Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wireless bb in letterkenny. cant get wired sadly.

Options
  • 22-08-2009 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

im moving up to letterkenny on the 8th, into ballyraine hall's.

afaik im not allowed to get wired internet installed into the apartments.
    there's already wireless broadband available piped from the college, but its meant to be fairly cack for anything other than surfing and overnight downloads.

i want internet for my xbox360 and the occasional webcam convo.

so... if i cant get wired,that rules smart bb out.

how about wireless? does anyone use it for gaming? id really love to know how well it works if at all.
    i know its not an ideal situatiton, but its a necessity!

thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've got 3 mobile but never used it for the 360, its apparently possible but really slow and pointless for things like fps games so I've never bothered setting it up. Theres a thread somewhere on boards.ie showing how to set it up as its quite complicated but if you're desperate I'll have a look for it if ya want?

Also, it'd be reasonable for webcam from my own experience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Pity about the wired broadband. Why is that? Concerned with the bills? Deal with the college? I know lkbeds have a 24mb smart line inc. in the rent. Digiweb cover Letterkenny. Avoid NWEWN if you can.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

im moving up to letterkenny on the 8th, into ballyraine hall's.

afaik im not allowed to get wired internet installed into the apartments.
    there's already wireless broadband available piped from the college, but its meant to be fairly cack for anything other than surfing and overnight downloads.

i want internet for my xbox360 and the occasional webcam convo.

so... if i cant get wired,that rules smart bb out.

how about wireless? does anyone use it for gaming? id really love to know how well it works if at all.
    i know its not an ideal situatiton, but its a necessity!

thanks!

The College wireless broadband in the halls is quite good...failing that, o2 offer a €19.99 a month deal that works well in Letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

thnx for the replies. i heard the college broadband is decent, but not for gaming on at all.

ive seen o2 broadband and 3mobile's connected to laptop's and shared connection to xbox360's, but its complete useless.

anyone know if digiweb wireless is decent?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Digiweb Metro should be OK. Ping wise, it'd be considerably better than 3G dongles.

Maybe Irish Broadband still operate their wireless offerings in Letterkenny too, though I'd probably go for Metro myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I doubt the halls will allow you to stick a wireless transmitter on the roof for IBB or digiweb. Mobile broadband is grand for a bit of browsing, but not at all suitable for gaming.

Advertisement