Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop someone from Killing themself?

• 23-08-2009 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

The background to this question:

On Thursday my mom recieved a call from a good friend of hers (let's call her P). She rang to say her mom had died the night before.

Anyway, P went to her dad's house to sort some stuff out for the funeral and the like, when she heard a car revving repeatedly in the garage next door.
    "Dad?" She says, "What's going on next door?".
    "Oh don't worry about that, Tony said there'd be some noise today but told me ignore it".

'OK' says she for a minute.
    "Dad, didn't Tony just lose his job?" She asked.
    "Yep, and his car got repossessed the other day - he loves that thing. I saw him yesterday, he shook my hand and said 'goodbye' "
    "Did he say where he was going?"
    "No, I didn't think to ask actually."
    (Her dad was still in a daze about the death of his wife, so wasn't quite with it)

Eventually, P talks to another neighbour and fire, police and ambulance turn up... obviously, the neighbour had tried to kill himself.

My question is; would you try and stop someone who was trying to kill themself or would you let them?

Personally I'd be in the first category, just wondering if anyone would be in the second.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

If his car was repossessed, what was he revving, his lawnmower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Oh sorry - the car that was repossessed was his cherished sports car, that he adored.

I imagine he must have had another car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I see, I see. :)

Did anyone try to speak to him/check he was killing himself or did the other neighbour just call all the emergency services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

i'd leave 'em to it. darwin would've wanted it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Well his door and garage were both locked so no one could get in, and obviously with the noise of the car he wouldn't have heard anyway.

The fire service had to force entry, so I presume he'd barricaded the door maybe? (Not sure though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

brummytom wrote: »
    Oh sorry - the car that was repossessed was his cherished sports car, that he adored.

I imagine he must have had another car.
    Well his door and garage were both locked so no one could get in, and obviously with the noise of the car he wouldn't have heard anyway.

The fire service had to force entry, so I presume he'd barricaded the door maybe? (Not sure though)
    Brummytom, Brummytom. You've been posting in AH long enough to know that you need to be in possession of all the facts in here. This is not good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

The background to this question:

On Thursday my mom recieved a call from a good friend of hers (let's call her P). She rang to say her mom had died the night before.

Anyway, P went to her dad's house to sort some stuff out for the funeral and the like, when she heard a car revving repeatedly in the garage next door.
    "Dad?" She says, "What's going on next door?".
    "Oh don't worry about that, Tony said there'd be some noise today but told me ignore it".

'OK' says she for a minute.
    "Dad, didn't Tony just lose his job?" She asked.
    "Yep, and his car got repossessed the other day - he loves that thing. I saw him yesterday, he shook my hand and said 'goodbye' "
    (Her dad was still in a daze about the death of his wife, so wasn't quite with it)

Eventually, P talks to another neighbour and fire, police and ambulance turn up... obviously, the neighbour had tried to kill himself.

My question is; would you try and stop someone who was trying to kill themself or would you let them?

Personally I'd be in the first category, just wondering if anyone would be in the second.

Teenager in a hissy fit and numerous other scenarios, I'd intervene
    Adult with head screwed on and mentally shipshape, particularly if they'd tried and failed before, I'd think twice before presuming I knew better than they did what they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

Poor fucker. It is a pretty selfish thing to do to your family/friends though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I would of course help and try stop somebody killing themselfs ,friend or stranger but suicidel people tend to fall into two catogories ie ,those who attempt but are really asking /wanting to be saved and those who succeed ie, they cut of as many escape exits as possible , they really want to die .

We do what we can to assist , when we can .

I was saddened to read of the young girl last week who after constant bullying on facebook or bebo , killed herself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

I actually was in that position myself a few years back...

Again, it was by sheer coincidence.

I was seeing an ‘older’ lady, anyway I was in a friend's house drinking and we got on the subject of ex's. I 'dared' him to phone his ex - he did with much awkwardness. So I had to phone mine, which was the older lady in question. I'm on the phone to her and I perceive she's really upset, lethargic etc. I ask if she's drunk - 'no' she says, she tells me she's after taking some sleeping pills and she's going to take a whole lot more and to stop bothering her.

Cut a long story short I get on my bike and pelt away out to her gaff and stop her taking the rest of the pills (they were some heavy-duty tranquilisers she'd gotten a prescription for) and I take them away with me. She told me she was certain she was going to do it that night. Just a crazy coincidence I phoned her. I still think about it... Glad I intervened though.

She had her flaws but she's an incredible person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Here's a question. If someone tells you they are going to kill themselves or are about to attempt it, could you be prosecuted for not contacting the gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I would try my best to stop them.
    At least it gives them time to evaluate what they tried to do.

Latchy wrote: »
    I was saddened to read of the young girl last week who after constant bullying on facebook or bebo , killed herself

that's ridiculous carry-on, sure if everyone got upset at bitching on the net AH would be like bridgend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

barakus wrote: »

I don't like people who say that tbh.

If someone reaches a point where they want to kill themselves they probably genuinely believe that no one will care or that there family and friends will be better of without them.

I don't think many people would kill themselves just to hurt their family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

barakus wrote: »

This kind of attitude is really uphelpful. Yes, in the normal course of life it seems really selfish, but have you ever experienced a mental breakdown / life-crushing trauma / a degenerative disease? We can't truly understand what goes through a suicide's mind because we haven't experienced their depth of pain.

So don't cast judgements...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

I would of course help and try stop somebody killing themselfs ,friend or stranger but suicidel people tend to fall into two catogories ie ,those who attempt but are really asking /wanting to be saved and those who succeed ie, they cut of as many escape exits as possible , they really want to die .

Now that I think about it, if this Tony guy was going around giving so many clues (saying Goodbye to people, telling them to ignore the suicidal sounds from his garage) then he probably wanted to be saved, even if he didn't know it himself.
    So, yeah, I'd call for help and hope I wasn't condemning him to years of misery on this earth.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm a writer for eastenders so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

genericguy wrote: »
    i'd leave 'em to it. darwin would've wanted it that way.

Darwin awards are usually awarded to those who kill themselves through stupidity.

Ironic huh.

that's ridiculous carry-on, sure if everyone got upset at bitching on the net AH would be like bridgend.

Bitching is not the same as constant bullying.

When someone kills themselves because of bullying in any way shape or form it is deeply saddening.

Not ridiculous carry on.

Grow up.

But we are not talking about bitching ...a la boards ...were talking about some young person who felt so threatend and bullied ( her good looks and personality had a lot to do with it ) that she coulden't cope .

Some other girl in uk this week was given a 3 month prison sentence for the same thing , bullying and harrasing a girl on facebook she new from school .First case of it's kind were somebody has being charged and found guilty of online harrasement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

'ere leave it art, don't do it mate..............................splat.

Was that one of yours?

Darwin awards are usually awarded to those who kill themselves through stupidity.

Ironic huh.

killing yourself is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

No. Nobody is ever going to take a decision like that lightly. Everyone should have control of their life and the end is part of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

I would try to stop a person killing themselves if I could, because I think if they died I would feel guilty in terms of those left behind, and the hurt suffered as a result. If they tried to take their life again, the chances are I wouldn't be around to stop them and I wouldn't feel that same guilt; they might never try it again and re-evalutate their lives and come to a happier state of mind.

I have no problem with people taking their own life, just as long as I don't have to feel like some sort of accomplice in the destruction of life- that sort of thing just ain't my bag, baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Pretty similar thing happened to me.

On Thursday I had my car repossessed.

Anyway, I went to garage to sort some stuff out in my old car and the like, when I heard the people shouting.
    "Sally" I says to my wife, "What's going on next door?".
    "Oh don't worry about that Tony, you said there'd be some noise today, and they should ignore it".

'OK' says me for a minute.
    "Tony, didn't the man next door just lose his wife?" She asked.
    "Yep, and his house got cleared out the other day - he loves that thing. I saw him yesterday, he shook my hand and said 'goodbye' "
    (I was in a daze trying to fix the car, so wasn't quite with it)

Eventually, the wife talks to another neighbour and fire, police and ambulance turn up... obviously, the neighbour had tried to kill himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

I don't like people who say that tbh.

If someone reaches a point where they want to kill themselves they probably genuinely believe that no one will care or that there family and friends will be better of without them.

I don't think many people would kill themselves just to hurt their family.[/quote]

I wasnt saying that people kill themselves to hurt their families. Yeah I suppose what I said was a bit insensetive but in fairness Ive seen the damage that suicide does, the people around the person do tend to blame themselves even though they could not have possibly known what was going on in the persons head at the time.

and im sorry but if you have children suicide should not be an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

You killed Danielle you bastard!!!!!!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

He said writer, not driver.

What we also have to remember is that peeps kill or try to kill themselfs for all kinds of reasons and it's not a rich / poor thing either, suicide effects people from all class / walks of life .

Emotional issues ie ,broken hearts , loss of another loved one, are as much a reason for suicides as any financial ones

• Advertisement

He said writer, not driver.

Who do you think wrote that? I was depressed for weeks.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Who do you think wrote that? I was depressed for weeks.

Do you feel suicidal?
    Can you act for less than 20,000 a year?
    You're not in a union are you?

Do you feel suicidal?
    Can you act for less than 20,000 a year?
    You're not in a union are you?

No/Yes/How dare you

It's casting couch time.
    Bow bow. Chicka chicka.

Suite.

It's casting couch time.
    Bow bow. Chicka chicka.

How do you cast a couch?

You line a whole load of them up for interviews?

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    How do you cast a couch?

You line a whole load of them up for interviews?

Of course. But on the downside It's more cushion for the pushin.

Of course. But on the downside It's more cushion for the pushin.

Kill me already before I have to endure more puns.

Night lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Without doubt i would try and intervene.when i was out on junior night one of my friemlnds killed herself because of her results.if i hadn't chosen to stay out another 30 minutes then i could have saved her.It's a pretty awful feeling.

I killed myself once. Pain in the arse really, wouldn't recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

This thread is absolute bollox.... if this thread had started when Michael Jackson had killed himself , we'd all be banned.......

• Advertisement

skregs wrote: »
    I killed myself once. Pain in the arse really, wouldn't recommend it
    This thread is absolute bollox.... if this thread had started when Michael Jackson had killed himself , we'd all be banned.......
    Welcome to AH ,were nothing , not even suicide is not taken serious ,including your posts .

goodnight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I don't think many people would kill themselves just to hurt their family.
    David Platt tried that before.

He survived.:(

nothing... is not taken serious

I think you'll find the correct usage of negatives is in fact a deadly serious matter

Welcome to AH ,were nothing , not even suicide is not taken serious ,including your posts .

goodnight .

It is when it's some ****in grade A nutjob though, because he was a celeb and was never "found guilty" of being a dirty Pedo..... **** that.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Anyone ever see Office Space?

If you have you'll remember the scene:pac:

It is when it's some ****in grade A nutjob though, because he was a celeb and was never "found guilty" of being a dirty Pedo..... **** that.:mad:
    Exactly, Not Guilty.

skregs wrote: »
    I think you'll find the correct usage of negatives is in fact a deadly serious matter
    if you read my posts you would see that but your post on the subject like mine, is just another post except mine are not as flippant ..you understand the difference ?

Exactly, Not Guilty.

So why couldn't we say we didn't give a shiiite he died and make "distasteful" jokes??

We are not talking about MJ who as far as I am aware ,died of ' misadventure ' ie , not intentional although that has yet to be proved

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement