Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Dublin Age Restrictions?

Options
  • 23-08-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Heya,

I want to go to a few gigs in the academy soon ie. Fleet Foxes, Codes.

But on Ticketmaster is says "18's and over only -ID required". Now I'll be 16 when these gigs are on so I was wondering whether you think they'll let me in or not? I've been told I look 17 or 18 but I don't know what to do with the ID thing.

Is there strict security at these gigs, like Ive been to the academy before but I don't think there was any age restrictions. I mean its only a small venue so the security can't be that tight right?

Thanks.

x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

If it's 18's you'll most likely be asked for ID I'm afraid. I'm 18 and I've always gotten asked when I go to a gig there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

It's an 18's venue. It's 18's because it's a licensed establishment serving controlled substances (alcohol).

You will just have to wait until you 18.

I do have a question though. Is it a form of fraud to present yourself at a gig if you are under-age with a ticket that expressly states (as most do) that you enter into an agreement with the promoter on purchase and that you agree to the terms therein?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

i'd try it,nothing ventured,nothing gained........wouldnt be the only "over 18" establishments with underage people them nights!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Just try and go anyway. Don't go with a big gang of friends, if I ever see clearly underaged people turned away it's because they're in a big unruly gang. Go in in twos and threes max. Best way to not get asked for IDs after looking older than 18 is to look confident. When I first started going out properly in town I was already 18, but I got stopped all the time, not because I looked especially young, but because I paused at the door in anticipation of being asked for IDs. Not that you should barge through security, but just give them a polite nod and a how'r'ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

Fleet Foxes is in Vicar St (and sold out).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Rhiannon.x

Toast wrote: »
    Fleet Foxes is in Vicar St (and sold out).

Yeah I meant to say Vicar Street for Feet Foxes and Passion Pit in the Academy, but again Vicar Street is an "over 18s ID required" venue..:(

Yeah I think I'll just chance it I'm only going with my boyfriend and/or my best friend so hopefully we might have a chance of getting in :D

Thanks for your answers!

x

• Registered Users Posts: 3 12 Major Chords

I'm planning to bring my sister along to the Julian Casablancas gig that's happening in December. Problem is that she's 17 - turning 18 on the 20th of December - while the gig is on the 14th. She's out by just six days. Now, I've brought her to the Cribs before and they turned her away at the door, so I had to miss it, too. Even though she would be with me, aged 23 (even I was asked for ID), they wouldn't let her in. Does anyone know if this can be overcome? Any management that be contacted or pre-arrangements or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I don't think contacting the management would do yourself favours. It's may be a simple policy but they're covering themselves from the law first and foremost.

I'd say chance it and if they refuse you can badger the bouncers until they budge. Your sister should present an ID aswell even though she is slightly underage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Amyyy

The Academy's over 18 rule is a pain because there's such good gigs coming up like passion pit and calvin harris. They should really change the age limit to 16/17, after all, most of these bands are more popular among more teenagers than adults. :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Amyyy wrote: »
    The Academy's over 18 rule is a pain because there's such good gigs coming up like passion pit and calvin harris. They should really change the age limit to 16/17, after all, most of these bands are more popular among more teenagers than adults. :mad::mad::mad:

They shouldnt, it would drive the cost of going to gigs up, cost of tickets would go up.

Just wait till you're 18 or get ID, everyone else had to contend with that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement