Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train commuters,what you going to do? (Merged with Commuter Hell thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Hauk wrote: »
    Traffic was at a crawl this morning. :(
    Not if you went the way that I did, flowed pretty well for me until I got to Ballymun. I know it took me 1h 15 minutes but that included a stop for petrol at Lissenhall.

And no, I sure as hell am not giving my route away! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 urbeau

thereturn wrote: »
    Hi there! How are people commuting from Laytown? The Irish Rail website seems to suggest getting the train to Drogheda and getting the bus from there. Is it better to do this or to go to Balbriggan and get a bus from there? Also I notice the carpark in laytown is quite empty, are people driving to Balbriggan/Drogheda rather than train? I've been off work since the bridge collapse and am back next week, so I'm trying to plan the best route! I'd really appreciate any suggestions/advice.
    Thanks a million!

I am commuting from Laytown. The bridge fell on the Friday of my last week of holidays so I had a lot of anxiety knowing that my first day back could be carnage.

The good news for you is that the contingency arrangements have worked brilliantly since day one for those coming from Drog/Laytown/Balbriggan and indeed the journey in many cases beats the train!

For the first few days of the new operation I drove to Laytown, got a train to Drog and bus to Connolly. Worked well, getting in quicker than train most times and only real hassle was that it felt weird to go North in order to get somewhere South and the roadworks in Drog on the N1 which were losing us 10-15 mins at peak times.

When they increased the frequency of trains to Balbriggan and buses from Balbriggan I switched to that route and have been doing that since about the Thursday of the first week of new operation.

Trains from Laytown to Balbriggan take 7 minutes and bus can take as little as 28 mins (worst was this morning which took 46 minutes, but that was because of a vehicle crash I think). The only issues with the route are the frequency of trains from Balb to Laytown and the fact that there is no policy of trying to make buses link up with trains. As a result on both of last 2 days I have got into Balb on way home only to watch a train leave as I got into station grounds and then have to wait 30 mins to next one!

A few folks I know are driving to Balbriggan and getting bus from there. Bus service is great and whilst they indicate that they are every 30 mins the reality is that they just bring on the next bus and it goes when full so in effect there are buses leaving around every 10 mins from 7am to 8.45 ish. Parking is not an issue if you are prepared to walk a little. There is a large free car park opposite the church and you will get a space at any time in there. It is 800 metres walk from it back to the station so if walking is a problem then you may have an issue. Almost all other parking has to be paid for and unless you get in early there is very little available.

Hope this helps and dont worry about your commute as for once Irish Rail have done something right! Good news also today is that repairs are well under way and train service is expected to be back by end Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 urbeau

Hauk wrote: »
    Traffic was at a crawl this morning. :(

Due to a crash somewhere in the vicinity of Donabate exit apparently. I was around there around 7.25 and our bus lost about 15-20 mins over average journey time of last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

urbeau wrote: »
    Due to a crash somewhere in the vicinity of Donabate exit apparently. I was around there around 7.25 and our bus lost about 15-20 mins over average journey time of last few weeks.

Ah right. Cheers for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Traffic was bad alright this morning. A journey that normally takes me 55 mins by train took 2 hours this morning. Not sure about an accident at Donabate turnoff. I was on the 33X which only goes onto the M1 there. Traffic was queued back up the N1, then all the way down the slip. Crawled all the way to the airport, and then was pretty clear.
    Also more problems this evening. I initially thought the barriers had stopped working at the toll plaza of the Port Tunnel. Big queues. But when we got through I seen the displays indicating major delays on M1. I assume they kept the barriers down to prevent a backlog into the tunnel at the exit. Anyhow only added about another 10 mins onto the return journey.
    Hope things improve tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Today was fine from Skerries. 2 buses turned up at the same time which meant lots of seats for commuters in Rush and Lusk and cut down on the amount of stops for each bus.
    There was a crash/breakdown in Sheriff St so all routes were told to go up the quays. Happy days. Saved c.40mins on yesterday's journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

yknaa wrote: »
    There was a crash/breakdown in Sheriff St so all routes were told to go up the quays. Happy days. Saved c.40mins on yesterday's journey.
    The traffic on a Friday is the lightest of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Extra 33X services are now added at 0635, 0705 and 0735.

Saturday 33X services will now operate via Donabate.

33x Skerries/Rush & Lusk
    Additional 33x services will operate Monday to Friday from Mourne View, Skerries via the M1 and the Port Tunnel to Tara Street DART Station. Return journeys will depart from Custom House Quay.

Monday to Friday
    From Mourne View (Skerries, via Rush & Lusk) to Tara St. DART Station

06:30, 06:35, 06:40, 06:45, 06:50, 07:00, 07:05, 07:10,
    07:20, 07:30, 07:35, 07:40, 07:50, 08:00, 08:10, 08:20,
    08:30, 08:40, 08:50, 09:00.

Buses will then operate at 10:00hrs, 12:20hrs, 14:20hrs and 16:20hrs.

From Custom House Quay to Skerries/Rush & Lusk
    08:25hrs, 11:00hrs, 12:30hrs, 13:00hrs and 15:00hrs. From 16:00hrs services will operate every 10 minutes to 17:50hrs and then at 18:05hrs, 18:25hrs, 18:40hrs and 19:00hrs.

Saturday
    From Skerries Train Station via Rush, Lusk and Donabate Train Station to Tara St. DART Station
    07:00, 08:00, 09:00, 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 16:00. 18:00, 20:00.

From Custom House Quay to Donabate, Lusk, Rush and Skerries
    05:40, 06:40, 07:40, 08:40, 09:40, 10:40, 12:40, 14:40, 16:40, 18:40.

Sunday
    From Skerries Train Station via Rush & Lusk to Tara St. DART Station

09:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 14:30, 16:30, 18:30, 20:30.

From Custom House Quay to Skerries/Rush & Lusk
    08:10, 09:10, 10:10, 11:10, 13:10, 15:10, 17:10, 19:10.

Regular Route 33 services will operate as per the normal 33 timetable.

Route 33d – Donabate Train Station to Tara Street DART Station
    This service will operate Monday to Friday from Donabate to Tara Street DART Station via the M1 and the Port Tunnel.

From Donabate Train Station
    07:10, 07:30, 07:50, 08:10, 08:30, 09:20, 09:40, 10:10, 16:00.

From Custom House Quay
    07:50, 08:20, 08:40, 09:00, 15:00,17:00, 17:20, 17:40, 18:00.

Saturday
    From Donabate Train Station

See times above for 33x serving Donabate. Please allow 30 minutes for buses to leave Skerries and arrive in Donabate.

From Custom House Quay
    See times above for 33x serving Donabate. Please allow 25 minutes for buses to leave Custom House Quay and arrive in Donabate.

For passengers wishing to travel to Donabate and Portrane late at night there is a 23:45 departure on the 33b from Swords Village. Please allow for sufficient time to connect with this bus.

Shuttle Service – Donabate Station – Malahide DART Station
    From 06.45hrs until 19.55hrs a shuttle bus service will operate between Donabate Station and Malahide DART Station.

The last shuttle service from Donabate to Malahide will depart at 19.55hrs.

The last shuttle service from Malahide to Donabate will depart at 19:30hrs

School Services
    A school service at 08:00 will operate from Donabate to Malahide and Portmarnock Community Schools and will return after school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

Hey Folks

I'm just wondering is anyone getting the bus from Donabate Station to Malahide Station and then getting the train into town?? How long is it taking to do the entire journey from Donabate into the City?

I used to get the train from Donabate to Connolly and it was so quick getting into town. Now I'm getting the Dublin Bus 'Xpresso' and its grand in the morning but MY GOD getting home is painful. I'd love to get the train again.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

I just wish the 33X people could get their act in gear as to the destination. Even though the buses all generally have the same sign posted, some come out of the tunnel along the quays, some go behind IFSC and along Amiens St, and I even had one go along the canal last week. Some terminate at Tara and some go as far as St. Stephen's Green. But nobody seems to know which ones! Ridiculous. Driver got very mad at me this morning when I had the gall to ask if he was going to St. Stephen's Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

I know! Bus driver got quite cross with me this morning when I asked why he was going down Sherriff St instead of going down the quays, as it had done on Friday and Monday. He told me that Sherriff St was "the official route" and the only reason that the buses went down the Quays was because of an accident on Friday in the Sherriff St Area. When I asked about other days where the bus went down the Quays, he just repeated that the Sherriff St Route is the "Official Route".

Going along the Quays and then crossing at the bridge to Tara St station is by far the quickest route - I wish all the buses would go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Unshelved, that was true about the accident. Generally on the 6:30 from Skerries, they go up Shrrif st. and come out at North Strand.

My big problem was that when this whole thing started I decided to take the 17:35 33X from Stephens Green and while it was a bit slower, it was grand. Went through the Port Tunnel and I was happy. I took the same bus last Thursday and it went up through Drumcondra and outh the M1! Very surpriseing! Is this normal or did the driver make a mistake? I thought the 33X did the port tunnel!

Same bus driver into town the last two days, two entirely different routes!

Yesterday, turned right down East Wall Road and left at Annesley Bridge, down North Strand and then right up Buckingham Street (what the f**k is the story with that???).

Today, left after Port Tunnel and right at Sheriff Street onto Amiens Street via Connolly.

It's frustrating as I got off the bus this morning outside Stafford's old garage and then watched it continue onwards towards Connolly instead of right up Buckingham Street!

Tomorrow will probably be different again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 johndoe21

bus was late this morning coming to lusk. he wouldnt let anyone on (even though there was no one standing) then we hit M1 traffic, after the port tunnel he went up eastwall rd then turned right (not sure of street name)

had to wait 20 mins for Dart in connolly. i sent a stinker of a mail to Dublin bus and would advise everyone to start airing their grievances again.

BAC Public Affairs mediapr@dublinbus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

well having been on holidays for last couple of weeks this was first day to use the new service and wasnt sure what it would be like, I live in balbriggan and normally park in church car park and walk to station, so as normal i parked there and walked to station and got on bus which left at 8.30am and got off just outside Connolly at 9.10am, will be interesting how the return journey worked but so far no complaints, when my bus was full it pulled off and there was another one waiting for anyone who didnt get on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Could somebody tell me where the 33x stops in Skerries on its way into town? Is it just Mourne View? I have yet to try it out (for a variety of reasons). I'll be cycling again tomorrow but might give it a bash on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Khannie wrote: »
    Could somebody tell me where the 33x stops in Skerries on its way into town? Is it just Mourne View? I have yet to try it out (for a variety of reasons). I'll be cycling again tomorrow but might give it a bash on Thursday.

1st stop is Mourne View. The 33X serves all bus stops through Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Again with the random destinations today! Digital sign says St. Stephen's Green (which several drivers have told me to ignore because they can't change it), cardboard sign in the window says Tara Street, and he goes to St. Stephen's.

Which one is it guys?

Cycled in again today. More pleasant than the first run. Faster too. I had some trouble with the bike which slowed me down but I'm not nearly as tired this time around as I was last time.

Anyone else considering this? I'd _highly_ recommend getting a loan of a decent bike if you do. I borrowed one off my brother in law. Don't think I would have made it past blakes cross on my piece of muck. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi Khannie,

I cycle into work from Rush myself. Its a grand oul cycle. I am not looking forward to winter however:o. Might reduce the commuting on the bike to 3 days a week from October and use the car the other couple of days
    Khannie wrote: »
    Cycled in again today. More pleasant than the first run. Faster too. I had some trouble with the bike which slowed me down but I'm not nearly as tired this time around as I was last time.

Anyone else considering this? I'd _highly_ recommend getting a loan of a decent bike if you do. I borrowed one off my brother in law. Don't think I would have made it past blakes cross on my piece of muck. :D

• Advertisement

I may have passed you in the car today. :) I was much more conscious of the number of cyclists on the road between skerries and blakes cross today (I passed 4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Can you guys email this thread to the GOV/Dept of Transport or RPA?!!
    Just to shut everyone up arguing about whether or not we need the metro north.
    It's blindingly obvious that we need all the public transport we can get out here. North county Dublin is left shockingly short when it comes to public transport compared to the south of the city, and even the west.
    Just my 2 cents!Hang in there, I'm very concious of the number of cyclists on the road to Blakes X these days too!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Quotes from the Irish Times yesterday:

"CIÉ CHAIRMAN John Lynch has admitted that the semi-State transport company was “shaken” by the partial collapse last month of the railway viaduct spanning Broadmeadow Estuary, just north of Malahide, Co Dublin"

"Work is well under way to repair the damage and Iarnród Éireann has forecast that the line will reopen before the end of November"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0919/1224254857836.html

Beasty wrote: »
    "Work is well under way to repair the damage and Iarnród Éireann has forecast that the line will reopen before the end of November"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/0919/1224254857836.html

Flip me that's good news. Thanks beasty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I dunno,people seem to be happier on the bus!!
    Personally I miss the train as it is easier with a buggy but I do love the fact the buses are way more regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Yeah the bus is pretty sweet alright, get down to the station whatever time suits you and there's one there also you're guaranteed a seat.

I have got stung a number of times, getting to Connolly / Sherriff St at 6:55 only to be stranded with no bus there's often a few other people there too:(:(

On the upside, I found out last week that Bus Eireann are now honoring tickets outside of peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

The trains can stay off as long as they like, the buses are working great for me, It isnt taking any longer for me to get into the city plus as someone else said you are guaranteed a seat and another thing, you dont feel like a squashed sardine.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Our bus driver got lost this morning - we ended up having an unscheduled tour of the docks. He had to ask passengers for directions. Would have been funny if it wasn't Monday morning.

Unshelved wrote: »
    Our bus driver got lost this morning - we ended up having an unscheduled tour of the docks. He had to ask passengers for directions. Would have been funny if it wasn't Monday morning.
    Could have been worse, might have been Tuesday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I thought I would pop in to say that I got the 5pm 33X bus home yesterday from the quays and was standing in my kitchen at 17:50.

Not too bad at all at all. And a seat at rush hour is great!

Advertisement