station, creating obvious benefits for the environment.

2. Same for people who followed IE's advice to park at the Church.

3. Less people may park at the station, resulting in less traffic on the streets of the town.

Finally, its not as if the bus is diverting to the Naul or anything. If you stay on the bus to the station, I can't see how letting people off at Balrothery or the Church will delay you for any more than two minutes.

Although maybe I'm biased because I live in Balrothery. :o

pithater1 wrote: »
    1. People who live in Balrothery won't have to drive/walk back from the station, creating obvious benefits for the environment.

3. Less people may park at the station, resulting in less traffic on the streets of the town.
    Good points but the less people that have to drive to the station the less car parking fees are taken in ;)

All joking aside some of the buses have to get back into town to operate another run. You should probably count yourself luck that some buses stop and the drivers aren't coming in The Naul road and in via the new Stephenstown link road to prevent anyone from asking.

Good points but the less people that have to drive to the station the less car parking fees are taken in ;)

All joking aside some of the buses have to get back into town to operate another run. You should probably count yourself luck that some buses stop and the drivers aren't coming in The Naul road and in via the new Stephenstown link road to prevent anyone from asking.

I thought all the cash from the car park went to a seperate company?

I don't think two minutes will make much of a difference to the busses heading back into town, do you?

• Advertisement

I thought all the cash from the car park went to a seperate company?
    I said it tongue in cheek but it would not surprise me if there was a clause in the contract to say that a certain amount of money is guaranteed each day, subsidised by CIE if not achieved.
    I don't think two minutes will make much of a difference to the busses heading back into town, do you?
    The problem well you stopped at Balrothery so why won't you stop here there or everywhere, the next day someone is getting aggressive on the bus as the driver won't stop The Bog Of The Ring for example. The driver just wants to do his job without getting grief. There are three bus stops in Balrothery as it is, where do you stop?

The problem well you stopped at Balrothery so why won't you stop here there or everywhere, the next day someone is getting aggressive on the bus as the driver won't stop The Bog Of The Ring for example. The driver just wants to do his job without getting grief. There are three bus stops in Balrothery as it is, where do you stop?

Well as I said before I was told by IE staff that the bus should stop at the bus stops opposite the Balrothery Inn and the Church. I can only assume that this is because both of these stops have a shelter, a pedestrian crossing and have an area for the bus to pull in out of the traffic. This is probably for insurance reasons. For that reason I can't see the bus stopping at Bog of the Ring for example.

Well as I said before I was told by IE staff that the bus should stop at the bus stops opposite the Balrothery Inn and the Church. I can only assume that this is because both of these stops have a shelter, a pedestrian crossing and have an area for the bus to pull in out of the traffic. This is probably for insurance reasons. For that reason I can't see the bus stopping at Bog of the Ring for example.
    I doubt that to be honest, if insurance was the issue then Bus Eireann buses would have issues stopping there surely?

I hope you can see my point anyhow. I pity the poor (or maybe not so poor with all this extra work) bus drivers with the potential abuse waiting for them when they tell a passenger they can't let them off!

I doubt that to be honest, if insurance was the issue then Bus Eireann buses would have issues stopping there surely?

I hope you can see my point anyhow. I pity the poor (or maybe not so poor with all this extra work) bus drivers with the potential abuse waiting for them when they tell a passenger they can't let them off!

I can see your point alright, to be honest, it just does seem a bit rediculous to be on a bus being forced to see your house or parked car, fly past you and then have a half hour walk back. Sometimes a little common sense should be used y'know.

I can see your point alright, to be honest, it just does seem a bit rediculous to be on a bus being forced to see your house or parked car, fly past you and then have a half hour walk back. Sometimes a little common sense should be used y'know.
    I'm sure there are reasons, be that instructions, pig headiness or something else why they've not been stopping.

Can't wait to see the complaints when the trains are back - those complaints being the increased commuting time to work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

For those who aren't familiar with private transport operators-

The only buses permitted to use "official" bus stops are those owned by CIE (Bus Eireann & Dublin Bus). Even buses contracted to CIE aren't technically allowed to use bus stops and can be fined for using public transport stops.

Extra drop offs and collection points are at the discretion of the driver as the private companies are only contracted to pick up from A & drop to B. There is a cost and time element associated with the extras. When the new bus contracts for the replacement service are agreed (CIE I think will have these signed by September 16) there will probably be a lesser amount on the contract and the drivers will be less inclined to accommodate passengers.

If I lived in Balrothery I'd be hoping to get dropped off at the church as well tbh.

Did anyone get a flyer in the door from this crowd in the past few days btw? http://www.bluestarcoachhiredublin.com/ Says it will be €5 one way & €8 return with the times to suit the majority of passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Eoineo wrote: »
    The only buses permitted to use "official" bus stops are those owned by CIE (Bus Eireann & Dublin Bus). Even buses contracted to CIE aren't technically allowed to use bus stops and can be fined for using public transport stops.

As Victor Meldrew ses I don't believe it. How are passengers on private coaches contracted to BÉ able to get off the busses that stop at towns all over Ireland every day of the week if not at official bus stops?

Have you a link to legislation or a published contract that ses private busses can't stop at CIE bus stops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 dotts1977

As a previous poster said, those who want the bus to stop at Balrothery are lucky the bus doesn't use the Naul Road whereby it wouldn't stop. The bus starts at the train station so therefore those in Balrothery or parked at the church have to get to the station in the first instance....In my opinion, the bus is to replace the train and on any day the train was running, it never stopped at balrothery.....why the gripe now?:confused:

As Victor Meldrew ses I don't believe it. How are passengers on private coaches contracted to BÉ able to get off the busses that stop at towns all over Ireland every day of the week if not at official bus stops?

Have you a link to legislation or a published contract that ses private busses can't stop at CIE bus stops?

If a bus is contracted to Bus Eireann then it is for the purposes of legislation operating a Bus Eireann service and as such is deemed to be a Bus Eireann bus whilst doing so.

dotts1977 wrote: »
    As a previous poster said, those who want the bus to stop at Balrothery are lucky the bus doesn't use the Naul Road whereby it wouldn't stop. The bus starts at the train station so therefore those in Balrothery or parked at the church have to get to the station in the first instance....In my opinion, the bus is to replace the train and on any day the train was running, it never stopped at balrothery.....why the gripe now?:confused:

Possibly because the train line does not go past Balrothery.:confused:

Seriously, what is with some people's problem with the bus letting people off at Balrothery??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Little help, If i have to be in town (southside) for 8AM, would standing at at kellys garage (Lusk) bus stop at 7AM be early enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

ragg wrote: »
    Little help, If i have to be in town (southside) for 8AM, would standing at at kellys garage (Lusk) bus stop at 7AM be early enough??
    That's where I get my bus from and if you get a bus at that time(I normally go out at about 7.30am), you'll easily be in the city centre before 7.45am

dcr22B wrote: »
    That's where I get my bus from and if you get a bus at that time(I normally go out at about 7.30am), you'll easily be in the city centre before 7.45am

Town in 15 minutes :confused:

Can't be right surely, if it is, im never getting the train again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

ragg wrote: »
    Town in 15 minutes :confused:

Can't be right surely, if it is, im never getting the train again :eek:
    No, if you read the post again, if you're out there for 7am then you'll be in town for 7.45am (assuming you'll be on the first bus that comes along).

Sorry, I re read again and seen what you meant.

Can't complain really, was on the bus just after 7 and in town just after 7:35.

Whats the deal with the journeys home? How long are they taking? is it hard to get on a bus around half 4 quarter to 5 time?

Route 33d – Donabate Train Station to Tara Street DART Station
    This service will operate Monday to Friday from Donabate to Tara Street DART Station via the M1 and the Port Tunnel.

From Donabate Train Station
    07:10, 07:30, 07:50, 08:10,
    08:30, 09:20, 09:40, 10:10,
    16:00.

From Custom House Quay
    08:20, 08:40, 09:00, 15:00,
    17:00, 17:20, 17:40, 18:00.

For passengers wishing to travel to Donabate and Portrane late at night there is a 23:45 departure on the 33b from Swords Village. Please allow for sufficient time to connect with this bus.

Shuttle Service – Donabate Station – Malahide DART Station
    From 06.45hrs until 19.55hrs a shuttle bus service will operate between Donabate Station and Malahide DART Station.

The last shuttle service from Donabate to Malahide will depart at 19.55hrs.

The last shuttle service from Malahide to Donabate will depart at 19:30hrs

School Services
    A school service at 08:00 will operate from Donabate to Malahide and Portmarnock Community Schools and will return after school hours.

Change to Evening Peak services and off-peak times.

33x Skerries/Rush & Lusk
    Additional 33x services will operate Monday to Friday from Mourne View, Skerries via the M1 and the Port Tunnel to Tara Street DART Station. Return journeys will depart from Custom House Quay.

Monday to Friday
    From Mourne View (Skerries, via Rush & Lusk) to Tara St. DART Station
    From 06:30hrs up to 09:00hrs buses will operate every 10 minutes. 33x will then operate at 10:00hrs, 12:20hrs, 14:20hrs and 16:20hrs.

From Custom House Quay to Skerries/Rush & Lusk
    11:00hrs, 12:30hrs, 13:00hrs and 15:00hrs. From 16:00hrs services will operate every 10 minutes to 17:50hrs and then at 18:05hrs, 18:25hrs, 18:40hrs and 19:00hrs.

Saturday
    From Skerries Train Station via Rush & Lusk to Tara St. DART Station

07:00, 08:00, 09:00, 10:00
    11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 16:00
    18:00, 20:00.

05:40, 06:40, 07:40, 08:40
    09:40, 10:40, 12:40, 14:40,
    16:40, 18:40.

Sunday
    From Skerries Train Station via Rush & Lusk to Tara St. DART Station

09:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30
    14:30, 16:30, 18:30, 20:30.

08:10, 09:10, 10:10, 11:10,
    13:10, 15:10, 17:10, 19:10.

Regular Route 33 services will operate as per the normal 33 timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I cycled in today. First time using a decent bike (not mine, borrowed) so there was a learning curve. Took me 1 hour and 40 minutes from Skerries. Really enjoyed it to be honest. Took my time. Didn't overdo it. I'd say the journey home will be closer to 1 hour 20 minutes.

I think i'd love the cycle, would only take maybe 20 minutes longer.

The only issue is that i would hate it once I hit traffic in town

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Khannie wrote: »
    I cycled in today. First time using a decent bike (not mine, borrowed) so there was a learning curve. Took me 1 hour and 40 minutes from Skerries. Really enjoyed it to be honest. Took my time. Didn't overdo it. I'd say the journey home will be closer to 1 hour 20 minutes.
    You'll have the wind behind you this evening (it was a headwind this morning, which makes a big difference)

Tomorrow will be fun - 40km headwind and heavy rain going into town = World record attempt going home tomorrow evening (although the wind will have dropped a bit by then)!

Advertisement