Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog collars

Options
  • 22-08-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

lads would anyone with dogs, use the radio shock collars on them to keep them with in the perimeter
    i got one but am having to minds putting it on my pup
    any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

i had one for my dog and it did SWEET FCUK ALL. do not buy one or use it it may work but my dog could walk out leisurely over the wire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I've heard the opposite, that they really work, but you have to spend a good deal of time training your dog with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I have a wireless "radio fence" and it works great.

I put the collar on the dog and put the stimulus down low to about 3 and brought him to the edge of the field it beeped and gave him a mild shock and when he backed off it stopped. (he was 12 weeks at the time) as he got older he got braver and one day I was forced to put it up higher.

He got one good "belt" from it and went up to his kennel, I have since switched it back to 3 in saying that he wont go any where near the perimeter for love nor money, with or without the collar. I do some training with him and if I throw the dummy to near the perimeter even with no collar he will sit and look at it but wont go after it.

It doesnt take long for them to cop on. In short the right type is well worth the money and I believe for the extra money the wireless system is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MIDLAND

same as you cavan shooter,

got one for my cocker about 4 months ago , to stop him from going on the road, 1 or 2 darts , turned down , and thats it,

took it of him for 2 months, notices he was getting brave again, put the collar back on , 1 dart , and thats was that,

2 months now with out collar , wont go near the road, he has 3/4 acre to run around,

endasmail
    the are completly harmless , just a mild shock,

mid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Celfl

Hi - We have a ten week old cocker and i am just wondering how old your cocker was before you put the collar on. We are scouring the net at the minute for solutions cos a few people have said they have to be older before you put the wireless collar on them.

Ta

Celfl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bunnybuster

Yes i had radio fence for my bullmastiff only went through it twice, you do need to train them a bit on it,doesnt wear it anymore ,will only go thruogh it on the lead.Dont know if i would use i again as the dog is now scarred of the beeping noice, anythink that makes the same beep will scare the dog (think they are going to get the shock).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Make sure to get the stubborn dog version, it is a 9V adjustable version. I have it on 2 labs and you couldnt drag the dog across the perimeter area !!

Much cheaper on the net http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETSAFE-PIG00-10777-STUBBORN-DOG-IN-GROUND-RADIO-FENCE_W0QQitemZ270428751013QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef6cf44a5&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 MIDLAND

Celfl wrote: »
    Hi - We have a ten week old cocker and i am just wondering how old your cocker was before you put the collar on. We are scouring the net at the minute for solutions cos a few people have said they have to be older before you put the wireless collar on them.

Ta

Celfl
    hi,celfl.
    my cocker was 10 months when started him on the collar,not sure bout the age 10 weeks seems very young ok, maybe someone might know
    mid

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

We used one on ours and worked perfectly once the instructions were carefully followed. There is some training involved its not a quick fix (not that i'm suggesting you looking for a quick fix!). Once she was trained in she would back off instantly when she heard the warning buzzer. We had the adjustable one with a 9v battery. She has thick hair so we used the longer probes. You have to make sure the collar is fitted correctly or it wont work or worse will injure the dogs neck. Obviously be careful never to control the dog by holding the radio collar.

Advertisement