Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new savings account which one?

Options
  • 22-08-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

I have a current account with AIB at the moment and i have some extra money in my account which i dont want to be left in my current account. I would like to open a new account with a different bank and place a couple of grand for a rainy day there. What bank and account should i use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can you give people some more info to work with?

Rough sum, do you want it accessible on demand/with notice, how much risk you're willing to take, how long you can lock it away for. Otherwise, people are just sticking pins in a map and making guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Can you give people some more info to work with?

Rough sum, do you want it accessible on demand/with notice, how much risk you're willing to take, how long you can lock it away for. Otherwise, people are just sticking pins in a map and making guesses.

Hi, not the OP here, but wondering if you could advise me.

I'm a third-level student and I'm making a bit of money from a part-time job. I'd like to set up a savings account where I can make a small enough deposit every two weeks or so.

It's just a case of getting it out of my current account, because I have a habit of spending money when it's easily available to me.

I've been using a credit union account until now, but I'd prefer an account that I could transfer money into online.

Roughly around €100 every two weeks.
    Preferably available on demand but giving a week or two's notice is grand.
    Risk? I dunno. A good bit? Sure ya only live once :P
    And I'm not saving for anything in particular, but I don't want this money locked away for years.

Hopefully I've given enough info. Thanks in advance.

Oh and I'm with AIB at the moment. Student Plus Account

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭The Rooster

So €100 to save every 2 weeks:

If I was you I'd put €100 a month into the Rabodirect Regular investor plan for some risk
    http://www.rabodirect.ie/investments/regular-investor/default.aspx
    (Note: investments may go up as well as down! Mine went up by 48% in the last few months - but it had decreased by more than that in the previous 6 months!)

And €100 a month into Anglo regular savings
    http://www.angloirishbank.ie/Personal_Savings/Regular_Annual_Saver_Account/
    5% interest rate which I think is the best on offer. No withdrawls allowed in the first 6 months, but unlimited after that.

Alternatively Ulster Bank's regular saver account offers 4% interest rate, but unlimited withdrawls from day 1.

Advertisement