Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train commuters,what you going to do? (Merged with Commuter Hell thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Gonna get the bus tomorrow. Been driving so far and it's been a fuppin nightmare. Can someone tell me does the 33x only stop at a subset of the bus stops in Skerries on its way into town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Hows it going now? Not been in work all last week, got to get the buss from lusk tomorrow- need to be in town for 9, what time should get a bus at?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

billyhead wrote: »
    I cycle from Rush at least 3 days a week and as you said the scariest part is coming onTo the R132. I cycle on a racing bike and tbh the Road surface on the R132 hard shoulder is not great. I have had a couple of burst tyres before so if anyone is planning on cycling I would advise you get puncture proof tyres fitted. The ones I use are called Dutch puncture resistant tyres and can be got in most bike retailers. Takes roughly a 45mins to an hour on the bike to get to work in the morning.

Wow, that's a very impressive time. I'd very seriously consider the cycle both ways if I could achieve that kind of time.

In fact, in between the last sentence and this one I've just fired off a mail to my brother in law asking him if I can borrow his racer (I have a suspension mountain bike and I wouldn't consider it for that kind of journey). Gonna give it a lash. Nothing to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Just wondering what peoples experiences were this morning compared to last week? I certainly noticed a lot more people at Balbriggan station this morning, did anyone have any problems getting on a bus (from Drogheda/Balbriggan/Skerries etc) particularly after 7.30 and what was the traffic like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

At 8.10am is was taking 16 minutes to travel from the M1 just before Lissenhall to the Port Tunnel.

Monday mornings generally experience light traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why has Irish Rail only put on 2 extra trains that would get people in before 9 but 7 after that? I appreciate some people go in later but the majority of people I know of are to be in work for 9 so surely they should be doing more during peak time if they're putting on extra capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Took approximately 10 minutes longer from Lusk to Connolly this morning by bus but tomorrow will be the acid test!

ixoy wrote: »
    Why has Irish Rail only put on 2 extra trains that would get people in before 9 but 7 after that? I appreciate some people go in later but the majority of people I know of are to be in work for 9 so surely they should be doing more during peak time if they're putting on extra capacity?
    Alternative options have been provided for travel during the rush hour, outside rush hour there is no alternative service of any note.

Providing extra trains would require lots more buses at Donabate to make the transfer. I imagine things are fairly stretched as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 romeromerome

So is the 33x going from Custom House Quay this evening? That's a fairly long quay. Does anyone know if its the stop near the Sean O'Casey bridge or is it further up?

Whats the bets its still going from lower abbey st as I stand there like a noob. Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Firedance wrote: »
    Just wondering what peoples experiences were this morning compared to last week? I certainly noticed a lot more people at Balbriggan station this morning, did anyone have any problems getting on a bus (from Drogheda/Balbriggan/Skerries etc) particularly after 7.30 and what was the traffic like?

got the bus a 8:05 outside Kellys garage in Lusk, I actually got a seat :eek: got into town around 8:45 got to work a 9:05 (due to Connolly detour)

why does the bus instead of going straight up the quays the bus it turns right and then left down Amien street and stops outside Connolly which takes about 10-15mins due to traffic, why does the bus take this route :confused:

why not go straight up the quays and let passengers get off outside the Ulster bank\Tara St station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

So is the 33x going from Custom House Quay this evening? That's a fairly long quay. Does anyone know if its the stop near the Sean O'Casey bridge or is it further up?

Whats the bets its still going from lower abbey st as I stand there like a noob. Hmmm.

I would imagine that it is from outside the Custom House itself, as buses can stop there without blocking traffic.

Further updates to Donabate travel arrangements:

REPLACEMENT BUSES:

Route 33d – Donabate Train Station to Tara Street DART Station
    This service will operate Monday to Friday from Donabate to Tara Street DART Station via the M1 and the Port Tunnel.

From Donabate Train Station
    07:10, 07:30, 07:50, 09:20, 09:40, 10:00.

From Custom House Quay
    08:20, 08:40, 09:00, 17:20, 17:40, 18:00.

Shuttle Service – Donabate Station – Malahide DART Station
    From 06.50hrs until 20.00hrs a shuttle bus service will operate between Donabate Station and Malahide DART Station.

The last shuttle service from Donabate to Malahide will depart at 19.50hrs.

The last shuttle service from Malahide to Donabate will depart at 20.20hrs

School Services
    A school service at 08:00 will operate from Donabate to Malahide and Portmarnock Community Schools and will return after school hours.

RAIL TIMETABLES (Donabate-Drogheda/Dundalk):
    Weekdays:http://www.irishrail.ie/upload/A4%20...20to%20Fri.pdf

Saturday/Sunday: http://www.irishrail.ie/upload/A4%20...%20Weekend.pdf

Also note that evening 33X operates from 1600 to 1900 every 10 minutes from Custom House Quay to Skerries via Lusk and Rush (and not from 1700 as originally announced). I would assume that these buses will continue to Balbriggan as per last week.

Further changes to 33X - OFF PEAK TIMES

33x Skerries/Rush & Lusk
    Additional 33x services will operate Monday to Friday from Mourne View, Skerries via the M1 and the Port Tunnel to Tara Street DART Station. Return journeys will depart from Custom House Quay.

From Mourne View (Skerries, via Rush & Lusk) to Tara St. DART Station
    From 06:30 up to 09.00hrs buses will operate every 10 minutes. 33x will then operate at 10:20, 12:20 and 14:20hrs.

From Custom House Quay to Skerries/Rush & Lusk
    09:00, 11:00, 13:00 then from 16:00hrs to 19:00hrs services will operate every 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

dcr22B wrote: »
    Took approximately 10 minutes longer from Lusk to Connolly this morning by bus but tomorrow will be the acid test!
    Well, it couldn't possibly last!

Waited 45 minutes for the 33X this morning while 3 full ones drove past and then when we finally get on one, there's another empty one directly behind it.

FFS! I'll be on to Dublin Bus this morning to inform them of this as it seems to be only our stop (at Kelly's Garage) that seems to be having the problems.

In fairness to DB, they'll hopefully consult with their drivers and come up with alternatives to ensure that we don't have to turn into icicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Heard some people talking on the Donabate bus about a meeting later on tonight with DB, anyone know the when / where / etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Can you pay onto the 33x or will I need a pre paid ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Looks like a bit of a problem in Lusk at around the 06:45-07:00 time period. At least two full buses went past the Murrays and Kellys stop in that time period (I got on at the stop before Murrays). Presumably the "normal" 33X at 07:10 is picking up at these stops?

As I'd expect we're not at full autumn/winter capacity, is there going to be a bit of a problem at Lusk in the next few weeks?

Why did they drop those buses that start at Lusk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Can you pay onto the 33x or will I need a pre paid ticket

Pretty sure you can pay cash, would be a bit unfair for the irregular train users if this wasn't the case.

If you'll be using the 33X occassionally, it might be worth buying a ten journey ticket, which I'm pretty sure you can use. Think they're 18 euro for ten journeys.

Peckham wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can pay cash, would be a bit unfair for the irregular train users if this wasn't the case.

If you'll be using the 33X occassionally, it might be worth buying a ten journey ticket, which I'm pretty sure you can use. Think they're 18 euro for ten journeys.

Quite correct - Dublin Bus tickets, Irish Rail tickets and cash can all be used.

The 10 Journey Travel 90 Smart Card (EUR 18) is valid and means that each journey costs only EUR 1.80, and if the bus gets you into town in under 90 minutes you can use the card again on another bus at no extra cost.

The ticket is valid for between 1 year and 18 months, so you can use the 10 journeys at any time over that period if you are an irregular user of the bus.

You can buy it at any Dublin Bus ticket agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

KC61 wrote: »
    Quite correct - Dublin Bus tickets, Irish Rail tickets and cash can all be used.

The 10 Journey Travel 90 Smart Card (EUR 18) is valid and means that each journey costs only EUR 1.80, and if the bus gets you into town in under 90 minutes you can use the card again on another bus at no extra cost.

The ticket is valid for between 1 year and 18 months, so you can use the 10 journeys at any time over that period if you are an irregular user of the bus.

You can buy it at any Dublin Bus ticket agent.

Thanks for this, as the bus I get once/twice a week is €1.80, it would save me having to carry the exact change, and ending up spending money somewhere in order to get the change, on something I don't necessarily need - this would be a more viable option.

Further update to Dublin Bus Rail Replacement Services - Extra 33X and 33D services
    From Monday 31st August, to facilitate Iarnród Éireann northern commuters the following special bus services will operate. Dublin Bus will honour all valid bus and rail tickets on these services.

33x Skerries/Rush & Lusk
    Additional 33x services will operate Monday to Friday from Mourne View, Skerries via the M1 and the Port Tunnel to Tara Street DART Station. Return journeys will depart from Custom House Quay.

Monday to Friday

From 06:30hrs up to 09.00hrs buses will operate every 10 minutes. 33x will then operate at 10:20hrs, 12:20, 14:20hrs and 16:20hrs.

09:00hrs, 11:00hrs, 13:00hrs and 15:00hrs then from 16:00hrs to 19:00hrs services will operate every 10 minutes.

Saturday

07:00, 08:00, 09:00, 10:00
    11:00, 12:00, 14:00, 16:00
    18:00, 20:00.

05:40, 06:40, 07:40, 08:40
    09:40, 10:40, 12:40, 14:40,
    16:40, 18:40.

Sunday

09:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30
    14:30, 16:30, 18:30, 20:30.

08:10, 09:10, 10:10, 11:10,
    13:10, 15:10, 17:10, 19:10.

Regular Route 33 services will operate as per the normal 33 timetable.

Route 33d - Donabate Train Station to Tara Street DART Station
    This service will operate Monday to Friday from Donabate to Tara Street DART Station via the M1 and the Port Tunnel.

From Donabate Train Station
    07:10, 07:30, 07:50, 08:10,
    09:20, 09:40, 10:10, 16:00.

From Custom House Quay
    08:20, 08:40, 09:00, 15:00,
    17:00, 17:20, 17:40, 18:00.

Shuttle Service - Donabate Station - Malahide DART Station
    From 06.45hrs until 20.00hrs a shuttle bus service will operate between Donabate Station and Malahide DART Station.

The last shuttle service from Donabate to Malahide will depart at 19.55hrs.

The last shuttle service from Malahide to Donabate will depart at 19:30hrs

School Services
    A school service at 08:00 will operate from Donabate to Malahide and Portmarnock Community Schools and will return after school hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Does anyone know if you can use Rail only tickets on bus routes other then the 33, but along the DART/train line?
    I have to go southside when I get off the 33X in town, and as the Drogheda - Bray trains no longer operate, there are now gaps of up to 20 mins right in the middle of the morning peak. There are a couple of buses, with 5-10 minute frequency which would make life easier. But will I have to pay extra to use these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Thanks for this, as the bus I get once/twice a week is €1.80, it would save me having to carry the exact change, and ending up spending money somewhere in order to get the change, on something I don't necessarily need - this would be a more viable option.

Could you use this ticket from Rush if so I'm heading to spar in the next few minutes

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can use Rail only tickets on bus routes other then the 33, but along the DART/train line?
    I have to go southside when I get off the 33X in town, and as the Drogheda - Bray trains no longer operate, there are now gaps of up to 20 mins right in the middle of the morning peak. There are a couple of buses, with 5-10 minute frequency which would make life easier. But will I have to pay extra to use these?

Unfortunately not - they will only take bus tickets.

However, a Dublin Bus Travel 90 10 Journey Smartcard will cover you for a second (or indeed third plus) bus journey provided you start it within 90 minutes of the first, and costs only EUR 18 - meaning the whole trip would only cost EUR 1.80 each way!

You can get it from any Dublin Bus ticket agent.

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Could you use this ticket from Rush if so I'm heading to spar in the next few minutes

Yes! To/From anywhere on the entire Dublin Bus network.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

ever so slightly off topic....despite the rain this evening, a lady passenger on one of the private busses returning to Balbriggan requested if he would stop off at Balrothery, but the jobsworth just repied twice "No, I'm going to stop off at the train station" - didn't seem any problem with a different driver yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Nodster wrote: »
    ever so slightly off topic....despite the rain this evening, a lady passenger on one of the private busses returning to Balbriggan requested if he would stop off at Balrothery, but the jobsworth just repied twice "No, I'm going to stop off at the train station" - didn't seem any problem with a different driver yesterday!

I've found that the best way of going about things is to ask the driver can he stop at Balothery when you get onto the bus in town. If they say no, simply get off the bus and get the next one.

Nodster wrote: »
    If you start stopping for every Tom, Dick and Harry then where do you draw the line.

I don't see what the problem is, it's a point to point bus service and advertised as such. No exceptions. The bus driver has a job to do and a schedule to keep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Bluetonic wrote: »
    If you start stopping for every Tom, Dick and Harry then where do you draw the line.

Was expecting a reply like that :p

The point I was making was that I've been travelling home around the same time each evening and it had been just one person who's made this request [to stop at Balrothery] and nowhere else, in fact it would suit me better to be dropped at the Church, but sure the exercise does me good.
    The fact that with the nasty weather I would've thought this particular (Donnelly's) driver could've made an exception.
    Other than that, I'm actually enjoying my new commute eachday ;), the only fly in the ointment is having to suffer 2FM's Colm & Jim Jim on the morning run!

Advertisement