Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train commuters,what you going to do? (Merged with Commuter Hell thread)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cycled in from just outside Skerries to near Clare Hall. Takes me up to 45 mins to do the 14 miles. I would add there are some dodgy bits of road along the way. I have no problem up to Blakes Cross, but the R132 is a nightmare because of the poor road quality (I came a cropper on the hard shoulder between the Topaz garage and M1 roundabout a couple of months ago, and ended up in hospital for 3 days). I would suggest anyone cycling in takes particular care along this stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

It's a bit rubbish that the last 33X leaves Abbey Street at 17.50. Not ideal if you work in south city and don't finish until 17.30. That's a bit of a dash over to Abbey Street. Although, I'd hope they'll have inspectors at the stop this evening monitoring things. Would expect the last two buses (17.40 and 17.50) will be jam-packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ixoy wrote: »
    Perhaps, but for most of the year the DART is at maximum capacity as is. Where are you supposed to put these extra passengers in? You'd need to increase the number of trains on the route.
    That would be the idea alright. There will be commuter trains on the south of the estuary out of service and gaps in the time table.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

That would be the idea alright. There will be commuter trains on the south of the estuary out of service and gaps in the time table.

Exactly! Make use of the commuter trains that have been stranded on the Malahide side of the estuary. Why not have an express shuttle service serving - say - Malahide, Howth Junction, Connolly, Tara St and beyond?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Unshelved wrote: »
    Exactly! Make use of the commuter trains that have been stranded on the Malahide side of the estuary. Why not have an express shuttle service serving - say - Malahide, Howth Junction, Connolly, Tara St and beyond?
    At least stop at Portmarnock as well - we're always getting screwed over with this sort of arrangement. As it stands our train service is reduced by this disruption as well (obviously not to the same extent, but there's gaps in our schedules now). And there's an argument to be made as, with its bigger car park, there will be more people trying to use the station in the morning in addition to Malahide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

ixoy wrote: »
    At least stop at Portmarnock as well

This is what happened this morning for me anyway.

I drove to Portmarnock, as it has a ridiculously big carpark (seriously the main carpark is biggest I've seen in a train station and then there is the relief bit out the back, no idea why this is so big) expecting to get the 7:50 DART.

However much to my delight a commuter pulled up even though nothing shown on display, and went to connoly, tara and pearse.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    This is what happened this morning for me anyway.

I drove to Portmarnock, as it has a ridiculously big carpark (seriously the main carpark is biggest I've seen in a train station and then there is the relief bit out the back, no idea why this is so big) expecting to get the 7:50 DART.

However much to my delight a commuter pulled up even though nothing shown on display, and went to connoly, tara and pearse.
    Interesting. It would make sense for them to put on extra trains at rush hour serving Malahide (as its close to Donabate) and Portmarnock (large carpark, that may be expanded even further). There's no way that this could cater for everyone but it might serve anyone from Donabate and, potentially, Rush/Lusk - especially if it was express..

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

shaungil wrote: »
    Waves are nice I will wave back however I'd prefer if you just passed me slowly giving me plenty of room and then give me a draft to Blakes Cross. with a draft we'll get 40km an hour and you won't lose any time really cos you're going to get caught at the motorway anyway. :)

Haha. ^_^

I'm not driving, but we make sure anyway :)

I passed two guys cycling in today, just at Balcunnin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Two lads in Swords CC gear (Blue and ornage) left Skerries at 6.30 there was another lad a few mins behind on a mountain bike.
    Tomorrow going at 7.30 hopefully the weather stays nice for a while.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »
    Two lads in Swords CC gear (Blue and ornage) left Skerries at 6.30 there was another lad a few mins behind on a mountain bike.
    Tomorrow going at 7.30 hopefully the weather stays nice for a while.
    Still a bit dark at 6.30 (I had my back light on this morning). Weather should be OK tomorrow, but the remnants of Hurricane Bill will probably be with us on Wednesday:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

From Tuesday 25th of August A special direct bus service will operate between Balbriggan Station and Dublin Connolly station via The Dublin Port Tunnel commencing Tuesday, 25th August for the morning and evening peak. Rail tickets will be accepted on this service.

Balbriggan – Dublin Connolly: 07:00hrs, 07:30hrs, 07:45hrs, 08:00hrs, 08:30hrs

Dublin Connolly (Sherrif St. Lower) - Balbriggan: 17:00hrs, 17:30hrs, 17:45hrs, 18:00hrs, 18:30hrs

Sounds good.

My bf just said he got on an express train serving Howth Jn, Portmarnock and Malahide only - they seem to be using rail cars too but not announcing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sparky84 wrote: »
    It gets worse. Anybody with a monthly / yearly train ticket will have to also pay for buses. :mad:
    You can get a partial refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Sounds good.

Nice only I normally get the 6:17 and 19:12 trains so I'm pretty much knackered, does anyone know will I.R. still give refunds if you have to get Bus Eireann?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nollaigg

I wasnt working today and have to make decisions about tomorrow.
    How long did the 33x from skerries take?
    Might it be worthwhile getting a lift to balbriggan as that route is surely more direct.
    I heard on the news earlier that the drogheda buses took 45 minutes and the Dublin bus lady said the 33x took ! hour and 50 minutes!
    is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I got to speak to one of the bus depots last night and they advised services would run every 10 mins from 6.30am from Mourne view. happy Days!
    So headed to Selskar stop. A 33X passed by around 7am, just missed it.
    Then a 33 arrived @ 7.05. Asked the driver if he was going via the Port Tunnel - no, normal 33 route. I asked him if the frequency for 33X was every 10 mins. Answer: No, every 30 mins.
    Decided to get back on the bus. Service has only 1/2 full all the way.
    I rang the IE information desk in Connolly, and despite spending ages on hold while they checked, they said only Dublin Bus could confirm the bus details. Of course the number he gave me was an answering machine till 9am.
    Crossed over M1 @ Lissenhall @ 7.20am - looked backed up towards Balbriggan.
    Had a few thoughts about getting off in Swords, getting a Bus Eireann 101 on the N1, or getting off @ Drumcondra and getting a Maynooth service (as I needed to get to Lansdowne road). In the end, I stayed on, and arrived to Abbey St @ 8.20am. Got a 8.31am DART, and into work 8.45am.
    2 hours door to door= not good.

Happy return journey. Worked lunch, left work 16.50, got DART 17.00, flew to Tara St, and somehow made the 17.15 33X. Spent about 15 mins getting from Abbey St - Port Tunnel entrance. Arrived back to same bus stop at 18.10. Much improved on this morning. Bus about 1/2 full.

However, I think that the fact the 33X finishes at 17.50 is asking for trouble. They need a few extra services, to fill in the gaps in the 33 service, which is very infrequent in the evening. With 1/2 empty Bus Eireann buses running in the off peak, why not let IE customers use them after 18.30? Everyone's a winner!

By all reports, Drogheda passengers seem to have a great journey in. Have not heard how they got on this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

I feel very forgotten about..........sniff sniff.......I am a regular user of the 101 from Balbriggan to Santry in the morning and vice versa in the evening. Mornings will be absolutely fine - just a few new faces on the bus and everyone's happy.
    Journey home though, quite a different story. Quite simply the 101 must be full from town itself because there wasn't one that went past in the hour I was stood there this evening (I assumed that they went straight up the motorway at Whitehall to the airport roundabout and indeed friends who were on one confirmed it).
    Now I realise of course that there's a major problem at the moment (and for some time to come) but for those of us who don't work in town but on the way in (for example Swords, Santry, Drumcondra) we seem a bit screwed for getting home.
    In terms of numbers compared to those going all the way into town we are probably quite small but its a bit bloody annoying. Will take it up with Bus Eireann tomorrow morning but I fear the attitude will be "if its full, its full. Tough sh1t."
    Anyway got it off my chest, thanks for reading! Happy commuting to one and all!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

got the 33x from Loughshinny cross at 8.35, half a dozen passengers on board. 45 minutes to eastwall - a dream.
    Went to Lr Abbey st for about 6.30, 2 regular 33's came and went with vague promises of another 33x. Turned out it hadn't been planned, the depot organised an Airlink to do the 33x route, took 45 mins as well. The easy ride in the morning made the disaster of a return trip really stand out.
    Do the combined brains of Irishrail/DubBus not realise that some people actually work past 5.30 ? This better improve or I'll be posting the mobile number of the liaison between Irish rail/Dub Bus !! (myself and another passenger spent quite a bit of time on the phone to Dub Bus etc. trying to push for the extra bus..)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Mrs carawaystick got home on the 16:40 to Lusk in less time than the 17:50 train would have taken today (Monday).
    Took her about an hour on the way in in the morning (Monday) but she drove to Skerries and got a 33x from outside Gerry's.

Is there any parking near the Harristown depot?

Have there been any responses from any of our public reps?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Has anyone been in contact with our public representatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

So it seems that the journey into Dublin isn't too bad. For 33 users, how was the journey home? Did the extra 33x's turn up? Was there a big scrum for buses or were there enough? I see Tutlinghorn below had a bit of a nightmare journey home - any other experiences?

We drove again today - 45 minutes from Skerries to the south inner city - 6.30-7.15. I'd say once the schools are back though it'll be a different story - not to mention when the college students return. There seemed to be a bigger crowd for the 6.30 33X this morning on the Dublin Road - it was probably full by the time it departed Skerries.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Mrs carawaystick got home on the 16:40 to Lusk in less time than the 17:50 train would have taken today (Monday).
    Took her about an hour on the way in in the morning (Monday) but she drove to Skerries and got a 33x from outside Gerry's.

Is there any parking near the Harristown depot?

Just one person has been onto me from Donabate, they didn't know about the feeder service to Malahide....

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭darraghjm

good service this morning from balbriggan, i arrived in the train station at 7, just as a bus was leaving, another empty bus pulled up, about 15people got on it and we were on our way at 7.05, it went straight up the motorway and thru the port tunnel, arrived at connolly around 7.40.

there seemed to be a fair few buses in balbriggan station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Headed up to get the direct bus from Balbriggan station. There was a train just leaving to Skerries, so I assume maybe some people from Laytown/Gormanston were able to connect to the bus in this way. I went up to get the 7am bus, there were about 10 coaches there. I was there about ten to 6 and one was just full and leaving. I got on the next bus and we left at 6.55, got in to Connolly at 7.30. Not really bad going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Getting home last night in the words of Keeh Duffy on "The Box" was EEEZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Bus departed Lower Abbey Street at 5pm and I was sitting on the couch in the sitting room at 5.35pm. It's actually a better service than the train, you get a seat, you save petrol by not driving to the station and save €8 a week on parking!

This morning was strange, waited at 7.10am for a bus that was due to arrive at 7.20am. When it did arrive at 7.30am, it was full and it looked like another 30 minute wait until the next one but a regular 33 passed a couple of minutes later and pointed to us that another 33X was just behind. Boarded that at 7.35am and was in Amiens Street for 8.10am.

Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Disaster this morning from Lusk.

Got to bus stop at 6:40. Bus passed full at 6:50, and another at 7:15 just went straight down the bypass (also full I presume). An inspector guy seemed to be monitoring the situation and he arrived with an empty bus at 7:30. Got into work (Baggot Street) at 8:35, exactly two hours after leaving my house. :mad:

Will be onto Dublin Bus later to let them know that some buses should start at Lusk, otherwise it's going to be 3+ months of watching full buses go past.

(Bus from Stephen's Green last night took an hour and a quarter to get to Lusk. Walking to Abbey Street may be a better option).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Peckham wrote: »

Got to bus stop at 6:40. Bus passed full at 6:50, and another at 7:15 just went straight down the bypass (also full I presume). An inspector guy seemed to be monitoring the situation and he arrived with an empty bus at 7:30. Got into work (Baggot Street) at 8:35, exactly two hours after leaving my house. :mad:

Funny that you should mention that, my opinion would be that if the buses are full then they should avoid the village altogether but there should be buses leaving Lusk starting opposite Lusk Motor Group and picking up at Murrays and Kelly's Garage.

The fact that it's run reasonably smoothly for me is just too good to be true at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

joke in rush this morning. i was waiting at the bus stop on the scerries road from 7.30 2 33x whent by full and then i asked a a driver on the normal 33 about 33x and said that they are all full leaving scerries. i had to get the normal 33.what are we supposed to do in rush. the normal 33 takes bloody ages.

they need to start the express buses from every town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 martipants

darraghjm wrote: »
    good service this morning from balbriggan, i arrived in the train station at 7, just as a bus was leaving, another empty bus pulled up, about 15people got on it and we were on our way at 7.05, it went straight up the motorway and thru the port tunnel, arrived at connolly around 7.40.

there seemed to be a fair few buses in balbriggan station.

That's great! I'm getting lifts as my boyf needs his car for work this week (still offering car pooling on tripmi.ie) but I'll be back on public transport from next week. Glad to hear it wasn't too painful.
    Gillo wrote: »
    I still can't believe Bus Eireann aren't taking rail tickets, that would take a massive strain from Balbriggan and free up the 33 for Skerries, Rush and Lusk. Was anyone down at the stations this morning, curious to know what happened.

I wonder how long they'll be able to afford to pay all of those coaches though; it must be costing a fortune.

I suspect there will be some diplomatics going on in the next few weeks with Bus Eireann, as they already have the Balbriggan route covered...they just need to start accepting rail tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Peckham wrote: »
    Will be onto Dublin Bus later to let them know that some buses should start at Lusk, otherwise it's going to be 3+ months of watching full buses go past..

yep happend to me as well I was waiting at the bus stop at 8:00 this morning and two full buses passed me by :mad: then thankfully a guy passing in his car offered a lift to Swords to anybody who wanted one so I jumped in and got the Swords express from the Airside and made it to work at 8:45.

Heaven knows what time I would of made it to work if I waited for the bus.

Does anybody know who to contact to offer some suggestions?

Maybe that they should have a bus every 15mins at peak time with at least four 33Xs leaving just Lusk from 7:00-8:00 to cater for the 8\9 commuters

Advertisement