Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Old Compacts for a good cause.

• 22-08-2009 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

**** If this is inappropriate Mods please move or delete ****

As some of you may know, I'm off to Syria in a few weeks. I will be visiting some of the areas where there are Iraqi and Palestinian refugees (some of them there for over 60 years!).

Anyway, I'd like to contribute something as well as "taking" something as we all do in such places, so I'll be looking to organise something photography based with some of the teenagers and others. And here comes the begging letter!

I was wondering do you all throw out your old cameras as you trade up and they become in western terms "unsellable" or obsolete? They would be a marvellous tool for someone displaced and for whom life is not as challenging as it might be. Photography, as we all know, can make you forget about the world for a little while.

I am trying at the moment to link this in with an official UNICEF project, but given that I started so late in the day, that may not be feasible. I will keep you informed.

So to the practicalities. The Camera must work, be a P&S regardless of age or spec and have a battery and charger and card if possible. Cards on their own , even 64mb or whatever would be great also. I will pay any postage involved.

I will post more details anon.

T.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm afraid I've nothing to donate myself but kudos for a very good idea. The altuistic side of things aside it seems probable to me that some incredible photos will come out of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Hopefully Sleepy. Great user name for an insomniac btw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Wish I had something I could contribute

Did you stick an ad up on adverts.ie?

Will do. Forgot that. Thanks.

• Advertisement

A PM to Dev might get a site-wide-notice posted, this is the kind of thing that usually gets his interest...

I've taken the liberty of using my sig to publicise this a bit for you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Apologies for going off topic:
    I see you are out by BRittas Bay - was the accident bad ?

there was a car crashed into a pole ...killed one youngfella - other went to hospital - road is closed off.

(read it on Breaking news)

Covery - wish I could contribute - but have no P&S cameras left.

No bother, hope you're keeping well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I've nothing myself , I tend to give my old ones to my kids , but an idea might be to approach shops such as Berminghams, Camera Exchange , even Power city - they'd probably have a bigger & better (redundant) stocks - but best of luck in Syria - sounds great

Thanks Barry. It is great I've been before :D Hope you're keeping well.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »

I've taken the liberty of using my sig to publicise this a bit for you. :)

Hey thanks a lot, much appreciated.

I have one, but its total crap. PM me postage details if you want.

If it works thats all that matters. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Are you only looking for digital? I have an old film p+s camera (Nikon AF250SV) that I'd be willing to donate - could be a good use of the free unicare films as well.

Drop me a pm if you want the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I have a Canon A420 plus 256 card. Send me the postage detalis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've possibly have 2,Both 3mp with no cards cables or batteries if that ok?If i find them,(and can find something to post them in) i'm sure i could get them sent to you.

I'll have a look tomorrow and see what i find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I think I have an old nikon (*cough*) p&s that you'd be welcome to, if I can find it and if you don't mind the lens cap thingey sticking a bit? I'll throw in some cards too :) I'll have a root around and a general shout out and see what I can find too. I just gave my dad my old 350D so I guess he owes me his fairly new p&s for a start ;)

Are you going to collate the pics? Sounds like a REALLY interesting project! Might be able to help with the UNICEF thing too? Since I worked for the feckers for eleven years for more or less nothing, I figure they owe me :D PM me!

Thanks all, thats brilliant. I'll contact you all by PM.

@ Tallon, I'll give the film a bit more thought as to how that may work and get back to you.

@ sineadw I'll get back to you on the Unicef thingie, when I know more. Waiting for a response at the moment. I'll definitely do something with the photos when I have more of an idea how this would pan out.

Thanks all, much appreciated.

T.

Just an update.

well a couple of cameras in already and 3/4 more promised. A great response and I'm thrilled.

Also got an offer to buy a new one, which I'll be matching myself.

Any more cameras stuck in drawers not been used would be much appreciated.

I'm sure a lot of you have redundant cards. 16-500mb that probably are little used now. They would be very welcome.

My contacts in Damascus are all set up and a photoday will be organised and maybe more will come of that in due course.

At the moment can't accept film cameras, DSLRs or Camera Phones. Maybe another project!

T.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've got a HP with a broken screen and a printer if you want them. The camera works but there's no viewfinder and the screen is busted so it's really point, shoot and hope for the best!

• Advertisement

Much appreciated PullandBang. Running out of space so can't take the printer I'm afraid.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Don't have a camera to contribute unfortunately, but I have to say I love the idea. Would also really love to see the pictures at the end. Will add a link to this thread in my sig.

Last bump for this.

Many many thanks for the generous offers of cameras. They'll find a very good home indeed.

If any of you have old cards lying around, 128/256/512 mb for instance, they would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tommie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

when are you heading off? ive a canon 2mp. its dated but still works. will you pm me details ?

Thanks Snowy, PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

How did you get on with this project, Tommie? Do you have any shots you can show us ?

Ooops sorry, I meant to thank everyone for their generosity.

School and a robbery in their centre, meant it was curtailed a bit to a long chat for a couple of hours about Ireland, Syria and Photography. The project I tagged on to is http://www.refocusproject.com/ . The cameras were very much appreciated as they only had cameras for groups of 4, which is a bit unsatisfactory if you want to go and take some shots. A great group of kids though, very interested in everything.

I'll probaly revisit in May as I'm organising a photo tour to Syria. more of that anon.

Got a very strange question thrown at me though. Q.What is your profession A. Accountant. Q. How to you relate accountancy to photography? A. Long pause :D

I'll post some of the kids shots later.

A big thanks to all who gave cameras and cards once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Still looking for cameras. I have a Fuji, with some memory cards if you're interested.

Yes indeed.

There are still 7/8 in the group that have no cameras, that would be great. Sometime when you're up this way would be great. Much appreciated.

T.

• Advertisement

I didn't know you still needed these, so thanks for the bump Trish :) I have an old nikon P&S and a CF card. Finally found it! The lens cap yokey thing can stick a bit though? That any good?

I'll swap you for a loan of that book if you're about town at all at the weekend :p

Thanks Sinead.

I'm not really pushing it as I'm not going back till next year. But I have a way of getting them to them so it would be much appreciated.

Book is a fair exchange? Tell me where and when ?

i think I'll be around the DCC vicinity Sat for the annuals. I'll PM you when I know more...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Hi Covey,

Would an old canon rebel xs film slr be any good to you?

Simon

simonp1 wrote: »
    Hi Covey,

Would an old canon rebel xs film slr be any good to you?

Simon
    Thanks Simon, but no film is out. They wouldn't have the means to process it easily. Thanks for the offer.

Advertisement