Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Quest (again) - Galway Post Sorting Office

Options
  • 22-08-2009 11:42pm

So a package got delivered for me on Wednesday. Only there was nobody here to sign for it and for some reason they've decided to send it out to that sorting office on the Tuam Road that is in the middle of nowhere whatsoever! It's going to be there for 5 working days, so I figure I have until Tuesday to get it before it's sent back (open to correction).

It's way too far out to walk and there doesn't appear to be any buses that go out that way. I don't have a car and a taxi would cost too much from Renmore. A co-worker told me the number 9 Parkmore bus goes near there. Is there any truth in this?

Much obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Funnily enough, this is one of the sites that has been exercising GalwayTransport.info's mind recently, 'tis a good candidate for "popular places".

Can someone pin-point the office on Google maps? (easiest if you know the spot, and look at the maps in satellite view). I've been there once in someone's car, but didn't take enough notice.

As the crow flies, I think the route 3 bus gets closer. But it's a fairly unpleasant walk from Trappers Inn up Tuam Rd, and you have to cross some nasty roundabouts. I'm not sure if there are footpaths or not.

I walked from the end of the #9 route up towards the Tuam Rd a couple of weeks ago - didn't quite get to Tuam Rd 'cos my lunch break wasn't long enough, but was pretty close - and was thinking that it might be a better option, depending on where the office is on Tuam Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

just paste these co-ordinates into google maps and it gives you the carpark... in satellite view you can see all those green vans outside...
    all the small cars is a citeron dealership the an post place is tucked up behind it
    and watch out for the entrance to the place it is a bit down the road closer to galway

53.298115, -9.007064

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Its a 20min walk max from the trappers inn.

Just mary- Nasty Roundabouts??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Pm me and ill pick you up
    and drop you out there on monday

im near renmore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

A co-worker told me the number 9 Parkmore bus goes near there. Is there any truth in this?
    From what I remember when I used to work in Parkmore the bus stop is just before he roundabout that separates the east and west sites of the business park. To get to the sorting office from there you'd have to walk down the hill to the Tuam road and then take a left back towards the city. The sorting office will be on the left. I'm not sure how far it is but it would be quite a long walk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've had to walk out there a couple of times. It's not that bad if you have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

I've biked that route oooohh at least 30 times..12 minutes from NUiG and 12 mins back...a lunchbreak manoeuvre.
    From Renmore about 15 mins by bike...Plan the route out on the Ordnance survey map.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Shryke wrote:
    I've had to walk out there a couple of times. It's not that bad if you have the time.
    That's fair enough, I've only ever travelled that part of the road by car so I've no idea what it's like on foot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

darrenh wrote: »
    Just mary- Nasty Roundabouts??!!

from a pedestrian point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

You can ring them and ask for it to be re-delivered when your at home, or indeed I believe they will deliver it to a local branch Post Office which may be easier for you to get too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

majiktripp wrote: »
    or indeed I believe they will deliver it to a local branch Post Office which may be easier for you to get too.

Nope, they've told me twice that they don't do this:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

actually if you ring them they'll redeliver it to you. ive done that a few times, cause ive no car either and it is a pain to get out there.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Nope, they've told me twice that they don't do this:(

I think it depends on who you get, but officially they don't do it. Re-delivery only works if you can be at home during delivery hours, of if you have another address which will accept the parcel for you (eg workplace, neighbour, neighbouring business). Some don't.

Thanks for the info folks, I'm hatching a plan. Watch this space.

Oh - and if anyone looks at google maps and thinks "I'll just walk down Ballybrit Cres" - don't: the actual road isn't quite the same as the one in google's database. I'm not sure if this is just an error, or because it really is a paper road which has never been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    I think it depends on who you get, but officially they don't do it. Re-delivery only works if you can be at home during delivery hours, of if you have another address which will accept the parcel for you (eg workplace, neighbour, neighbouring business). Some don't.

Sorry, to be clear, they don't redeliver to a local post office.
    I've had them redeliver to my house the next day (or day after) with a phone call. I think you are meant to fill out the docket, but they did it once or twice over the phone. If you want it redelivered to another business address, you have to post in the little slip saying so I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

JustMary wrote: »
    I think it depends on who you get, but officially they don't do it.

One guy is very obliging, another guy is obliging-ish, another guy is nothing short of a miserable cnut; and I actually hope he is reading this, because you sir ARE a miserable cnut with the people skills and personality of a concrete block.

The woman that is sometimes on there is a bit meh also.

The whole thing is a joke anyway, crap opening hours, crap service, I don't they could have a service more unfacilitating of Joe Public if they tried:rolleyes::mad:.

Hmm.. looks like I'll be getting a bus out to the Trappers Inn and walking out to there. It's completely idiotic where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

i've worked there for 3 christmases... its no more than a 10min walk from Monaghans garage on the Tuam Road... about 30minute walk from Renmore...

they really should send unreceived parcels to the Eglinton Street office... it would be far more convenient for the public. But alas no, tis a State-run organisation and they really couldn't work with the public in mind, now could they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hmm.. looks like I'll be getting a bus out to the Trappers Inn and walking out to there. It's completely idiotic where it is.

Aye, I had to do that a few times, or even get a bloody taxi out there on a couple of occasions!
    Can't you just fax them the delivery notice yoke and get them to attempt delivery again/deliver to your workplace?

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    i've worked there for 3 christmases... its no more than a 10min walk from Monaghans garage on the Tuam Road... about 30minute walk from Renmore...

they really should send unreceived parcels to the Eglinton Street office... it would be far more convenient for the public. But alas no, tis a State-run organisation and they really couldn't work with the public in mind, now could they?

Or else just drop it into whatever the local post office would be.

Which route would you take that it would be a 30 minute walk from Renmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Be sure and have photo ID with you, the last time I was up there asked me for it and did'nt have it and I had an awfull job argueing the toss just to get my package. Stupid really they don't ask for ID when they deliver it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Used to take me 30 mins aswell to the place from gmit.
    And you usually can't collect it on the same day either.

And you usually can't collect it on the same day either.

Ahh, yes, another trap for the unwary: If the postie puts a delivery slip in your box today, then the parcel will still be out with him/her for the rest of today. So don't go heading up there until tomorrow. Makes sense when you think about it, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Or else just drop it into whatever the local post office would be.

Which route would you take that it would be a 30 minute walk from Renmore?

walk to GMIT roundabout, down the Ballybane Road, past the Supervalu to the roundabout, take the 2nd exit into the Ballybrit Ind. Estate and walk by Harrys Motorcyles/Some Blinds Place, keep going to the end of that road in the Ind. Estate until you get down a hill and onto the tuam road by Monaghans garage, turn right and out the N17, it'll be there on your right behind the Citroen dealership.

hope that helps!

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    walk to GMIT roundabout, down the Ballybane Road, past the Supervalu to the roundabout, take the 2nd exit into the Ballybrit Ind. Estate and walk by Harrys Motorcyles/Some Blinds Place, keep going to the end of that road in the Ind. Estate until you get down a hill and onto the tuam road by Monaghans garage, turn right and out the N17, it'll be there on your right behind the Citroen dealership.

hope that helps!

That is somewhat the route I had in mind. Will have to go to town tomorrow anyways so methinks I'll get the number 3 out to the Trappers Inn and then walk out the rest and then walk back to Renmore. Would certainly be an exciting trek and hopefully will take up some time.

Thanks for the offer, Minxie, but I think I would enjoy the walk - dependent on the rain, of course.

Sorry for double post.

Just back from the Post Sorting Office. It wasn't too bad a walk, I have to say. Got the number 3 bus from town out to the Trappers Inn and walked the rest of the way. It was maybe about 10-12 minutes to there.

On the way back to Renmore I decided to time it using the stopwatch on my iPod. From the front door of the Sorting Office to Merlin Park Stores it took a grand total of 39minutes 55seconds at a brisk pace. Took me about 5 minutes to cross that horrible Font Roundabout.

As a side-note:

I would just like to say thanks to two people I encountered on my journey. Firstly to the gentleman who pointed me in the right direction after seeing that I seemed a bit lost (apparently there is a difference between City North and North Point ...) And secondly to the man who does the sheds that can be seen by the Baby shop/Door Depot who offered me a lift back into town as I walked by him. I turned it down as I was interested to see how long it would take to walk.

It's good to know that there are still people who are willing to help without being asked. Thanks.

Now, time to play with my new gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

One guy is very obliging, another guy is obliging-ish, another guy is nothing short of a miserable cnut; and I actually hope he is reading this, because you sir ARE a miserable cnut with the people skills and personality of a concrete block.

Hear, Hear!

*shakes fist in direction of sorting office*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Xiney wrote: »
    Hear, Hear!

*shakes fist in direction of sorting office*

I'm glad somebody agrees with me.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't talk to me about that shaggin sorting office on the Tuam road. Nightmare of a place and the staff there are a bunch of ballbags (apart from one or two).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I still cant fathom why they wont open from say 9-12 on a Saturday morning. Would help everyone.

Plus they do sort post on Saturdays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

i always just ring them and they redeliver! fcuk them, make them redeliver all your parcels for ya. that place is waaaay too far out for us non-car people!!

Advertisement